Thread: Is this a good idea? (Float Question)

Arrow Is this a good idea? (Float Question)

Hiya!

So this summer I was thinking about floating down the Willow river from the parks Highway bridge, down to the mouth then down the susitna a little bit until I reach the willow parking area. Ive been on the willow but only at mouth area so I don't know how strong the current is when the river isn't seperated. I don't have the ability to get a personal pontoon. So I was thinking about just using a float tube and taking is easy with a fly rod and a few hours. Is this a good idea or am I asking for a disaster to happen? the river looks easy going (no rapids?) But im not sure of its depth (too shallow?)
    A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

It probably isnt a good idea exactly the way you described it. If you were thinking the float tube to sit in, you could probably manage it, but definately wouldnt want to take out on the big river, take out at the mouth. Actually thinking about it if you havent floated it before it's probably a horrible idea. You'd be better off finding someone to take you down in a suitable craft first, then you could use your own judgement on float tubing it. Another option would be to just hike the whole thing, cause thats probably what you would be doing anyway. If you were thinking of using the float tube in the conventional manner it was designed, it definately wouldnt work (I dont think float tubes are designed for moving water, foot entrapment issues and such) being that there isnt enough water. I'm not trying to be negative or shoot down your idea but even though it's a very tame little creek there can be hazards you would want to be able to manuever around (sweepers, strainers, root balls) and I dont see you being able to do that sitting in an innertube holding a fly rod.
    Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.

Default No, it's not a good idea

Definately NOT a good idea...

Default Likley not a good idea, but...

Is the float tube design is a sit on top (U-boat style) I'd do it.I've floated that creek 100+ times and would be wearing a pfd for sure. If it is a dangle your legs through style I'd definitely say no way for reasons already pointed out. Even though 'tame' is the creek you can still get pressed into a sweeper and drowned quite easily.
    On a lighter note, if one were to die in the creek it wouldn't take long for a body to be discovered since it is so dang busy there anymore.

Also come king season, some pretty big boats run through there and youd be hard pressed to get out of the way in time if you were in an oarless/motorless craft.

Fun to thing about though. Good luck

baahh....toss on a pair of shorts and a PFD and you'll be fine....I'd take a beater rod though....I wouldn't let my little kids do it but I'm sure you can handle yourself floating on an inner tube...lol...just don't be afraid to get a little wet...

heck, you'll be walking more than floating anyways, an old tire inner tube you can sit on will work just dandy....

if I didn't have a boat to float it I'd just walk it down like others have mentioned....you'll get a lot more fishing in...

if you do float it, take out at the mouth like others have suggested, walk the short trail back to the parking lot, no need to float down the su...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Hmmm...

So to be on the safe side I should just get a personal pontoon to float the willow? Another idea that ive been having would be to float down the susitna from where the parks highway crosses it down to the Deshka landing. Of course I would do that kind of float on a pontoon, im just wondering if it would take more than 12-14 hours ?

The drift from the Big Su bridge on the Parks to Deshka Landing is definately doable in a one man cat. Just longgggg...and boring.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Really? I don't think it would be that boring. Bring a fly rod with ya during the right kind day, catch a few fish, float down the river, lean back and just think about things. I dunno. has anybody done that drift before? The Big Su/Parks Bridge to Deshka landing. Could it be done in one -long- day?

From the Parks Highway bridge at Sunshine to Willow Creek is about 30-35 miles. The big Su runs at something like 4-5 MPH (I think). So figure 6-9 hours of float time. That would be a really long float day in any boat. If you took your time fishing, you could easily double that time. I usually plan on 15-20 miles for most raft trips, and that's without fishing.

Has anyone successfully fished the Big Su? I've never seen it done. I would think there is too much silt for the fish to see the bait. Mostly I see people fishing the side streams. Doing that would take even longer.

Sounds terminally boring to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post

Sounds terminally boring to me.
    Agreed.

AlaskaIsCold; what is the predominant desire a long float or a good day of fishing? Your plans as they stand don't include both.

There are lots of good alternatives available, it all depends on your comfort and skill level as well as the type of watercraft you plan on using.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."