Thread: Future proposal (Separtate Licenses)

Default Future proposal (Separtate Licenses)

So what do you think of this proposal?

ISSUE: Implement a bow hunting license and a muzzleloader hunting license. Having separate licenses would generate some much needed $$$.

WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF NOTHING IS DONE?

Require a person who wished to hunt the archery, rifle, and the muzzleloader season to purchase 3 hunting licenses.

For those that get a FREE license, they can still get 1 free, but if they wish to hunt in either of other seasons they must purchase a license.

WILL THE QUALITY OF THE RESOURCE HARVESTED OR THE PRODUCTS PRODUCED BE IMPORVED? No

WHO IS LIKELY TO BENEFIT?

• ADF&G, they would receive more $$$.

WHO IS LIKELY TO SUFFER?

The cost of hunting would increase for those that like to hunt all three seasons.

OTHER SOLUTIONS CONSIDERED? None

PROPOSED BY: Troy Vincent

Just more tax. Much better idea is wildlife viewer licenses or resourse user licenses

Thumbs down Thumbs down from me on this one

Nope. What we really need to do is raise both non-res and resident hunting license fees imo. Separate licenses for differing types of hunts really doesn't make any sense to me.

Default reason

Reason behind this is the majority of the MATSU AC considers archery and muzzloading hunting as a “special” hunt and will not back any proposal that has to deal with these user groups. The BOG board has the same opinion!

It was also mentioned by some of the AC members that if these user groups would be required to pay for their season they would be more likely to vote for such a hunt.

Here is the problem I have with my AC and the BOG. I have submitted several proposals over the last several years for the archery hunters. I am not an archery hunter, but I might be if Alaska was like many of the lower 48 state by allowing archery/muzzloading seasons.

Not all, but the majority of the archery proposal will not take away tags/hunting opportunities from the rifle hunter it only opens more opportunities up. In fact, if more hunters would hunt via the bow the rifle hunters would have less competition during there season. Bottom line is you will have more hunters in the field spending money. What is wrong with that?

For example there is a proposal to reduce the number of sheep tags for the TOK hunt. They want to go down from 100 to 80 tags. They are authorized to issue 120, but they are trying to get increase the average sheep taken. I say instead of reducing the number of tags increase them. Have 80 tags for rifle hunters and issue 40 tags for archery. This way all parties are happy. ADF&G said not a problem that the harvest rate will not increase by having these additional archery hunters and they will generate more $$$ by the sale of tags and licenses. The air taxi, guides etc... Will still bring in the $$$ since they will have more customers instead of less. Best of all we Alaskans won’t see our hunting opportunities diminished.

Same went for my proposal last year for sheep in Unit 13. ADF&G mentioned they could issue an additional 200 tags for archery users since the success rate for archery sheep hunter is so low. So why didn’t this pass? BOG members don’t like the “special” hunt.

I thought the point of the BOG board was to represent all users groups? ADF&G Tony mentioned in one of our meeting last year that he could turn 20 moose cow tags into 200 archery tags. Again another opportunity to get more hunters in the field, voted down. It doesn’t make sense. Both the AC and BOG should do everything possible to keep us in the field.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Nope. What we really need to do is raise both non-res and resident hunting license fees imo. Separate licenses for differing types of hunts really doesn't make any sense to me.

I don't agree with raising rates. However I agree with you it doesn't make any sense to me to have seperate lic.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK