Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crossbow for youth archery season?

Default Crossbow for youth archery season?

I am curious what people think about authorizing crossbows for use by kids under a certain age for use durring archery season. Similar to the handicapped regulations.

Thumbs down no way!!

that's just nuts.
    wait until they are big enough to handle a bow.
    kids are not handicapped, they are just little. it's not like they used to be able to do something (draw a bow) and now can't, they are just not there yet.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Having shot numerous brands of cross-bows I cannot think of one that is appropriately sized for a youth, much less managable for them to shoot. I actually have no issues with cross-bows in achery season, but it would be a lousy choice for a youth. Do away with special privledge hunts and this would be a mute point
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

No way. Then that is a way to introduce it to all for archery season.... Tough enough now NRA is supporting crossbows for archery season.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I think NOT!!! Gotta earn your stripes. Once you make something too easy, then its just lost its value. Kinda like buying a 16 year old a brand new Corvette and giving them a credit card for gas.

Funny how easy it is to get the standard exclusionist answer that I knew I would get upon asking the question...

My thoughts are simple, school starts the 20th, archery moose hunting starts the 10th and runs till the 17th. By allowing kids say under 11 or 12 to participate with a crossbow it would open up hunting to them before the school season. I find it interesting that people would want to stop that from occuring but be fine with them hunting with a rifle on sept 1... Heck I even got a and 2 no ways from top dogs in two "traditional" pro hunting orgs! I guess it would suck to see all those kids out hunting w/a crossbow but be perfectly fine for them to skip school and do it with a gun...

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I am curious what people think about authorizing crossbows for use by kids under a certain age for use during archery season.
    so i trust your curiosity has been satisfied?
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Being newly back into archery and having a youngin that really wants a bow, I'd have to advocate against it. I do understand the reasoning, so kids can be part of it even if they can't draw a bow strong enough to kill an animal.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for encompassing kids into hunting, but if you open the door to cross bows for youth, others will advocate for further expansion.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Funny how easy it is to get the standard exclusionist answer that I knew I would get upon asking the question...

My thoughts are simple, school starts the 20th, archery moose hunting starts the 10th and runs till the 17th. By allowing kids say under 11 or 12 to participate with a crossbow it would open up hunting to them before the school season. I find it interesting that people would want to stop that from occuring but be fine with them hunting with a rifle on sept 1... Heck I even got a and 2 no ways from top dogs in two "traditional" pro hunting orgs! I guess it would suck to see all those kids out hunting w/a crossbow but be perfectly fine for them to skip school and do it with a gun...
    Don't forget to buy them that Corvette with a free credit card without a limit that way you don't have to give them a ride to a sports practice or pick them up at a friends house at 10PM on a school night either. Heck, you might as well let them start drinking beer at that age so they start building up a tolerance. Come on Dad, the easy convenient way is not the right way. With you being an Military Man, you should know that. Might as well give a basic trainee a .50 cal, basic load and a ride to everywhere he needs for the next 8 weeks to go on his first day at the Reception Station along with his ID card and shots.

the schools up here know that moose season occurs during the school year and kids can get there work before they go hunting not a big deal.
    i dont know that i would trust a kid to arrow an animal if they cant pull a leagle min. draw weight im prety sure i had my ibep card by the time i was 12-13 just getem that 40lb bow and let em go at it.

My son has missed the first week of school for three years now. No big deal.. My daughter missed it last year too. and they are going to keep on missing them...

See how divisive special privilege hunts can be?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Funny part is Jon, aren't you one of the anti "special group", standard setters around here? how is it that all a sudden now that your kids are almost big enough, questions like this pop up?

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

LOL... and BTW ...we are lucky we don't live in a state that sets a minimum age for hunting period. Several don't allow hunting until a kid is 12

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Funny part is Jon, aren't you one of the anti "special group", standard setters around here? how is it that all a sudden now that your kids are almost big enough, questions like this pop up?
    YEP, I sure am!! I don't like special hunts, I do not want to see any more special hunts added and would celebrate every one that was removed with the exception of those implemented due to safety concerns such as near or within cities. I do understand that I am not going to be able to eliminate them so every oportunity that I get to justify expand the user groups to include more people I will do exactly that. Be looking for something like this coming to a BOG meeting near you.

I will tell you this. I know one of the main persons trying to get this through BOG.... And the reason is he is a convicted felon..

Cross bows with a scope is not consider a primitive weapon like a bow.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Cross bows with a scope is not consider a primitive weapon like a bow.
    Crossbows don't have to have a scope, they can have pin sights like a bow. I think there should be a reg against having a scope on a crossbow.

Here's an example
    http://www.tenpointcrossbows.com/sho...exd.asp?id=216

well now that it has pins I guess its okay! Come on now I dont understand how you can consider this at all.... Archery is one of the easiest things to attack... Dont give a kid a crossbow and make it easier for the antis to get rid of it.

So why not make exception to the "no vehicle rules on the Dalton" for kids who are two small to pack out their own animal? How about making an exception to the no fly rule the day of the hunt because children have a short attention spans?

Here's and idea. How about taking them hunting with you and teaching them patience, ethics and virtue. Teach them hunting is a gift from God and not a video game with instant success. They will cherish the memories they have with dad and respect the effort of the hunt instead of learning to seek the easy way to get what they want.

If you want an early youth hunt then ask for a youth hunt using a firearm. The crossbow is more of a gun than a bow. It's a poor weapon to teach kids how to bowhunt regardless of all the pro crossbow shows on TV which are sponsored by the crossbow manufacturers.

I would say no also and advocate an early gun season.

Responsibility is number one! Kids (and unfortunatly many adults) need to learn this lesson, starting them out right is better then teaching them the wrong way to go about things. Not saying xguns are wrong, I dont agree with them but to each there own.

We need to crawl before we walk and walk before we run. Take a kid grouse hunting.....or snowshoe hare hunting. Teach them right! Their time WILL come all tooo quickly.

WOW, Funny how so many infer that I don't take my kids hunting or spend time in the woods with them based on this post. Even with a crossbow my son would have to get within 30 yards or less before I would ever dream of letting him take a shot. The thought is to get them into the archery season with the realization that they would have to be accurate and capable with a bow by a certain age. in order to keep hunting before school and if they didn't then they would not get to take long annual hunting trips.

I doubt that the population could sustain a youth early rifle hunt. Besides I don't want to see any additional "special interest" hunts though I would be for expanding the base of people allowed to participate in any of the existing ones.
    I find it odd that some here would consider archery the most threatened type of hunting, I have found it to be the most widely accepted. My oldest is a year or two away from being ready to drop the hammer on a moose and probably 6-7 away from drawing a legal weight bow. It would be nice to give him the opportunity to do a more challenging hunt before school starts in less than 6 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast