Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: flytying sub forum?

Default flytying sub forum?

does anyone know why we dont have a flytying sub forum, im a member of michigan sportsmans forum, and they have one, i think it would also be nice to have one on here. anyone else agree?
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Default good idea

im not shure why there isnt one but its a good idea.
    brian m would know.

Thumbs up thumbs up!!

I belong to a number of other forms, and their fly tying forums are a great source of help with all phases of tying for both beginners and advanced tiers. Great to share ideas, introduce new patterns, receive constructive criticism, explore materials and tying techniques . . . it's a sure winner. I vote YES!

Thumbs up i agree!

im with you 100% steelguy, i enjoy seeing all the new patterns and also helping others that are new at tying. And also shareing pics of flies that produce for me!

Great idea. It would be a great way to learn, share and compare.

I am definately all for it!

I'm going to buck the trend here and say that I like it just how it is. Don't get me wrong... I'm totally addicted to tying flies, but I just think fly tying threads are a nice addition in here to the gear questions and "where would you go?" dreaming that helps pass the long winter months. Maybe when it gets to the point that there are so many fly tying threads I can't sort through them all I'll sing a different tune... Until then, there are some threads that are half fly fishing/half fly tying, and if we start spreading them out it's just more for me to miss. There are already too many subforums here for me to keep up on.

On a side note, for all your lashers of feathers and fur to hooks, this is a pretty sweet website if you haven't seen it before. It has very good tutorials on a wealth of different patterns.
    http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/index.cfm
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Default check this site out

http://www.aswf.info/multimedia/flytying.html
    Now, I have to say that I totally and respectfully disagree with Wyo2AK. The above site has videos of the various flies featured. Very beneficial to both novice and advanced tiers. Novice tiers don't know where to begin without taking classes to develop the myriad of techniques out there. And advance tiers can always learn and experiment with clever and unique innovations. The beauty of the web is the world of knowledge that can so easily be shared. I can only see having a sub forum as a huge plus for anyone that wants to look.

Default another excellent forum to learn from

Okay, here is the main tying forum I try to follow, and I am totally blown away by what other people are tying. A lot of these patterns are for saltwater, and I think variations of what you'll find on this site will work quite well in Alaskan waters. Hey, if you want to stay in the dark, simply don't look. But if you can possibly improve what you're doing, I don't see why anyone would resist learning. Maybe I have to go back and reread Wyo2AK's post, maybe I'm missing something.

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...play.php?f=170

Cool sorry wyotoak

sorry wyotoak but i have to disagree with you.
    though there is already tons of subforums, i think fly tying at least needs a stickythread or something.

Default Wow...

tough crowd!

Quote Originally Posted by steelguy View Post
    Hey, if you want to stay in the dark, simply don't look. But if you can possibly improve what you're doing, I don't see why anyone would resist learning. Maybe I have to go back and reread Wyo2AK's post, maybe I'm missing something.
    In fear of being labeled a philistine... I never meant to say I don't like learning and sharing new techniques, patterns, tips, materials, etc. I understand that there's a wealth of knowledge out there to be tapped. I have subfolders in subfolders in my "fly tying" favorites on the internet. I remember learning how to cut spun deer hair with a double sided razor blade, learning how to spin floss to make extended bodies for damselflies, having the whole world of articulated flies opened up to me! etc etc

I simply was trying to say that in general I like the fly fishing and fly tying thrown together, as there's obviously a lot of overlap. If it got to the point there were so many threads on fly tying that it was making it hard for people to post/read/contribute on other topics, then split 'em up! ON THE OTHER HAND... I can see where having a separate subform could encourage people to post more often on fly tying without fear of overwhelming other fly fishing threads. If there were a fly tying subforum, I'd undoubtedly contribute. Bring it on!

In the meantime, here are a couple of sites on tying intruders (in the more classic and more contemporary style). To the point, I'd never seen using a loop and hook to make a pseudo-tube fly until I saw that second link.
    http://www.angelfire.com/wa/salmonid/fly574.html
    http://oregonflyfishingblog.com/2009...yle-intruders/
    I'd really like to explore this pattern more... I have some emu I think I could put to use, but currently I'm enthralled in tying tiny midges and nymphs.

(joe... you would disagree with me. you may be even more addicted than I am.)

Default Is there a reason to add a subforum?

