Thread: Spring Break Fishing Charters?

Arrow Spring Break Fishing Charters?

Hiya!

So my Girlfriend decided to get me, her brother and father an all day fishing trip during spring break (march 7-14), but she doesn't know a thing about fishing charters...and neither do I. We are based in anchorage and we want to go for some winter kings. Going after monster kings would be cool, but im happy just to get a fish on my plate for dinner. I am leaning toward going to Seward (since Homer is -really- far for a day trip) So does anybody have any suggestions/recomendations for charters/guides anywhere that are especially good or consistantly bring back fish?
    A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Default Nothing in Valdez

There is probably nothing running in Valdez. Most boats will be out of the water until May. There is also going to be a 2 week spring school break over here so many of us may just be in the Caribean..... like me.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I don't know of any charters in Seward this time of year, but there could be some, I do know Homer has some guys running all year round. I fished with Daniels Personalized Guide Service for winter kings several years ago and did well, that was uin early Feb, and I have heard the fishing is better in Feb than in Mar, but there are still fish to be had in March.

I vote for flying down to Mexico and chasing tuna.

I think the earliest charters start opperating is mid to late May, but most boats don't start running until Memorial day weekend.

I know that I've read about winter king fishing in Seward. Call the Seward Chamber of Commerce. They should be able to put you in touch with someone who is running charters. Alternately, head down to Homer and stay the night, fish all day, then drive home. You could also catch a flight down there in the morning on PenAir and be home in time for a late dinner.

Give Alaska Saltwater Charters a shot. She was one of the pioneers of the winter king fishery in Homer and has done the same in Seward. Personally I would head to Homer, but if Seward is where you want to go, give them a call.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

The Homer Winter King Derby is March 20. I realize you said your break was 7-14. There will be charters "tuning up" for the derby who would love to take you out.

Get with AKCAPT for Seward, and the guys in Homer are going strong then. I like the Mexico idea, or Long Range out of San Diego.... you have a week!

Give Rich Baltzer a call....fishhomer.com...."fishon" on this forum...Rich fishes year round and was suggested to me years ago when I asked around on this and other forums for guy who was a consistent producer of winter kings. I've done several "turn and burn" trips to Homer in one day...they are long and it's nice to have two people to share the driving, but it has usually paid off. If you want to combo it, there are chicken halibut to be had as well. I've heard good things about the woman captain someone mentioned in Seward...at least good things about her fish-catching ability. Not much else going on in Seward that early, though.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Go catch chickens and black bass in homer
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.