Thread: Bear Fences Work!!!!!!

Default Bear Fences Work!!!!!!

I think Iíve got the wife hooked on Bear hunting. She really gets a rush from it and remains calmer than any body else Iíve hunted with. This past October, she had some unscheduled time off. I got on the phone and booked us a ride into unit 9, she had a bear tag and wanted to fill it with a big peninsula brown bear. No time to ship ahead, so we packed a bear camp into 4 50lbs bags. We booked a room at a B&B in King Salmon, The proprietor was nice enough to buy us some propane from the local store for our cooking and heating needs. Mama likes to be warmÖ The B&B was awesome, the owner gave us a lift to the airtaxiís office and before long we were loaded and flying over the flat terrain.

The weather had been real bad the week before and some very heavy rains had come through. I knew it had rained, but I didnít know that it was monsoon like rain.
    We arrived at our lake, only to find the salmon stream overflowing and floodwater everywhere.

We unloaded the plane and found the flattest, sheltered, dry spot we could and setup camp. We surrounded the tent with a bear fence. The skies were crystal clear and we had light winds. We resisted the urge to have a look around and spread our scent. Instead we admired the view and spent the evening glassing the mountainside.

The next morning we woke to cloud to the ground weather. We couldnít see 100ft from the tent. The wife being ever prepared broke out her Iphone and we watched a movie after breakfast. The clouds had lifted enough for us to work our way to some high ground and observe a gravel bar that was being worked by some Gulls. We glassed until the cold and dark forced us to seek the shelter of our warm camp.

The 2nd day we awoke to dead calm winds and near zero visibility. We spent the day chatting and hoping for better weather. With the water high into the alders and the surrounding low ground over knee deep, travel was very limited. I knew the best thing we could do was sit tight and hope the weather improved. We enjoy each others company and the remainder of the day passed quickly.

The 3rd day dawned with a light wind. Soon the wind direction had shifted and the clouds lifted. We took advantage of the break in weather and made for our spotting knob. We finally were able to fully glass our entire hunting area. We remained on that knob all day, we never spotted a single bear.

4th day we woke to day 2 conditions, zero wind and zero vis. We read the books we brought. Then we read the regs, then read the regs again, ate again. Took a nap, looked out, still foggy, back to sleep. Time to eat again. It was so foggy it seemed like it got dark earlier.

Day 5 Repeat of day 2 and 4. Now I said we enjoy each others company, but 3 days in a tent is still a little much. The bad thing is we canít leave if we want, not even the Gulls are flying.

Day 6 We wake to screeching Gulls and clear skies. We again moved to our high ground and dug in for a long sit. After several hours, we decided to try to navigate to the mountainside. The flooded alders were too much for us, and we retreated back to our knob. The views were grand, but we never did see hide nor hair of Mr bear. We return to camp feeling the increasing chill of the October evening.

Our last day brings a cold crisp morning. You could tell that the lake we were on would soon be covered with ice. We called to make sure our ride was on the way and started breaking camp as soon as we got the word. We soon heard the sound of our ride home. In no time we were on our way back to King Salmon.

Flor doing the plane dance...Always good to see the plane.

So, itís clear to me that darn fence worked too good, it scared off every bear in our valley!!! LOL We still had a great trip. Made it home safe with all our stuff, and we know where not to go next year. Also found out the hard way that some airlines charge a fee to change your ticket and some donít. Ask before you book, hunters more often than not have to change tickets for weather delays.

Steve how do you afford so many hunts??? " Well, I'm in dept up to eye balls!!!! LOL

Default Those fences like wet weather...

and they work real well on people too (as my brother found out during our hunt this past October).

v/r

salcha star road

Default Nice report

STID-
    Great report. Super company makes for a super hunt every time...jim

Yep, they work well After clearing our compound of grass with a machete last year on Kodiak I vowed to bring along a gas powered weed wacker the next time
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Stid

Another good story from you . I always know if you post a hunt story it will be well written .
    I have that same bear fence and it has worked great on two spring Brown bear hunts on Kodiak , kept them bears out of the Valley and out of the bay we were in !!!
    Thanks again

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Steve,

Great pics, neat story, we've done the plane dance many times ourselves. Not very good at it cuz quite a few times it never brought a plane on schedule.

Re: bear fences, I've always figured that bear hunters who don't use bear fences are more successful because they are more paranoid of getting eaten while in the tent and tend to not spend as much time in the tent...

...and then they see bears through the fog and rain! <grin>

(ps, them Iphones are something else!)

Luckily you also used orange ribbon to keep the elephants out. Thanks for the trip

I was wondering when you'd post the report on this hunt. I remember you saying you were going down that way. Too bad about the weather and lack of bears. But I bet it still beat sitting at home.

Steve it is good to know that the bear fences actually work, my wife will feel so much safer being out with me once I pick one up. Then again I might just forget to bring it after your experience and that of Ranger Rick.

Stid these last couple trip reports have me again believing that we need (yet another) sub forum. It is a real shame that these greats stories get "lost in the woods" with all the other posts. Be really interesting to do an AOD year book every even or odd year with all of the trip reports from the past couple seasons.

...great pictures, and account of this hunt you two undertook!
    - I've never seen a picture of a bear fence, before-
    -I've enjoyed reading this thread!

Default Nice Story, what a life

Man Stid, you have got a good life, Your posts are really done well, Your post of Kodiak Deer Hunt a while back is still one of my favorites,

These kind of Hunt Stories are the stuff we are all about and I am up for whatever it takes to keep them from getting buried in the past posts. New here so not at all sure how to find more of these but they are why I am involved in this forum as much as all the good info I am getting from experienced guys.

Is there some key words to help in finding these, how do you search out these from the rest?

Thanks for putting this together, hoping to try my own shot at this soon

Default Thanx Stid!

Nice story & pics - I always enjoy your posts and especially enjoy reading ones that are from such true outdoors lovers! There are many many more moments of enjoyment spent on such a trip that does not involve pulling a trigger - yet we often do not get to hear about those.
    I think the worst times I have spent were waiting for a plane hoping I would not have to unpack again if it didn't show up as that seems to be the pits! I was not aware of "The Plane Dance" and now realize I may be on to a secrete!
    Thanks again...