Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proposal for Lifetime license

Default Proposal for Lifetime license

Here is another.

ISSUE: Implement a resident Lifetime hunting license.

WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF NOTHING IS DONE?

ADF&G will continue to spend time and money on the implementation on issuing new hunting licenses each year.

Use the permanent identification cards like what is being used for the “over 60” users or have it included with your driver’s license/state ID.

WILL THE QUALITY OF THE RESOURCE HARVESTED OR THE PRODUCTS PRODUCED BE IMPORVED? No

WHO IS LIKELY TO BENEFIT?

• ADF&G would save $$$, due to the reduce paperwork and cost of implementing new licenses each year.

• Every outdoors person that wishes to purchase this type of license wouldn’t have to worry about purchasing a new license each year.

WHO IS LIKELY TO SUFFER? No one

OTHER SOLUTIONS CONSIDERED? None

PROPOSED BY: Troy Vincent

sign me up! Obviously the license would not be valid durring any period that you were not a resident, for those that may leave though, I don't see a reason that it wouldn't be reinstated once you returned and regained your residency.

Maybe even offer a preference or bonus point incentive for lifers...

Default Lifetime = for the rest of your life

Where did you go to school Lujon?

Lifetime licenses in states like Tx and Mn are good for the rest of your life no matter what state you live in later.

How would you charge for it?? Would the dept guess how long you were going to live and then set the fee? A 16 yr old would then pay for 60 yrs worth of licenses?? If they died sooner would their estate get a refund? Just askin'.

Don't believe many could afford a lifetime licenses so most of the paper work would still be there. I do like the lifetime licenses but believe you should be a resident to keep useing it.

Default Any info provided as to cost, Troy?

Any ideas on how much we'd want to charge for a lifetime license, Troy?

Default ?

Don't really know! I would pay $500 for one. what do you think?

Make it fish/hunt/trap and I would pony up a grand x 5 for my wife and kids to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Make it fish/hunt/trap and I would pony up a grand x 5 for my wife and kids to boot.
    yeah, they would get $4,000 from me!

troy

I could see some good with a "lifetime license" system. It would be along the lines of an "annual" pass for the national parks versus the "daily" or "weekly" passes. Pay one flat rate, significantly more than just a couple annual rates, and be good "forever" as long as your maintain or regain legal residency. I agree with Amigo that it should only apply if you are currently a resident. If you leave, you can keep it and use it once you again regain legal residency (same standard of residency that it takes to get a "resident" license currently). Some people who could afford the higher one-time payment and feel they would get the use out of it would spring for it while others who could not afford the one-time payment or just didn't think they would be around or hunting long enough to make it affordable would continue with the annual license.

There is no way you could do away with the annual and replace with just a lifetime license.

I think it wouldn't have much effect on the paperwork processing of ADF&G at all. Yes, it would reduce the total number of licenses to process each year, but they would have to put together and manage another aspect to the license system to keep track of the annual licenses. As far as hunters are concerned, those who aren't going anywhere and hunt yearly will be able to save a few bucks, others who think they are going to stay and thus invest in it but end up leaving early for whatever reason will lose a few bucks. Others who only have short-term plans as far as hunting or residing up here would contiue with the annual system and would remain financially neutral. A wash for the most part from what I can see.

In 96 I bought a lifetime hunting and fishing license in Tx for $1000, up 200 from the year before. I believe it is still at $1k now.

Oklahoma was like $450 then, but I just couldn't bring myself to admitting I lived on the Okie side of the line. I wish I would have now.

Minnesota has a bunch of options and the cost is based on your age when you purchase it.

Troy et al,

I think this may be a good idea (lifetime license) in conjunction with raising hunting license and tag fees. I don't think it is under the authority of the Board to implement though. Has to be done via the legislature.

