Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ivishak River

Default Ivishak River

Looking at comming up and going on the Ivishak River. I am from Kansas and was wondering if it was any good for carbiou hunting?

Default You wouldn't be in Kansas anymore...

There are caribou in the general area, but seems the last couple of years has been tougher to find the mature bulls. It is getting an increase in pressure of late with airboats, rafters, etc partly because road accessible from one end = less expensive than fly out/fly back. Depends on what kind of experience you are looking for and how much you plan to spend. Use the search function and you will find much more info in the archives.

Thanks, we have a jet boat in Wasilla is the river good enough to go up in it. 20 foot with 50 HP jet.

Default search the archives

There is a fair amount of info on this river, beatiful river & scenery, it is getting more & more crowded every year. With all the guides, & transporters dropping more people on it the last few yrs it appears that the animals are moving off the river corridor some. Which just means you have to walk a little further & work a little harder & not just hunt the river, but there are still plenty of bou around.

Thanks for the info. Hope to be up Sept 9-23.

Quote Originally Posted by slickmcit View Post
    Thanks for the info. Hope to be up Sept 9-23.
    You might want to rethink either your timeline or your technique. During that time most residents will be moose hunting. That's the good news, the bad news is the river has been running low the last few years and the 3rd week of September will mostly likely bring freezing conditions making it worse. I floated the Ivishak 2 year ago, we had to drag the raft the last mile to the boat ramp. That was around the first week or sept.
    Airboat country mostly and a few fellows that just know their stuff. Seen many broken boats and trailers on that road. Plenty been written on it, pull up a chair and have a good read.

Beautiful country and worth the trip.

We hunted it in Aug. of 2006 and the hunting was spectacular. 5 of us killed 5 bulls in 3 days. Could have easily been done on day 1. The hunting I don't think has been as good since then.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default The Shack

if you want to run it with your boat you better go mid Aug, Water levels by Sept are way down, and it drops fast. The water levels on the shack are very dependent on snow fall and rain. With the very little snow on the north side this year you can expect water levels to be way down. Mid Aug tends to be rainy and your best chance at decent water levels and not tearing up your boat

Default Read

Read everything you can find on the Haul Road on the forum. It is not an easy trip towing a boat. I have seen many a trailer left alongside the road needing repairs. Lots of information on the forum about the trip hunt, and the road. Tires, fuel, repairs, driving ethics, ..... everything. Read it all. THIS ISN'T KANSAS any more. Just helping. This fall will be my 4-5 trip up there to hunt. Good luck.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Consider Randy Quincy taking you up the Ivishak in a jet boat. I know someone who did this trip and will put you in contact with them if you want to PM me your email address. Randy drops folks off up on the Ivishak. He does a trip every 5-7 days. About $3,000 would be the total cost from what I recall and that would be for up to four hunters. Email or call him for more info if interested. Be sure to take your fishing rod. His drop off is near some great dolly fishing and Sept is primetime.

Randy Quincy
    1-866-3SALMON (372-5666)
    www.airboatfishing.com
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Randy is a great option. This will be my 3rd year using him. I think about everything posted hits the nail on the head. Last year we were finding the bigger bulls 3 miles off the river. Last year we went the first week of Sept and the water was high. Jetboats could go anywhere. The year before it was low and we really didn't see any jetboats as they couldn't get very far without damaging the boat. Randy has the airboat so as long as the rocks are wet he will get you there.

We seen caribou pretty much everyday. Last year was less than the year before and they were farther off.

This year we are going in the first week of August so we shall see if that makes a diference.

Char fishing is better toward the end of Aug and early Sept.

Randy pulls out of there around the first week of Sept so if you want to hire him you need to book in August or the first week of Sept.

Grayling fishing is Phenom and Char later is the same.

Definately quite a few people that hunt it. Just depends if you get lucky with one near the river or if your willing to put the miles on. Good numbers of bear and wolverine but that isn't open until Sept 1.

Default Price

Whats his price for a drop off hunt?

