Thread: Help for kachemak bay crab

Default Help for kachemak bay crab

I have never done the crabbing out of Homer but weather depending I am wanting to go out this weekend. If anyone has any info on how its been , where is a good spot to start, how deep ( I have enough rope on the pots to go to about 380ft but I can get more if needed) what you put in there for bait ect. You can pm if you would like. Any help will be greatly appreciated.. My plan for now is to just go up the bay twords the head of it and drop the pots in about 250 ft of water and see what happens.

Thanks

Default this weekend looks like crummy weather....

but if you go up the bay you won't find doodly for tanners.
    head out past the green can a couple miles until you start to see pots.
    you will need to find at least 350', deeper is better. i usually set in 400'-450'. SOP is a 100 fathom shot of sinking line. (btw, put "line" on your pots, "rope" is for horses.)
    there is also a deep spot near gull island that i have fished in the summer but never the winter so i don't know if it would produce. if you miss the hole there you will load with starfish.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Thanks

Thanks homerdave I will give it a shot, been looking at the weather forcast and calling for heavy freezing spray this weekend so it may have to wait till next weekend. Wanted to do a little king fishing too so hoping for ok weather at the least and I dont want the wife to get sick either.

set your pot, bait it really heavy with fish carcasses, and go trolling.
    a 5-6 hour soak should get you a bunch of crab!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Thumbs up Kachemak Crab

Yeah like Dave said deeper than 350' I dont fish any shallower. I use at least 600" of line and you will definetly need to add more to your setups.I have fished as deep as 550" and done well.
    I like to add a Salmon carcass and a bait jug with a ground bait I grind myself from my secret reciepe.
    Your pots are important too those cheap danielson folding wire pots don't do very well. I have had good luck with my Gear Shed pots. Potbuilder makes some nice folding crab pots that also work pretty good.
    I have gotten as many as 25+ keepers and over 125+ total crabs in as little as 6 hours. If you get into snails and starfish move as you are in a bad spot for crabs.
    The outer bay is definetly the best but I have found crab in the inner bay.
    The best I have done in the inner bay was 14 keepers.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Yeah like Dave said deeper than 350' I dont fish any shallower. I use at least 600" of line and you will definetly need to add more to your setups.I have fished as deep as 550" and done well.
    I like to add a Salmon carcass and a bait jug with a ground bait I grind myself from my secret reciepe.
    Your pots are important too those cheap danielson folding wire pots don't do very well. I have had good luck with my Gear Shed pots. Potbuilder makes some nice folding crab pots that also work pretty good.
    I have gotten as many as 25+ keepers and over 125+ total crabs in as little as 6 hours. If you get into snails and starfish move as you are in a bad spot for crabs.
    The outer bay is definetly the best but I have found crab in the inner bay.
    The best I have done in the inner bay was 14 keepers.

I've got one of Potbuilders Colaspable Crab traps and fished it last August. My buddy fished one of the pots from Kachemack Gear Shed. Both pots fished about the same, but Potbuilders pot is alot easier to handle and store and 1/2 the weight. I didn't have a problem with it moving with the current so the weight is good. Recommend his pots to anyone especially if storage room is an issue.