I guess it would make it simpler to find fly tying threads, but are they hard to find now? It's not that big a deal one way or another to me, but I sort of like the all-flyfishers-around-one-campfire format. But if the question is aimed at listing the pros/cons of such a subforum here, I'll add to the discussion.

1. There isn't much clear need is there? What "need" would be met by making a subfolder? We already talk about fly tying here. Page one of the Alaska Flyfishing forum already goes back 3 weeks of thread titles. To me, "it ain't broke". I don't find it difficult to keep up with or find specific threads. When I want to find something specific, I use the Advanced Search function and find it works well. Otherwise, with everything under one forum, it's easy to scan for interesting items in the past 1-3 weeks.

2. It just means another place to look. A subforum will make scanning flyfishing threads more cumbersome than it needs to be. I read this forum somewhat like reading the newspaper: working my way through (all forums or "New Posts") picking out thread titles that interest me - like scanning news story titles. The more compartments we create, the more places there are to look...and not that there's that much "clutter" to sort through in flyfishing - page one of threads goes back 3 weeks now. Adding folders in a filing system can be good, but the more folders you have, the more places you have to look. It would just get slower to just peruse what's new in the past week or so. Yes, I understand that TWO [folders] is not a large number, but...

3. It will slow down page loading time without meaningful gain in function. OK, I don't know if this would be even measurable, but it will increase bandwidth required () without enough functional improvement - as far as these poor eyes see anyhow. As things now stand, within approx 1 minute, I can read through the first 5 pages of thread titles. If I want to see articles on tying... conehead leeches...after about 30 seconds of Advanced Search, I'm done. The current site features work well and volume in the current forum is readily manageable.

4. When ads for firearms were included in the Swap & Sell forum, a gun ad would get buried in 2,3,5 or more pages of threads going back months. The fly fishing forum doesn't get that kind of volume. If fly tying threads, where volume is much lower, were segregated onto a separate subforum, wouldn't that subforum tend to move slowly most of the time? And without flytying threads wouldn't the remaining Alaska Flyfishing forum slow down too?

So... I'm finding this adding up to a "no" for me. I don't see a gain that makes the suggested subforum worthwhile. I see potential disadvantages.

Well said 6X. Those were some of the points I was trying to make initially. Only you made them much better.

a fly tying sub forum would be great...another one would be a fly pattern forum dedicated to nothing but photo's and recipes.

Default On the other hand...

reading TradBow's comment about fly patterns - a subforum with nothing but photos&recipes - that could be helpful couldn't it?

Convenience/time savings: For anyone just curious what folks here were tying, or just getting started and wanted to know how to tie flies, some of which were already tried and true the subforum would collect photos/recipes instead of having to look back months to find only a few relevant threads. Looking back 10 pages covering 7 months of posts, I counted 3 threads with fly photos/instructions including TradBow's 7-hr 7-hook frog:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=67381
    A subforum with photos/recipes would eventually collect all these threads and expedite browsing.

Encourage posts: Hey, wintertime and all - a subforum for photos/recipes sounds like a fine showcase for photos/recipes, tips/tricks that would give us all some needed wintertime distraction . Such posts in the past have been excellent with photos/teaching tips, such as this one on tying popsicles: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=56908

Encourage us to develop fly photo technique: I found taking pics of flies took some practice - the right focal distance, lighting.... background... were some things to consider.

Thumbs up

yeas i would have to agree nothing but photos and recipes

Default Great Sub-forum

Since we're on the fly tying sub-forum, check this guys ties out:

http://www.gajaflies.it/Welcome.html

Incredible.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by rippinlip View Post
    Since we're on the fly tying sub-forum, check this guys ties out:

http://www.gajaflies.it/Welcome.html

Incredible.
    All that jungle cock and bustard made my wallet cry a little, but yeah - the flies are incredible.

Wyo2ak - I agree, Charlie Craven's site is really cool too.

Great idea!
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I'm down.......you have my support on this sub forum

I've been tying flies for about 19 yrs. now. The whole family put me to work tying flies for extra cash when I was a kid. It's a good hobby for children if you ask me. gonna pick up my son his first fly tying kit this year.

AK flies can be very specific and very much unlike the rest of em.....so going to another forum might not be as informative as Alaskans sharring patterns with other Alaskans and folks who want to fish up here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast