Thread: New ACB Boat at Seattle Boat Show!

Default New ACB Boat at Seattle Boat Show!

They have a $85,000 special on a 25' Aluminum chambered boat with a 225hp motor at the boat show in Seattle. I have never seen this model before but was wondering what the experts in the forum thought about it. I have been on the fence about upgrading my boat for the past 2 years and this looks like a great deal!

http://www.acbboats.com/2500_acb_explorer/index.html#

I attached a crappy camera phone picture. I'll try to take a better one tonight when I go to the show again.

I have a friend who has a 25' acb, and he really likes it. He ended up upszing to a much larger boat as their family of four found it just too small for cruising trips.

But for a fishing machine, and at that price, you're getting one heck of a boat!

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

Are you sure about that price? Last time I checked they wanted about $150-$200K for a boat that size. Had I have known that I would have looked at their boats when I was shopping. I like what I am having built but I would have at least looked.

That price is correct. They wanted to make a boat that competed with the rest of the production boats on the market. They took out quite a bit of the internal framing, used fewer chambers, thinner material, and of course did the old boat show trick of running minimal power on the hull. I spent some time on it, and it looked like a pretty nice boat. This is the first of their "budget line" of boats, so it will be interesting to see how things turn out.

Bob

That price IS amazing for an ACB. About time. I know a few people who own ACBs and no body doesn't like their boat. As for power I don't think the boat is underpowered. The boat is Aluminum and ACBs are efficient. I only wish I hadn't bought a new Ocean Pro last year I'd have tightened my waistbelt to buy an new 25' 85K ACB with a 225.

Paul H is correct most people who could buy the smaller ACBs recently loved em so much they upgraded to larger ones.

Sobie2

What exactly is the appeal of ACBs? Is it the fact that they're less likely to sink because of the chambers? Do they ride better? Fit and finish? Just curious. I went inside one once and if I remember correctly it seems like the interior was small. Kind of like when you have an inflatable and it looks big until you get inside and have to fit all your gear on the deck between the tubes.

Default A.C.B.

The inside cabin width of an A.C.B. is slightly thinner, on some models, to accommodate the room necessary to walk outside of the cabin to go fore and aft. A.C.B.'s have always been built to high standards and specs to keep in line with their many government contracts. The air chambers cushion the downward moment of the bow and afford a more stable ride, with added stability side to side. My main reason for owning one is the survivability of the air chambers while navigating the frigid waters of Alaska. It's an insurance policy for knowing you'll make it home.

Default Ugly, waste of space

All boats made after a certain year (can't remember exactly, late 70's) had to be manufactured so they would float, they would not sink, holes or no holes, past there gunnel top. So if you capsize a ACB or capsize a regular boat they are there to cling to until rescued. So why bother getting a ACB with a tiny cabin for a situation that probably will never happen?

Default There's a boat made for everyone;

While you and your family are clinging to life on a half sunk boat, I'll be there to rescue you with just a chamber out, but plenty of floatation to take you back to safety! As far as cabin size, there's something for everyone. If you don't need the ability to walk outside and around your cabin, then there are plenty of boats, A.C.B.'s included, to choose from!

Look at the way they measure to boat on their web site.The boat is really a 23'.I am a big ACB fan and will have one some day but not this boat.Don't get me wrong it is a good deal but not what I think an ACB should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    All boats made after a certain year (can't remember exactly, late 70's) had to be manufactured so they would float, they would not sink, holes or no holes, past there gunnel top. So if you capsize a ACB or capsize a regular boat they are there to cling to until rescued. So why bother getting a ACB with a tiny cabin for a situation that probably will never happen?
    I'm surprised to hear that about manufacturing all boats so that the don't sink. My 24ft glass boat has no built-in flotation so I don't know what would make it stay afloat if it took on too much water. Especially with all the crap I keep on it.

Boats UNDER 20 feet have to have flotation. It doesn't apply to larger boats.

I still stand by the boat being underpowered with the 225. They haven't tested it yet, but the sales guy said it should top out near 40mph. That's a bit on the low side for my tastes on a boat of that size. I am happy cruising much slower but I need a little more reserve power when I am coming across the bar loaded down after a day of fishing.

Bob

Bob I agree with you.I did not think ACB would ever lower their standards enough to play the boat show games.I know times are tough but come on.