Thread: Slime in tires

Default Slime in tires

I just picked up a "new to me" 2007 Yamaha 400. It has the ITP lites on it and was wondering about putting the tire sealant Slime in them. Has anyone used this in their 4-wheeler? Recommend?

I've used it in the past for tire with pesky beed leaks, but really see no use in pre-treating the tires.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I do not put slime in my atv tires anymore. If the bead is leaking slime is a band aid fix. Years ago I had two tires on my atv that would slowly leak so naturally I filled them with slime. The leak became so bad the slime began to leak out, then the rim would spin inside the tire under stress.

I would break the bead, pull the tire off the rim, and thoroughly clean the rim before I put patch it up with slime.

HL sells a pre-treatment sealant which contains small teflon peices that is supposed to plug up a 1/4" hole. They had a few pictures as "proof" and I must admit they were impressive. I passed.

Several years ago my son slammed the right front tire & rim of my old 98 4x4 on a rock or stump. After much hammering with a ball-peen hammer I got the tire to hold air for a few days. Wanting to stop the slow leak I added 8oz of slime and ran around for about 10 minutes to spread it around inside the tire. To date it still doesn't leak. Worked for me - but I was trying to stop a leak not prevent future leaks. Don't know if it works or not for future leaks.

I should have said I used it out on the trail when I blew my cheap tires off the cheap steel rims. I used it both as a lube to get the tire back on and it helped seal them in less than ideal conditions. Good tires and good aluminum rims have cured the problem.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem