Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: top 50 sheep?

Red face top 50 sheep?

http://www.hunts.net/dall%20sheep%20...ka%204939.html

Hope this link works. I wanted to see what you guys think of this ad. Personally I think the guy sounds full of it. Anyone know who the outfitter might be and where he hunts? The ad looks like he hunts on the Kenai but the details dont add up. Top 50 BC sheep on the Kenai?
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Question Yo kaboku68

Calling kaboku68....(I know you will see this thread..)

Your a sheep historian...any top 50 rams ever come off the Kenai Pen?

dennis

...well, I am not purporting to be an expert on this by any means, but I have hunted sheep here on the Kenai since 2002...and covered a lot of drainages..
    -doesn't fill the freezer, a lot of work, don't know why we keep going back for more...-but I simply love it...always dreaming of the next sheep season...

-I don't know anything about this guide, or his ad, but...-the sheep in the picture is not, in my opinion, a Kenai ram-
    -the rams down here have much tighter curls, close in, and don't flare out hardly at all...
    -the Kenai is not known to have many 40-inchers down here at all....at least not in recent years...

Maybe pre' 1905......There were several early expeditions sponsored by British Historical Societies. This was prior to Charles Sheldon's Dall Sheep research on Denali in 1906-1908. One could argue that the top 50 up to 1910 came from the Kenai.

Note: It said the outfitter LEFT the Kenai 20 years ago.

...I wanted to clarify....I am not knocking this guy, at all,or his ad, or guiding business...

-just my 2cents worth on the rams I see down here, description, etc-
    -but oh, my.....(sidenote)- every sheep season, I encounter over 200 goats...-they are everywhere...

-using horses in some areas down here works;
    -this guy might be real knowledgable...I just don't personally know of him-
    -looking forward to hearing more what others think/know....

Quote Originally Posted by aksheephuntress View Post
    ...-the Kenai is not known to have many 40-inchers down here at all....at least not in recent years...
    Nellie Lawing took some HOGS. 43 1/2" X 15 1/2" and another 44 3/4 X 15 5/8" (Note: I am working from Geriatric memory) She harvested some darn nice brown bears also. Her book "Alaska's Nellie" has photos of her collection.

Quote Originally Posted by aksheephuntress View Post
    -I don't know anything about this guide, or his ad, but...-the sheep in the picture is not, in my opinion, a Kenai ram-
    I'm no expert, but that looks more like a Chugach ram.

I've taken one ram out of the Kenai Mts, and it was 32" at full curl. I've never heard of anything bigger than 38" coming out of there, but again, I am no expert. I imagine we would have heard about it on here if anyone took a top 50 sheep anywhere in the state, much less on the Kenai.

Question Not Top-50...

Regardless of where that ram, the one pictured, was harvested...it is not a top 50 ram. If that (mystery) guide-outfitter guided a client-hunter to a top-50 ram on that Kenai Pen area...then why not show a picture of that top-50 hog? Why show a picture of a rather average ram?

Dennis

Default fees

I think the bit about the fees says more than the picture. You get what you pay for!

Default There have been some but not recently.

There have been some large sheep taken from the Kenai Pennisula.

Number 12(182)38X39 Pickup by CE Lyons which I believed used to be in the Cooper's Landing PO until about 10 years ago was registered in 1969 but was supposedly found in the 1950s.

Nellie Learning or Alaska Nellie shot the biggest dall sheep(21) taken by a woman 180-39X40 taken in 1917. I have heard that she only entered one sheep that was heavily broomed and she had several that might have been larger but there was a hang up with the paper work.

John T. Swiss the Guide shot another large one(ranked 40) in Kenai Mts.in 1959. 177(44X43 5/8)

C.R.Cross shot number 52 in 1907-43X43

I think that I talked with Lyman Nichols who is the world's expert on Kenai Dall sheep in the early 1990's when he was presenting for FNAWs. He believed that there was one group of large sheep(genetics)- Sheep with totally wicked mass- that died out because of epidemic of Lump Jaw-This same epidemic nailed the Wrangells as well. I think he said that it might of happened in the early 1970s.

This guide is completely full of it. I know that there was a hard core sheep hunter from Homer high school who shot some monsters in the last five years but he moved out of state and I have heard that he flew into the back side of the Western Alaskan Range.

The sheep in the picture is no where near top fifty. However, sometimes a squirrel can find a nut.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Default post

good post K. solid info.

Smile info

Here is a chart I found on the internet. I just thought the advertizement was shady or I was missing something. The details just dont add up. If I was looking for a quality hunt I would want someone with more accurate advertizing, but I thought maybe someone knows the guy and really he has some secrets areas?

B&C Record Book Minimums
    All-Time Book 170
    Awards Book 160
    All-Time Rank By State Or Province Past 20 Years
    #1 Alaska 211 60
    #2 NWT 43 33
    #3 Yukon 33 10
    #4 BC 4 2

Entries By Location Past 20 Years
    ALASKA
    1. Chugach Mts. 97 45
    2. Wrangell Mts. 74 2
    3. Alaska Range 17 8
    4. Kenai Peninsula 13 1
    5. Taleetna Mts. 10 4
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Default 40" sheep & closed area?

The past 2 years I've spotted a ram that will probably reach the magic 40" length from the Slaughter Gulch area...closed to sheep hunting. Maybe the advertiser is mentioning this ram as it is in a closed area that he hunts near. Just a speculation, as I don't know the guide.

What ever happened to the giant Ram on the cover of Tony Russ' sheephunting book??? Does anyone knows what he measured? or would someone give a good estimate of what he would measure up to be....Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    What ever happened to the giant Ram on the cover of Tony Russ' sheephunting book??? Does anyone knows what he measured? or would someone give a good estimate of what he would measure up to be....Just curious.
    Seems like I heard that ram was in Canada. I could be way off base though.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

that ram was from canada.... No one found the pickups supposidly! eitherway that's a huge ram.

Kind of ironic sheep hunting in alaska has a canadian sheep picture on it don't ya think! Great book regardless..just brings a chuckle when I think about it

When I picked up my bear rug from th taxidermist yesterday, he actually had a ram on the wall that he took off the Kenai that went over 40". I didn't ask how long ago he shot it, but he did say it was one of the last 40" taken off the Kenai.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default 43"...

Dad's buddy got a dandy from the Kenai maybe 17-18 years ago...pretty sure he measured 43x14...he wasn't top 50 though I don't think, but he was pretty dang nice.

Default book rams

Well according to that second chart, in the last 20 years there is only one book ram from the Kenais and two from the Wrangells. So either all the big rams disappeared in these ranges, or guys stopped entering them in the books. Anyone know which is more likely?

Default BC-Sheep

The two big rams taken in the Brooks Range- T-Craft and Marty Webb's are top 10 all time sheep taken in the 1990's. They were originally measured and entered and are in several of the BC books. However, the BC club wanted a final measurement down in Montana and the two Fairbanks Hunters decided that everybody knew how magnificent those rams were so they didn't have them finalized.

Ed Rasmussen shot a monster in that Kluane First Nation Auction hunt but didn't enter it. I think it might have been high 178 in 2006. An Alaskan in Canada but if I had his money I would do the hunt too.

The Insurance guy in Wasilla shot a 177 1/2 44 incher in 2006. I can find his name but not right now at school.

Cynthia Cassell shot a 177 dall sheep in the Western Alaska range in 2004.

I know of at least two other non-park sheep that are in the 175-178 inch class that were taken in the Eastern Chugach.

Billy Dunbar shot a 180 inch dall sheep in that fab in the early 90s unit 123 that everybody puts in for.

There is a combination of lack of scorers and disinterest in actually having rams scored outside of Alaska.

Looking for trends...Western Alaska and the Chandalar Shelf...
    Nuff said.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

My guess is the next booner will come out of the White Mts.
    I don't know why but I just have a feeling.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast