Thread: Trail Report W.P.C. Willow AK. 2/3/10

Thumbs up Trail Report W.P.C. Willow AK. 2/3/10

It's Here!!!!!
    The Big Willow Winter Carnival Snowmachine Weekend.
    Drags, Vintage Races and GPS Run are just some of the stuff that is happening around here this weekend.
    No new snow this week, but all the trails have been groomed so we are ready for some fun! Temps as of Wed. afternoon are about 10 degrees and is calling for warming this weekend. Nancy Lake Rec. Area is open and the rivers are in good shape.
    The Willow Trail Comm. has two new State permits in the works and will need your help!
    New post coming.
    Come on out to Willow and have some fun with the family!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
    Come on out to Willow and have some fun with the family!
    Trail Boss -- My wife and I and our 7 and 9 years olds were out last Sunday on our 2-ups and thoroughly enjoyed the trails around Willow. It was our first real outing (admittedly newbies), and we found the trails to be absolutely amazing. Long Lake was a blast, and the Lucky Shot and Almond Lake Trails were very easy to follow, too. I'm SO glad someone (you guys?) produced trail maps (bought ours at the Texaco in town)! We'll be back many times, I'm sure.

Kinda wondering if you have any idea how much of a zoo it'll be out there this weekend with the carnival going on? We had the entire place pretty much to ourselves on Sunday (except for a couple dog sled teams, which we pulled over for and the kids got a kick out of watching go past!). Being relatively new, I'm not sure I'm in for crowds yet...

Carry on!
    Palmer, Alaska
    "There are some things money can buy. For everything else, there's ALASKA!"

Default All Good!

With all the thing going on at the Community Center The trails should not be that busy. Other than Corral Hill as it is the main run to the river.
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe

Thumbs up party on

thanks for the heads up!

Yep -- appreciate the information. Thanks!
    Palmer, Alaska
    "There are some things money can buy. For everything else, there's ALASKA!"

Thumbs up Update! Fri. 5

Three inches of new snow and still coming down lighty!!!!!!
    Keep praying to the snow gods!!!!!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe

TB,
    Normally I do not frequent the trails of Willow but I decided to ride from Big Lake out to the Big Su and then to Willow for the Carnival on Saturday. I want to say that WOW, you guys are light years ahead of the Big Lake area trails.

I know that the trails around BL see more traffic and the snow conditions have not been the best, but ****.......The doggers are going to take a beaten if they can not get to the trails before the race. I can't remember when I have seen them worse. I wish they could close some the trails to let them settle and get them smoothed out or at least let some of the water freeze over.

We rode back by the way of the Parks Hwy and that was a great ride. The only question I have is why are they plowing the bike path clear? Don't remember it being done like that in the past. Puts sleds facing oncoming traffic. Why not groom in a nice trail along the road?

SSSShhhhhh. Don't tell anyone how good the Willow trails are. Best kept secret in the state. Much thanks to Trail Boss for taking the bumps so we don't have to.
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    The only question I have is why are they plowing the bike path clear? Don't remember it being done like that in the past.
    State DOT got a bunch of Stimulus Money this year, to keep them all on the clock and even a bunch of Overtime. They have plowed the bike paths four times along the Parks this winter. Makes for fast trails, thats for sure. On some stretches it is down to pavement, so you need to have an anti-freeze drip bottle/hose on the slides. Use the cheap stuff from Walmart. It does help.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    State DOT got a bunch of Stimulus Money this year, to keep them all on the clock and even a bunch of Overtime. They have plowed the bike paths four times along the Parks this winter. Makes for fast trails, thats for sure. On some stretches it is down to pavement, so you need to have an anti-freeze drip bottle/hose on the slides. Use the cheap stuff from Walmart. It does help.
    The next big issue will be the damage done by the carbide ski runners or studs caused by riding on/crossing the snow bare trail. How long before we are like the lower 48 and are not allowed to cross roads or trails if using studs or carbide runners? All in the name of the mighty dollar.

I was a little baffled when I seen the trail along the Glenn Hwy cleared, as I thought it was used for skiing. In the 14 years that I have lived here I do not ever remember it being evered completely cleared from Anchorage to Eagle River. Then I was thinking that maybe they were clearing it for bikes, gas prices/loss of bus service, but that does not appear to be the case either.

Our gov't at work again, blowing money that we don't have nor that we need to spend.

Last but not least I do not like the drip systems using automotive antifreeze, use RV antifreeze or something planet/animal friendly type antifreeze, it's better for the enviroment.

Lightbulb Stay off !

The State Toopers will give you a ticket for rideing the bike paths.
    Be careful!!!!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe