Thread: first trip of the year

Default first trip of the year

Finally had the chance to fish. Everything but the heater worked great, was worried about the auger, she fired and cut like the champ she is! The heater on the other hand ugg!

Anyways a few pics in the order they were caught.
    Attached Images Attached Images

and the last fish......We released all fish. My partner caught a decent one also but in the rush to get it back in the water we only took a pic on his camera and so far we havent figured out how to get the dang thing to the computer LOL!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice Fish.....how thick was the ice.......?

Great fish!

You folks are really starting to make me feel bad about myself!

Mike

I figure around 3 to 3.5' heck I didnt bother measuring..it was crystal clear ice..good stuff!

Those are some really nice sized fish. Great job
    Early to bed
    Early to Rise
    Fish all day
    Make up lies

Excellent!!!!
    I loves the Lakers!!!!

It doesn't look like your heater was too messed up. In your pictures you aren't exactly bundled up....or maybe the adrenaline of hooking up kept you warm.

I have penty of natural insulation

nice!

what heater are you using?

A couple of years ago when I was finally fed up with the buddy heaters I went to AIH and bought one of the heater/cookers - built by the same people (mr. heater) but this one is 18K BTUs of a very simple heater - just a lo-med-hi valve and a thermocouple for gas safety shutoff. No low oxygen sensor no tip sensor no delicate ceramic to get clogged or messed up. Oh and it's cheaper than a buddy heater too!! It will take the little 1lb bottles but I put a hose on it and use it with the 10lb (skinny and tall) size bottle, runs a long time that way.

In two seasons I've never had it fail even after miles bouncing around in a sled in -20 and colder temps. Nice to be able to boil some water for coffee or brats too!

I have the big buddy. She worked great for awhile. Was using 2 1 pound bottles and man alive it didnt want to run. And the temps last week were pretty nice to boot! I did buy the quick disconnect for it and ran it on a 10lb bottle...didnt work at all. Thought that was odd and didnt bother with it again.

We grew up running the sunflower style, the ones you screw right onto the topof the 10 pounders...they worked pretty slick. I'm a little nervous about the flare up deal though so steered away from them. I may change that thought....dunno.

this cooker deal is a sunflower - but it's remote instead of tank top - I like that so I can leave the bottle outside and run the hose into the eskimo

only flare up I had was in -50 temps when I slid it under the truck to try and thaw out a stuck wheel...should have known better but at least I saw it and avoided disaster!

Wow!

Nice Fish Man!

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Smile Nice Fish

Just thought I would put my two cents in on heaters. Kerosine is the only way to go when Its cold. When it was -40 at lake louise we had one that worked fine. They only thing I recommend is taking care of your heater. The kind I have used are 23,000 btus. plenty for most any outing you plan to do. The heater I am talking about looks like a bucket with a top and cage on it. Wire tie the cage on the heater and maybe wrap it up if you going on a long bumpy sled ride. We use these heaters in our tool trailers and they work great. 20 ft trailer stays nice and warm. Good luck, otherwise those top mount mr. heaters work ok. You can warm gloves or food on the kerosine heater and they are safe for indoor use. DONT put a frozen whitefish on the cage to thaw it out. You wont eat fish again, or use that heater in a enclosed space.