Thread: Ruger Hawkeye vs Ruger MII

Default Ruger Hawkeye vs Ruger MII

What did Ruger do different when they went from the MKII to the Hawkeye? Will a walnut stock originally intended for a MkII fit a Hawkeye?

The only difference is a slimmer stock and a different finish on the metal.

And to answer your question, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    And to answer your question, yes.
    Thank you sir! EKC

And.....the trigger. I think it is better out of the box and the design is simple and strong. It is a plus over the Mk II. Some guns also have sights and they are better than previous offerings. I will go on record as saying the Hawkeye is the very best rifle Ruger has ever made.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    And.....the trigger. I think it is better out of the box and the design is simple and strong. It is a plus over the Mk II. Some guns also have sights and they are better than previous offerings. I will go on record as saying the Hawkeye is the very best rifle Ruger has ever made.
    Wow! Thats a pretty good plug for the Hawkeye! My confidence in Ruger has always been strong but it just got even stronger..Thanks Murphy

Default Ruger Hawkeye

I bought a new LH RugerHawkey short action 7-08 blue wood, mine looked like it was rushed to make production. Bedding was awfull it took a lot of work to make it right. My late production MK 2 LH SS 06 was perfect, so was my LH 375 Ruger SS Laminate Hawkeye. I like the lines of the Ruger Hawkeye stock and rifle, wish they would continue to make SS LH rifles.

I just bought a stainless Hawkeye in 338 Federal. I just don't like the feel of those plastic stocks and happen to have a brand new walnut stock that was taken off a MkII in favor of a Hogue stock. I've always favored blue steel and walnut and can live with the stainless gun so long as it has a walnut stock!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I just bought a stainless Hawkeye in 338 Federal. I just don't like the feel of those plastic stocks and happen to have a brand new walnut stock that was taken off a MkII in favor of a Hogue stock. I've always favored blue steel and walnut and can live with the stainless gun so long as it has a walnut stock!
    I bet that rifle looks nice. Post a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I bet that rifle looks nice. Post a picture.
    I bought it off gunbroker and it's still in transit. Its one of the ones with the matte stainless finish (maybe they all are...dunno)! Gunbroker auction 156318779, ended 2/2 if you want to see it now. I will post a picture after I swap stocks!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I bought it off gunbroker and it's still in transit. Its one of the ones with the matte stainless finish (maybe they all are...dunno)! Gunbroker auction 156318779, ended 2/2 if you want to see it now. I will post a picture after I swap stocks!
    Looks nice. I bet even better once you get a walnut stock on it. There's just something special about stainless and walnut, imo. An M8 4x Leupold would be a great scope for that rifle as well. You got that rifle just in time to get it ready for spring bear.

Matt, I live in Iowa and bear are scarce in these parts. I stashed back a stainless synthetic 77 in 350 mag in the event that a trip to Alaska does come to be. At one point a short time ago a bear hunt was in the works but a sudden family medical emergency put a damper on it.

The Asian/Russian boar hunting that is going on in the lower 48 prompted the 338 purchase. Cost wise shooting one of those big tuskers is very doable. An open invite to tag along has been offered so I'm using that as an excuse to recoup my gun count!

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    I bought a new LH RugerHawkey short action 7-08 blue wood, mine looked like it was rushed to make production. Bedding was awfull it took a lot of work to make it right. My late production MK 2 LH SS 06 was perfect, so was my LH 375 Ruger SS Laminate Hawkeye. I like the lines of the Ruger Hawkeye stock and rifle, wish they would continue to make SS LH rifles.
    The reason I started this thread is because I looked at a Hawkeye briefly at a gunshow and was not impressed with that one anyway. The wood was tight on one side of the barrel channel but there was a 1/8 inch gap on the other side. I spotted that flaw as soon as I picked it up and placed it back on the table without further thought. I am bad with first impressions and for a while that one stuck. However I have looked at several since and they looked good as far as fit and finish. I've come to the conclusion that you can buy a fluke in any brand including Ruger but since they have been my mainstay for 30 years.........