Thread: Broken skeg

Default Broken skeg

I purchased a used 2004 Yamaha F60 for a skiff that I only use occassionally. The whole skeg is broke off of the lower unit. How will this affect the performance? The boat is a 20' commercial skiff with some V to it, but flattens out.(Typical setnet style) I will hardly use it except to dip and maybe take out of Deep Creek one or two times a year, so unless it is terrible I will live with it. Just curious if anybody had any expierence with this.

I know when I had a slightly damaged skeg on my boat it caused alot of vibration. Is it possible to install a skeggard on yours? There has to be just a little left to mount one on and this will act as the skeg. Just an idea.

I would bring it in and have it repaired. It's not too terribley expensive. I had a skeg break off where I thought I had no chance of having it fixed but they did and it's been working great ever since. When it's broken off that bad they'll tell you that the next time it happens you'll need a new lower unit so be careful how you run it in the future.

I broke one completely off on a steep driveway. I took it to a prop shop and he repaired it while straightening out my prop that needed attention anyway. They fixed both very reasonably and apologized for the paint not matching perfectly even though I never could see where the weld is nor can I see any difference in paint color. I don't remember how much it was, but I think it was around a hundred bucks or so for both.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Depends on how iportant turning is to you. The skeg is effectively your rudder, so w/o it, you won't be able to turn as effectively, and may notice some problems with straightline stability.

I had a few inches of my skeg break off (stern drive) and it made no difference. I'm not sure about how not having any skeg would affect things. Maybe for turning, but I'm thinking that your turning is based mostly on direction of prop thrust and not the skeg (just guessing). If you could get it fixed for $100, maybe I would. Be sure whoever welds on a new one knows what they're doing. I've heard about how welding can mess up the oil in the lower unit because of the heat, so there's apparantly a right way and a wrong way to go about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundfisher View Post
    The whole skeg is broke off of the lower unit.
    Super easy fix. About an hour and a C note at your local boat repair shop. Don't try to run it broken; just get it fixed.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

My son broke his mostly off on a 250 Yamaha and they fixed it and the prop at a prop shop you can't tell anything ever happened. Fixing the prop and skeg only cost a couple hundred or less. The prop was expensive to fix because it was SS and missing part of one blade.

Thanks for the info guys. I did call A1 Prop and they said that it would be about $125. I got the motor cheap, so I don't mind putting a few bucks into it. I spend most of my time(and money) in my SS Pilothouse,so I am just trying to be frugal! I will only use it a few times a year, so I was just wanting some feed back. I just have to drop the lower unit and take it to them, and they put it in a jig and weld it. But, before I do that, I am going to Email a picture to them to make sure that it is repairable.

You don't need to take anything apart. Just pull the whole boat with motor up to the shop door. They cut out a piece of aluminum plate and rough it to about the right size/shape as the skeg should be. A little prep grinding on the motor side and weld the piece of aluminum in place. Then a few minutes of grinder work to shape it, a little sander work to smooth things out, followed by a quick shot of paint.

If you only use this boat down here on the peninsula, PM me if you're interested in a shop recommendation that can do the job on your next trip down. Drop the boat, go get dinner, and it will be ready when you're done.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    You don't need to take anything apart. Just pull the whole boat with motor up to the shop door.
    That is how I did it. It is much easier.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer