Thread: Caribou hunt around Iliamna

Default Caribou hunt around Iliamna

I am planning a Caribou hunt for August of 2007 and was looking to go with Holliday Air that flies out of Iliamna. Two questions come up that I would like feedback on. 1) Anybody have experiences with Holliday Air? 2) How is the caribou herd in that area?

You can PM me with any and all information. Thank you.

Randy

Default illiamna

The herd is beat down bad. Probably can still find a caribou to shoot but a booner may be non existant. Hollidays has been operating out there a long time and are good folks. Lots in the archives about the mulchatna herd I would imagine. Been on a steady decline for several years.

Default Holiday air

Terry seems like a great person, he was reccomended by another friend. Went out with another partner in mid-August -----------saw 2 boo in 6 days, Terry's pilot dropped us off in a spot where "he had seen some in the past" on the filght in we only saw 4 bunches and he put us down nowhere near them----------total cost was only $1100 (for 2) but I would have spent alot more for some action-----------nice guy-----bad experience
    Hope this helps

Default Information

Thank you all for the responses here and by PM. It looks like I have some more research to do on the herd level there.

Randy

Default Caribou - Iliamna- 0

The caribou situation around here is dismal at best. While theres a few running around the Nush nobody is seeing even remotely decent size bulls anymore. It was almost like a planned desimation watching the air taxis and transporters desend on the Mulchatna herd enmass driving it 250 miles west.