Thread: Drift boats...

Default Drift boats...

Mods, feel free to move this if you think this is not the right area of the forums.

Drift boats. Who's got one? What do you have? Why do you like it?
    Thninking of buying one. Doing the research.

Default Yep and no longer

Ben

If your moving not a bad choice and to be honest not a bad choice for fishing Kings on the Lower Chena however if your not planning on spending time south the application IMO is not worth the purchase.

Gulkana seen them used and of course seen them get beat up hard. To much water IMO on the Tonsina and Klutina again IMO.

I like my buds 20ft Willies did not care for our 16ft to small for more than a person or two. Ran the entire Kenia last year had an 8HP motor on the back low water was a hair rasing trip to say the least.

What I do not like about them is after rafting you have to be careful how you oar the thing which although similar the appraoch is different.

With some of todays raft designs and cataraft designs you can accomplish many of the same applications again IMO as a drift boat.

Just my 28 cents worth. They have their place which IMO is way South of Fairbanks.

I am with MOOSE, try to stick one in a super cub?? Not many roads up here!!

Thanks guys, but I make several trip to the Kenai during the summer. My in laws are retiring this year and have a house just off the river, so I may be spending even more time down there.
    I figure I could use it down there as well as the occasional drift on the Chena. Maybe even power around some of the interior lakes.

Power in a drift boat is no fun...at least in my experience crossing from the Kenai to the Skilak boat launch. Poor directional control and very little speed. Much better than rowing though I much prefer fishing out of a good driftboat than a raft. If I had a place on the Kenai I would spend the money on a driftboat.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Take Me!

Seriously it is like rafting and the options are many and it is personal prefernce.

I have been lucky enough to be in a Hyde, Willie's, Clackacraft to date well and a wooden homemade McKenzie Drifter.

I do know that I like 18-20ft better than 16-18ft. If you go 20ft you can put a 8HPS without to many problems but it really comes down to application IMO. If you do not plan on fishing four people most of the time 20ft is a littel over the top again IMO.

There are always some decent deals on used Drifters if one looks.

Currently Alaska Raft and Kayak sells Clackacrafts which run a little heavy on the wieght side but still a quality boat again IMO. Sping Sales you might find a great deal.

I like the Willie's as well light responsive yes sturdy! Still all and all I will take a raft over a drift boat but then again I am only on the Kenai a couple times of year.

Best of Luck Ben! Give Mark or Tracy a call you just might find the price is right on a 2009 model :-)

Dad and I used to have a McKenzie woody years ago in Oregon. Drifted all the coastal streams and used it with a long shaft Johnson in the high lakes. Motor into the wind, then drift down with flys or ford fenders. Truly a great time. More maintenance than an aluminum, but......