Thread: Black Bear Hunting...PWS vs. Kenai Peninsula

Default Black Bear Hunting...PWS vs. Kenai Peninsula

I'm planning a black bear hunt this spring with a few buddies and just wanted to get some feedback from fellow black bear hunters. I called a biologist in Homer and got some good info from him and will be calling the one in Cordova next week. Where do you prefer to hunt...PWS or the Kenai Peninsula? How many bears do you usually see and how long do you hunt? How about size? We're planning on spending 5-7 days hunting. Will this be enough time for 3 of us to each have a crack at a decent bear? Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated,

Sep

Are you going with an outfitter or do you have your own boat? Access is certainly the first issue to consider when looking at PWS. If you have access to a boat, though, you can almost certainly count on having a chance for all three of you to get a bear. As far as "decent" goes, well....that's all in the eye of the beholder. PWS bears have fur that is unparalleled, but they tend to be a little on the small size. A 6 foot bear is truly a big one out there - yes, once in a long while someone will take a 7 footer, but 5 to 5.5 foot is more normal.

The bears on the Kenai Peninsula are a bit bigger, there are lots of them, but it can be a bit harder to find them in the spring if you're not baiting. I see more bears in PWS in the spring, and more in the Kenai Mountains in the fall. That's just my experience, though...

I'm sure you'll get plenty of other feedback here. Good luck to you!

-Brian

Quote Originally Posted by B_M View Post
    Are you going with an outfitter or do you have your own boat? Access is certainly the first issue to consider when looking at PWS. If you have access to a boat, though, you can almost certainly count on having a chance for all three of you to get a bear. As far as "decent" goes, well....that's all in the eye of the beholder. PWS bears have fur that is unparalleled, but they tend to be a little on the small size. A 6 foot bear is truly a big one out there - yes, once in a long while someone will take a 7 footer, but 5 to 5.5 foot is more normal.

The bears on the Kenai Peninsula are a bit bigger, there are lots of them, but it can be a bit harder to find them in the spring if you're not baiting. I see more bears in PWS in the spring, and more in the Kenai Mountains in the fall. That's just my experience, though...

I'm sure you'll get plenty of other feedback here. Good luck to you!

-Brian
    I saw a nice bear that had to be close to 7 foot in PWS last year. My luck the season had just closed! DOH!

D
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Both are good areas. While hunting PWS you can fish and shrimp to. For me I like PWS hunting. No crowds and I enjoy the scenary.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

in pws i have seen as many as 13 bears in ealy spring-late april in a day and half. but every year is different because weather. last year in one night in a small bay we seen 3 bears, next morning one and that one ended on my boat. seen two other huge ones 7'plus. one was massive got a pic of it but did not shoot because they changed the season last year and it now ends on the 10 of june. but this spring those big ones will be in my freezer and hides on the wall. now on valdez side they can see 60 bears in a weekend. weather can be crappy and rain for a week, just like anywhere. there are more and more people out there every year. but we are still getting bears and know where they are at. honey charters is good and seamist charters. they both do drop offs, not sure if they are running then. cooper landing area has a lot of bears, legal if you stay on the ne side of high way. kenai lake is good. just gotta pick a spot and go with it. bears can be small so far we have killed 4.5, 5.5, 6.5 and 5 footer. they all taste the same and make great rugs.

Just wondering, is it feaseable/realistic to spot and stalk around Kenai Lake/Cooper Landing or is a treestand the way to go if you can't use a boat?

~Jon

Thanks for the replies everyone, I really appreciate it. We're planning a do-it-yourself unguided trip. We'll have access to a boat so it's just a matter of deciding whether PWS or the Kenai Peninsula would give us a better chance at seeing and taking nice bears.

FWIW, the biologist in Homer told me they don't conduct black bear surveys to determine bear density. Black bears aren't afforded much research money by the state because other species take a priority. I mention this because I found a web site for a transporter who makes the following claim: "Across Kachemak Bay from Homer Alaska lie the jagged snow capped peaks of the Kenai Mountains. It is here on the rugged outer coast of the Kenai peninsula that is home to the highest population density of black bears in the world." I read this to the biologist and he informed me this was a totally unsubstantiated claim. Further, he could not tell me if the Kenai Peninsula had a greater or lesser density of black bears than PWS because no one gathers such data. We talked for quite a while and he seemed pretty sincere so I don't have any reason to doubt him. Buyer...er...hunter beware....

Good huntin
    Sep

spot and stalk should be fine, even by boat. up resurection trail is where a buddy shot one this fall. he said there was 13 bears on the hill side, but they were 7 miles back in.

as far as bears in homer area i have heard from residents in seldovia that the bears are thick over there but hard to hunt because the forsest or brush is so dense. there are some loging roads but only by 4 wheeler i guess the main roads don't connect any more-not sure. baiting is fun. takes alot of work and sometimes you never get hit. but man just cool seeing bears. pretty tastey when made into burger and breakfast sausage at IVM.

i am always looking for people with trucks to haul my boat for hunting and fishing. so that is a posibility for bear. always hunt pws. fish homer and pws.