FYI, I was just looking at what other states charge. Not sure if this will paste in or not, but here's what Tennessee charges. Note they also have the archery and muzzleloader licenses as per your other idea:
    http://www.state.tn.us/twra/huntlicense.html

001 Hunting and Fishing Combination*
    Minimum license required to fish and/or hunt small game
    *Supplemental Licenses (Types 005, 009, 010, or 011) are required and must be purchased, in addition to the Type 001 license, in order to hunt deer, bear, boar (feral hog), turkey, and waterfowl. The type of hunting equipment to be used determines which supplemental license is necessary.
    $28.00

005 Waterfowl Supplemental License*Purchase with Hunting & Fishing Combination License $31.00

009 Annual Big Game Gun Supplemental License Purchase with Hunting & Fishing Combination License $28.00

010 Annual Big Game Archery Supplemental License *Purchase with Hunting & Fishing Combination License $28.00

011 Annual Big Game Muzzleloader Supplemental License *Purchase with Hunting & Fishing Combination License $28.00

019 Trapping $28.00

002 Junior Hunt/Trap/Fish
    Ages 13-15. Good for hunting all game, fishing, and trapping. Must be purchased prior to 16th birthday. No supplemental licenses are required, but special season and WMA permits will need to be purchased in addition to this license. Fees apply when applying for quota hunt permits and "leftover" permits. $8.00

004 Annual Sportsman
    An all-inclusive license valid for hunting, trapping, and sport fishing without any state supplemental licenses or non-quota permits and allows holders to apply for quota permits at no additional fee. Annual Sportsman licenses can be purchased from all license agents. $136.00

166 Permanent Senior Citizen Hunt/Fish/Trap
    Available at all license agents and can only be purchased when the 65th birthday is reached. A valid Tennessee driver's license or proof of age and residency is required. No supplemental licenses are required, but special season and WMA permits will need to be purchased in addition to this license. Fees apply when applying for quota hunt permits and "leftover" permits. $11.00

167 Annual Senior Citizen Permit
    May be purchased only by holders of a Type 166 license. It covers all non-quota permits required by TWRA and allows holders to apply for quota permits without payment of additional fees. $41.00

401 Lifetime Sportsman (under 3 years old)
    An all inclusive lifetime license valid for hunting, trapping, and sport fishing without any supplemental state licenses or permits. Allows holders to apply for quota permits at no additional fee. Call your local TWRA office for an application or download an application to apply. $200.00

406 Lifetime Sportsman (3-6 years old)
    An all inclusive lifetime license valid for hunting, trapping, and sport fishing without any supplemental state licenses or permits. Allows holders to apply for quota permits at no additional fee. Call your local TWRA office for an application or download an application to apply. $540.00

402 Lifetime Sportsman (7-12 years old)
    An all inclusive lifetime license valid for hunting, trapping, and sport fishing without any supplemental state licenses or permits. Allows holders to apply for quota permits at no additional fee. Call your local TWRA office for an application or download an application to apply. $810.00

403 Lifetime Sportsman (13-50 years old)
    An all inclusive lifetime license valid for hunting, trapping, and sport fishing without any supplemental state licenses or permits. Allows holders to apply for quota permits at no additional fee. Call your local TWRA office for an application or download an application to apply. $1,620.00

404 Lifetime Sportsman (51-64 years old)
    An all inclusive lifetime license valid for hunting, trapping, and sport fishing without any supplemental state licenses or permits. Allows holders to apply for quota permits at no additional fee. Call your local TWRA office for an application or download an application to apply. $945.00

405 Lifetime Sportsman (65+ years old)
    An all inclusive lifetime license valid for hunting, trapping, and sport fishing without any supplemental state licenses or permits. Allows holders to apply for quota permits at no additional fee. Call your local TWRA office for an application or download an application to apply. $270.00

Permanent Hunting Licenses
    189 Permanent Wheelchair Hunting and Fishing
    Available only by application from the TWRA License Sales Office (615-781-6585). The application must be accompanied by a doctor's statement stating that the applicant is permanently confined to a wheelchair. Covers all license requirements to hunt and fish but holder must purchase any applicable permits. $10.00

198 Permanent DAV Hunting and Fishing
    Available only by application from the TWRA License Sales Office (615-781-6585) for resident veterans certified by the VA as 30 percent disabled by reason of war service or 100 percent service connected. Covers all license requirements to hunt and fish but holder must purchase any applicable permits. $10.00

I would pay $1620 for a lifetime license if it was hunt/fish/trap. I'd like the info incorporated into my driver's license along with my bear bait card, archery card, and hunter safety card.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I would pay $1620 for a lifetime license if it was hunt/fish/trap. I'd like the info incorporated into my driver's license along with my bear bait card, archery card, and hunter safety card.