Quote Originally Posted by 375ultramag View Post
    Randy is a great option. This will be my 3rd year using him. I think about everything posted hits the nail on the head. Last year we were finding the bigger bulls 3 miles off the river. Last year we went the first week of Sept and the water was high. Jetboats could go anywhere. The year before it was low and we really didn't see any jetboats as they couldn't get very far without damaging the boat. Randy has the airboat so as long as the rocks are wet he will get you there.

We seen caribou pretty much everyday. Last year was less than the year before and they were farther off.

This year we are going in the first week of August so we shall see if that makes a diference.

Char fishing is better toward the end of Aug and early Sept.

Randy pulls out of there around the first week of Sept so if you want to hire him you need to book in August or the first week of Sept.

Grayling fishing is Phenom and Char later is the same.

Definately quite a few people that hunt it. Just depends if you get lucky with one near the river or if your willing to put the miles on. Good numbers of bear and wolverine but that isn't open until Sept 1.

Default Price

I think he's up to about $3K for three people and gear. But if you are still planning to take your boat, you may want to take the others advise and go mid August. We usually take a airboat along with an XS around the last of Aug and first of Sept. Some years we get both boats up river and others we just have to take the airboat. The water can drop a foot or more over night the later in the year you get. It'd be a bummer if you had to leave the boat out on the main channel and walk back to the truck with everything. But non the less it's a great trip.

Thanks cant go this year because planning a yukon moose hunt but that will be my big hunt for 2011. Just trying to get as much info as possiable, thanks again Chris

Quote Originally Posted by GAredneck View Post
    I think he's up to about $3K for three people and gear. But if you are still planning to take your boat, you may want to take the others advise and go mid August. We usually take a airboat along with an XS around the last of Aug and first of Sept. Some years we get both boats up river and others we just have to take the airboat. The water can drop a foot or more over night the later in the year you get. It'd be a bummer if you had to leave the boat out on the main channel and walk back to the truck with everything. But non the less it's a great trip.

Default Ivishak River

Slickmcit
    Where are you at in Kansas? I am also here in Ks. and will be in alaska the same time as you
    Send me a Pm if you want.
    Doug

Saw a lot of boats up there in early to mid September last year. In the past I've seen a couple of airboats, but last year there was an amazing amount of traffic for that late in the year. Lots of boats having lots of problems. River level didn't seem too bad, although we've run very shallow like that before and added some character to the boat. Latest I've gone up was September 1st years ago and got hammered by snow on the way out. I'd stick to the August time frame if you are running your own boat.

Randy is 3K for 4 people and each person get 100 pounds of gear and then he throws your rafts in on top of that.

If you take an electric pump you can hook onto his battery and blow up the rafts.

OK,I guess that the plans have changed. Comming up on Aug the 24th and going home to K.C. on Sept 9th. From what I have read, the river should be fine that time of the year for a jet boat. If I am wrong could someone please advised me. Thanks and really love comming to Alaska.

As mentioned before, more traffic seems to be headed up there in late August to mid September. The last two years it hasn't been too bad that late, but years prior to that was extremely low water and some freezing. Be prepared, especially for your trip out.

Make sure to camp 2-3 feet above the river level. If you see rain in the mountains, the water level can come up quick. I have seen it rise nearly 4 feet in one day. We camped on the Echooka and had 4-5 foot banks that were nearly flowing over the next day from all the rain. The Echooka was running like the Tanana and we made it way up there.

Not much wood up there for campfires, but you can find plenty of dead willow to burn. If you aren't camping next to an area with a bunch of willows, you should plan to bring some wood, or spend part of the days out on the boat collecting what you can find.

A 20' with a 50 horse will get you up there fine. Just make sure to stay on it, read the shallows wisely and know when to back off so you don't destroy your jet unit. If you are thinking about coming up with a prop, save your time, stay home, rent some movies. Never lock your motor down.

I'll probably be up there around mid to late August, so maybe I'll see you there. Hopefully we'll have my Predator and my dad's friends Sport Jon this year. Good luck!

It used to be a great hunt - too many people now. Made the trip several times in the 1990's, most every time managed to tear a hole in the boat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast