Thread: Question for some shooters out there.

Default Question for some shooters out there.

Hi All,

So I was reading in the Grand Forks paper and a local woman was injured when a shell exploded inside her weapon on her first deer hunting trip. So I guess my question is that if the round was in the chamber and the casing failed, as long a the bore was unobstructed and the weapon was mechanically sound would the weapon exploded? I have had ruptured cases before in a machine gun and it sure didn't blow in my face or cause injuries. What do you all think?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mlwent View Post
    Hi All,

So I was reading in the Grand Forks paper and a local woman was injured when a shell exploded inside her weapon on her first deer hunting trip. So I guess my question is that if the round was in the chamber and the casing failed, as long a the bore was unobstructed and the weapon was mechanically sound would the weapon exploded? I have had ruptured cases before in a machine gun and it sure didn't blow in my face or cause injuries. What do you all think?

Mike
    Hard to make any valid conclusions without knowing a few more facts. Was it the first round fired? Was another (squib) round stuck in barrel? Was barrel otherwise obstructed? I too have seen breach explosions on military weapons; barrels too hot, cook-offs, sqib loads. But very rare with a bolt gun.

The newspaper account is probably full of factual errors . It would only be possible to make even an educated guess by examining the firearm in person. Too many variables in third hand "explosions".
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Stick a 308 in an 06. Maybe even put it in a 7-08 if you push hard enough to ram the bullet down in the case. Stick a 280 Rem into a 270 chamber. The list goes on. Lots of combos with the wrong ammo in the wrong chamber will fit, but in the process you can turn the bullet into an instant barrel obstruction.

Heck, we had a customer back in the early 70's that used his 06 Lee Loading kit to load cases with his favorite pistol powder. Bullseye. Yeah. And he sued Remington, Hercules, and LEE. Seriously considered suing us for selling him such dangerous stuff without providing safety training, but our pockets were way too small for his ambitions. Imagine what he could have done with a cup of coffee in his lap!

I reform lots of cases to new calibers, and I have to be SUPER careful about labeling and coding. The last batch of 7x57 cases I bought, some actually got loaded as 7x57. But some ended up as 257 Roberts and some ended up as 6mm. The head stamp still said 7mm, but the boxes screamed something else. But it still takes just one mistake.

Could be a case of a cartridge in the tubular magazine of a lever gun exploding. Use pointed bullets, or sometimes really wide flat meplat bullets, and they can set off the round in front of them. They will usually bulge the tube, sometimes even split it, but only cause minor injury.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."