Now remember some of us are "ENTITLED" to Free lic. for life, so you might have to pay more.

And with "Limited Entry" lic. they would go up in value, as tens of thousands of new hunters move to Alaska. And NON-residents would have to Lease a lic. from a resident lic. holder........

Default PFD

Ib be happy to fork over my PFD for several years to have a lifetime hunt/fish/trap license.

Wow can you imagine buying your son or daughter a lifetime hunting licence for 300 bucks! What a bargin.
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.

Default It'd be great

Here'sthe numbers from Georgia's WEB site.

Lifetime License TypeResidents Lifetime Licenses * Under 2 years old$200.00 Ages 2-15$350.00 Ages 16 and older$500.00 Ages 60 to 65$95.00 Over 65free ($10 plastic card) Under 16 years old non-resident grandchild of resident lifetime license holder$1,000.00

Alaska does need to implement this program. It'd be a big cost savings on the ADF&G side.

Quote Originally Posted by GAredneck View Post
    Here'sthe numbers from Georgia's WEB site.

Lifetime License TypeResidents Lifetime Licenses * Under 2 years old$200.00 Ages 2-15$350.00 Ages 16 and older$500.00 Ages 60 to 65$95.00 Over 65free ($10 plastic card) Under 16 years old non-resident grandchild of resident lifetime license holder$1,000.00

Alaska does need to implement this program. It'd be a big cost savings on the ADF&G side.
    I really don't see the money savings, at least on the part of the ADF&G. They would not be able to do away with the annual hunting licenses because there will always be a lot of people who don't think they will hunt more than one or even a few years for whatever reason and would not spring for a lifetime license. Because of this, the "lifetime license" system would be an ADDITION to the existing system. Yes, there would be less total annual licenses to process each year, but that would easily be offset by the costs to administer and maintain the new lifetime system.

I purchased my Lifetime Licenses from Minnesota before I moved out of the state. I picked up my Lifetime Sportsman (Hunt/Fish), Lifetime Deer Firearms, and Lifetime Deer Archery. I don't remember the exact cost but at the time (2006) I shelled out something like $1800. I figured it out as a resident it would take 18 years before I would come out ahead if I didn't count interest which would probably be offset by license cost increases (other state actually do that, by the way). However, as a non-res, it pays for itself real quick if I am using it.

What I really like about it is if I am home at Christmas, I can pick up my licenses for free (they still require you get a renewal, that way they can track hunter and fisherman numbers). It feels real good to not pay anything for my licenses now, and I don't remember the initial sting that much. I also like not feeling guilty shelling out $132 for a bow license if I am going to hunt a few days at Christmas. If I had to pay that, I might feel bad only going hunting one or two days, and probably not being very productive.

For all those that say "it is only good when you are a resident", what is the point? Minnesota has my $1800, and they can now do as they please with it. Like I said earlier, it would have taken 18 years for me to pay that much in license fees. I think some people would be discouraged from buying it once it became worthless if they moved. By not requiring folks to maintain residency, there would probably be a big influx of money up front, and last I heard Fish and Game could use some extra cash.

Make it good for life, as lifetime implies, no matter where one lives, and I'd probably make a big donation to the state, otherwise no chance for this guy.

Thumbs down NO

I worked with a guy who lived in Washington, but “lived” in Idaho (at a friend's house/address) for whatever the time requirements were to buy a lifetime hunting license. As soon as he had that he changed his residency back to Washington which is where he actually lived. He has to buy out of state tags, but had his lifetime resident hunting license so that is always covered, he elk hunts there because it is cheaper for him to than it should be. I think that it is a pretty sketchy way to do things and is cheating in my opinion, he harvests elk under a loophole that takes animals from those residents or non-residents who actually pay the appropriate fees. I think that Alaska would see thousands of “residents” from June until August or whatever they need to qualify to buy their license who would then suddenly decide to become residents of wherever they lived in May prior to becoming Alaskan residents. I think the system would be great for those who legitimately would use it, but I think that there would be entirely too much abuse for it to even be considered.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast