Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are these two rifles adequate for?

Default What are these two rifles adequate for?

I have done a lot of searching in the forums to try and find my answers but wasn't quite able to find what I was looking for.

I have a Winchester Model 70 .270 that was just given to me by my grandfather. My dad has also asked me if I'd like to take his Ruger 7mm magnum with me when I move to AK this spring.

I have read that a .270 is a good gun for sheep, caribou, and moose. What do you guys have to say about these two rifles and what's the largest game you would hunt with them? What would your preferable loads be? I've read that a 150 grain bullet out of the .270 would be a good choice.

I don't know a lot about rifles, any info would be helpful.

Thanks

Other than really big brown bears, either gun is perfectly adequate for any Alaskan game.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Sounds like a couple nice rifles. I would go 130-140's in the 270 and 160's in the 7mm. The 7 would be a better choice on moose but for everything smaller the 270 will do fine. Neither is an especially good choice for Brownies but the 7mm would most likely do the job.

Two great guns! 7mm would be a better moose gun. Good for all but the biggest browns.

Any interest in selling that OLD, OLD, Old, Win. Model 70 or trading for a shinny, sparkly, stainless, Nice safe newish, firearm, I am only thinking of your safety and that OLD Model 70............

Either would be adequate for any Alaskan game save coastal bears and bison (not much chance of that at any rate).

Lots of wonderful bullet choices and factory loads for both.

Oh I don't know about selling it...I am going to go shoot both rifles this weekend. I've shot the 7mm before but just got the .270. My dad said he weighed both rifles and the .270 is heavier than the 7mm. I think he said it was about 12 lbs? I'll have to confirm that one. But if I'm going to be doing any long distance back pack hunts for sheep or Caribou I may want a lighter rifle than that.

Thanks for the feedback!

Default 7 mm

Keep the 7 mag. it will do anything you need. I know this will get some flak.... but dump the 270 , at least for moose. I have seen more moose wounded with it than anything else.

Bring both! If you find after a couple of years that you aren't using one, trade it for something you like.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    Oh I don't know about selling it...I am going to go shoot both rifles this weekend. I've shot the 7mm before but just got the .270. My dad said he weighed both rifles and the .270 is heavier than the 7mm. I think he said it was about 12 lbs? I'll have to confirm that one. But if I'm going to be doing any long distance back pack hunts for sheep or Caribou I may want a lighter rifle than that.

Thanks for the feedback!

O' It's a HEAVY, Old Model 70, gee I might be your very, very last sucker, who would buy such a OLD, Heavy, Clunker........act Quick.......

Either will work fine for all but Brown bear. I have shot 7 moose with a 270win using 150gr Speer on 6 and a 130gr Hor on the other. None got away. All were complete penetration except the 130. It went through both shoulder blades and was a classic muchroom against the offside hide. The 7 Mag with 160s will be fine for all but the Browns. Loaded with a good 175gr it will even work on the Browns but would not be my first choice.

Thumbs up Keep the 270

I don't have that much experience with 7mm's, but we've killed plenty of moose, caribou, black bears, sheep, and a griz with a 270 pushing 150 grainers with NO complaints. I know of 2 guys specifically who use them exclusively up here for everything. When you put the bullet where it belongs, it's a killer... My .02...

Default 270

yes the 270 will kill anything no question about it. I have seen a lot of moose/caribou killed over my years guiding and on the easy broadside shots at close range with good bullets the 270 will work fine (most of the time) Its when the range gets a little longer or the angle not the best that its true colors show. Im not alone in this thinking either, the 270s greatest all time supporter " Jack OConnor" himself said the same thing except he went one step farther, he went on to say the 270 was a poor choice for the north hunting other than sheep, because of the chance a hunter might get a chance at something bigger like moose/bear. There are just to many better calibers. I have personally shot moose with the 7mm08 and I cant explain why but I know it kills way better than the 270, you wouldnt think there would be any difference but there is. For this reason and some other examples I have seen over the years I dont put much stock in paper ballistics other than to sight in.

I keep any gun given to me by relatives. It doesn't matter if I never plan to take it hunting. I guess I'm just sentimental like that. If you decide you need something else for hunting later, that's just a good excuse to buy more guns!

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    What do you guys have to say about these two rifles. What would your preferable loads be? I've read that a 150 grain bullet out of the .270 would be a good choice.
    I have hand loaded 140gr Serria SPBT in the 270 with great results. With this load I have shot over a dozen deer, a few florida feral hogs and numerous ground hogs anywhere from 35 yards to 250 yards. None took another step, all were DRT.

I agree with c04hoosier, I'm sentimental as well, any weapon given to me by a relative does not get sold or trade off.

The 7mm mag I had was a tack driver as well and more powerful than the 270. While stationed at Ft Bliss, Texas, I often fired it at the ranges out as far as 1K yards. The rifle was limited more by my abilities than its own, if I done my job, it did as well.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    I have personally shot moose with the 7mm08 and I cant explain why but I know it kills way better than the 270, you wouldnt think there would be any difference but there is. For this reason and some other examples I have seen over the years I dont put much stock in paper ballistics other than to sight in.
    I do not put much stock in paper ballistics, but the actual external ballistics are another matter. I'm not questioning your experience with the 7mm-08 and I agree it is a fine cartridge. Regardless of how you feel concerning paper ballistics, trying to establish that the 7mm-08 "kills way better than the 270" sounds a good bit beyond absurd IMO. In your experience the 7mm-08 may have been more effective, but the difference is not attributable to the differences in the cartridges (.007 difference in diameter and 200 fps). Shot placement, bullet selection and the demeanor of the particular animals shot would make a much greater impact (no pun intended) than which of these two cartridges is used as the 270 and 7mm-08 are like the two peas in the proverbial pod for hunting under 300 yards.

To the OP, both rifles (270 & 7mm RM) are excellent general purpose rifles and can be used effectively on all big game in AK, except for Bison http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...abison.weapons. Learn to shoot them well and choose your ammunition accordingly and you'll have two very fine rifles for hunting in AK or anywhere else in NA.

Default cor

C I guess I should have said it like this. The 7mm08 has performed better than the 270 on the big game animals I have seen shot with them.
    Not tooting my horn but the fact is as a guide for over 20 years I have seen a lot more game killed than the average hunter (no i dont think it makes me an expert, but I do get the chance to see a lot more bullets and calibers perform than most) and I dont know of any guide that would recommend the 270 for moose/ grizzly unless that was the the gun the hunter was the most familar with and did not plan to make many hunts up north. There are just too many batter calibers that will do a far better job, like the 7mm mag.

Thanks guys for all the feedback. I definitely don't want to do anything half-assed and want to use an adequate rifle for my quarry. In another post I had a while back, most people advised that it's best to have two rifles or more. I will most likely use the .270 for sheep and caribou and a larger rifle (7mm) for Moose. If I get to hunt grizzlies then I wil probably spring for a larger gun.

Thanks again

Thumbs up granpa's?

I would use the 7mm for most of your hunting and keep the 270 in the cabinet. Why? Seeing that was your grandfathers gun, there is a good possibility that is a pre-64 model 70 and as such would be worth a ton of money. My buddy was offered 3500 for his (in xcellent condition) by the local gun dealer just last year. Just humble opinion.

Default 64

never thought of that! I have a friend that in a winchester collector, he has paid more than 5 k for some! Totaly away from the OP but we had a hunter last year with a pre 64 300 hh original with a 28 inch barrel, very rare and he was useing it! my kind of guy. Good luck MH you will love AK!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast