Thread: Found my reloading kit

Question Found my reloading kit

I picked-up the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master kit. Now I seek advice on a case trimmer, I noticed there are many different types and the fact I'm starting from scratch I'm not sure what would get me by at my skill level. Any advice would be great. Thanks for advice on choosing a press it was great.

I really like my Lyman trimmer. The only problem is you have to order your pilots as I haven't found anyone in Anchorage that carries Lyman - it seems that RCBS however is available at most stores. I don't know about other brands but with the Lyman the trimmer comes with I believe 9 common caliber pilots - then you just order caliber specific pilot(s) as needed. Hope this helps.

I have the RCBS Trim Pro Manual case trimmer kit and like it very well. It comes with shell holders # 2,3,4 & 10. It comes with pilot calibers 22,24,25,27,28,30,35,44,45. I have had mine for 15 to 20 years and all I have ever had to do was lube the shaft from time to time.

Another reloading tool that has really been worth it's money is the RCBS trim mate case prep center. This is a time and labor saving device that I would hate to do without. You can check these out being used on Youtube. They are handy.

The RCBS manual trimmer is nice, and if you're going to be trimming a lot of brass in one sitting you can chuck it up to a 1/2" drill and make it power.

I'll second the RCBS prep center. It can save you a lot of time if you're loading a lot of brass.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    The RCBS manual trimmer is nice, and if you're going to be trimming a lot of brass in one sitting you can chuck it up to a 1/2" drill and make it power.

I'll second the RCBS prep center. It can save you a lot of time if you're loading a lot of brass.
    That's what I have always used and love it. I have a drill on it which makes it very fast and handy. Now days it's mounted vertically (drill hanging down) on a board that clamps to my bench, everything is easy to use from a seated position and no bending my bad back.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Forster

I have only used one, the Forster original case trimmer. I do highly recommend it. It has been realiable (had it several years now), user friendly, and a quality made product. Makes trimming almost fun, emphasis on "almost"!

I mounted it to a piece of wood that clamps to my bench and on that piece of wood I also mounted a small plastic tray with lid to keep all my collets and pilots in.

Well you are in the same position and asking the same question I did a year ago. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=45762 Murphy among others recommended the Forester trimmer. I got one off of Ebay with the 3 major collets for $60. I have really liked it.

The big advantage I see to the Forester is that with just 3 of there collets (at about $10 each) you can trim about any common case. Most of the other trimmers require a separate plate (at about $8 each) for each head size.

Default Case trimmers

I would suggest the Lee case trimmer. Used with a power drill it is hard to beat for speed and accuracy.

My Redding has worked well for me. I also have a Lee zip trim if i have to trim alot of cases

Default Lee

Another vote for the Lee. Have used them for years with no problems.

I have a lyman with the one size fits all chuck and a bunch of pilots but I haven't used it much since using the Lee set up. It is fast using a hand drill, easy, no adjustment needed, and cheap. The first setup for one caliber is about $12, after that about $5 per cartridge. The main problem with the Lee is that is doesn't have pilots for the unusual cartridges.

Default Of the several I've used...

Depends on what I'm after.
    For the best, most consistent cases, I still break out my ancient (by today's standards) Wilson. It also does neck reaming, chamfering, military primer pockets, and is supported with a lot of cool accessories and parts through Sinclair.
    For bulk stuff, I ended up putting a power unit on my RCBS Trim Pro. It does okay, especially after I got the 3-way cutter and pilots for the most used calibers. Takes awhile to set up, but after it's set, it will go through a bunch of cases without a lot of effort.
    If I wear out the RCBS, I'll go with the Dillon.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/prod_det.../Case-Trimmers

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...B_Case_Trimmer

Another vote for the RCBS Trim Pro trimmer. I first bought the Redding trimmer with micrometer, and while it seemed to work well, the bit got dull very quickly, and the universal collett was anything but precise. After about 200 cases, I started getting some pretty erroneous case lengths. The RCBS Trim Pro sets it's trim length on the base of the case, not the diameter of the rim (like the Redding), and I have never had to measure more than the first two to ensure that it is trimming accurately.

In the future, I plan on upgrading to the RCBS case prep center, as I believe it will certainly speed up the process of case prep. It requires electricity, which is a downside for me, but it may be worth it.

The Lee system doesn't require any adjustment ever and the lengths are always the same and if you have a drill press to use it in it is really fast. Cheap too. New cutters are very inexpensive also.

Thumbs up my prep center..well today so i can watch NASCAR at the same time..go tony!

With over 500, 30-06 rounds to trim ,I speed things up with a couple drills..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0542 (Small).JPG   IMG_0541 (Small).JPG  
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Thumbs up Trim center..

After the 30-06 ,I've got 300+ 22-250 to do....one step at a time,clean,lube,size,clean again to remove lube,trim to length , clean primer pockets,add a primer - a recipe and "wala"..a summers worth of good times .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0540 (Small).JPG  
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Thats some clean brass ATV!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona