Thread: Comparison of Pocket Semi-Automatic Handguns

Default Comparison of Pocket Semi-Automatic Handguns

Stumbled upon this comparison and I deemed it worth sharing.

Check it out HERE

Default Good info

Thanks, never saw a comparison like that before. A real good visual comparison, especially like the way the fingers wrap around the grips. Thanks, Mark

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

There is an article comparing the compact 380s in the latest American Rifleman.

My pick was the Walther PK380. (I didn't see it in that .pdf file.)

But, I already have Walther PPK.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

That's a really effective comparison. I like the dotted-line boxes to give any idea of a 2D size comparison. The only thing I wish they had included was the barrel lengths. One of my favorite stats on concealed handguns is the overall length minus the barrel length. To me, it gives a good idea of how efficiently you are using your volume.

I read the AR analysis of the autos Smitty mentioned, and had never heard of the Rohrbaugh before. It came out as high as any other in reliability, function, etc... Has anyone ever shot one?

Smitty: I think the Walther is the best balancing little gun I have held--though the Sig 232 is pretty close and perhaps a little more advanced in some ways. But my brother and a co-worker, who each have Interarms PPKs have had really nasty feeding problems. My father fixed my brother's by identifying and filing down some burrs on the inside of the slide. Now his works perfect. My co-worker is going to bring his Walther for me to look at (sometime when were both in VA, not DC), but he says it will simply not fire more than one round at a time with either magazine and with either of the Federal and Rem ammo I let him have (had some extra and there's no 32 ACP available now). Question: I've heard that the pre-Interarms PPKs and the new S&W versions work a lot better. What kind is yours, is it Interarms, and do you know if that is true?

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    Question: I've heard that the pre-Interarms PPKs and the new S&W versions work a lot better. What kind is yours, is it Interarms, and do you know if that is true?
    S&W has had problems with their PPK to the point of a recall. I don't have one but as a fan of Smith I have others and somehow my name got on the list of PPK owners. I keep getting letters saying I need to send it in but I don't remember why because I don't have one.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

My PPK is an OLD one as far as manufacture goes, but it's pretty much in New Condition. I bought it new, a long time ago. I think it was made in Germany.

It's very reliable. I recall only ONE Jam, about a month ago, (with Wolf steel case ammo) but I don't shoot it often.

I used it for a basic handgun class the other day. I fired less than a box, of ammo, and there were no issues. At the class, I was shown how to hold it, and now the recoil doesn't hurt me.

I need to shoot it more, since it's become one of my CC guns. I guess, I'm lucky to have it.

The PK380s are spose to be very much like the P22 and it has good sights. Also, and like the PPK, it's DA/SA. It sounded like a winner.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    My PPK is an OLD one as far as manufacture goes, but it's pretty much in New Condition. I bought it new, a long time ago. I think it was made in Germany.

It's very reliable. ...
    Yeah, I've heard that the older German PPKs are pretty much golden. You are lucky to have one. Thanks for your reply.

My dad gave me his old prized pre-68 Browning .380 about 14 years ago for a graduation. It's pretty neat too, and you barely can get them any more, but I prize it a little too much to carry it around. I carry my Kelt-Tec 380 just about anywhere I go except DC. I know it may seem cheap to some, but it (and my older .32 KT) have never failed to fire when I pulled the trigger. But you really can't hit the side of a barn with them past about 15 yard (though that's pretty irrelevant with a gun like that). My KT just goes in my right front pocket when my keys go in my left one. I barely notice I even have it. With anything much bigger (even by 9mm Kahr), I wouldn't have it with me nearly as often for good or bad. The Rorhbaugh intrigues me because it is about the same size, which is true of both the .380 and the 9mm variants.

I own the AMT Backup in .45. I've read about a lot of problems the Backup has, none of which my gun seems to have. It does have a problem in that loading it up with a full magazine and one in the chamber (5+1) causes failures to feed. Load 4+1 and it will shoot all day. I need to get some extra mags to see if it's a mag problem.

It's heavy in the pocket, but that weight is nice when it shoots. The Para Warthog and the Glock 30 aren't really that much bigger, thicker of course, but not much bigger in the hand. I've been thinking along those lines-liking the 10+1 in .45

Seecamp. The one, the only, the ultimate

I carry a seecamp 380. Its a great little gun. Mine has funtioned flawlessly. Its so small, I forget I have it on me. The waiting list for a new one can be pretty long.

Anyone have any experience with the sig P238?

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Anyone have any experience with the sig P238?

I haent fired one extensively, but I got 12 in earlier in the week and have 6 left so I guess folks like 'em

Of the long list of pocket pistols I've messed with I really like the Sig 230/232 series... about as big as I can really consider a pocket gun.

Mine have fired and functioned flawslessly and shoot as good as a full size service pistol. I preferred the flatter grips on the now-cancelled P230 but the P232 is a fine weapon as well.

I had a close-up look at the Walther PK 380 today. It is much larger than the others, compared, and maybe shouldn't be considered a "Pocket Semi-Auto".

However, it appears to be a fine pistol, and the DA/SA is something I really like. It's only a bit larger all around, than the Walther P22, has great sights, and I'm sure it's pleasant to shoot.

Now, that I've seen them, I believe that my PPK would be easier to conceal, but I dunno. It kinda depends on the weight. A heavy gun will pull down on your pocket, and make it obvious that something heavy is in there.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

For a pocket pistol, 100% reliable is a must. Everyone has a favorite, but I only trust Sig. Although not tiny, the 232 SS with night sights is it! There's a reason they're hard to find!

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    For a pocket pistol, 100% reliable is a must. Everyone has a favorite, but I only trust Sig. Although not tiny, the 232 SS with night sights is it! There's a reason they're hard to find!
    I looked that one up. http://www.katsko.net/Firearms/SIG/sig232sns.html It looks like a goodern.

In the article they mentioned and pictured the Sig Sauer P238. It's small but looks box-ie, and it is Single Action, rather than DAO, or DA/SA. You'd hafta carry it around cocked with safety on, if you wanted to get it into action in a hurry.

It malfunctioned too. All of those tested did, except the Taurus 738 TCP, and approx 100 rnds were fired in each gun. Kahr suggested that 200 rnds. be fired before trusting the reliability of their product, and it was suggested by the author, that should apply to them all.

I'm sure that different guns of the same brand, and type would have varying reliability, depending on the ammo and the particular pistol.

Just so everyone knows how expert I am, I submit that "I", even I, could design a better compact pistol than any of them. I'd just make the grips longer, to handle the recoil better, for more better shooting, in terms of comfort and accuracy.

It's the barrel length that means the most for CC, not the grip. IMO, anyway.

Now, watch them basstads steal my idea, and not pay me.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Just so everyone knows how expert I am, I submit that "I", even I, could design a better compact pistol than any of them. I'd just make the grips longer, to handle the recoil better, for more better shooting, in terms of comfort and accuracy.

It's the barrel length that means the most for CC, not the grip. IMO, anyway.

Now, watch them basstads steal my idea, and not pay me.

Smitty of the North
    They were quick at it Smitty, just watched them testing it on Guns & Ammo TV last week or so. Don't remember who made it though.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona