Thread: Age for IBEP

Default Age for IBEP

I am planning on getting my whole family into archery this year. I have 2 boys that will be getting involved (6&8) I was curious what the likely hood of having them take hunter safety and perhaps the IBEP course with my wife and I was. Can an 8yo even shoot if he doesn't draw 40lbs? Can a 6 yo who doesn't read even take the courses, for that matter can an 8yo new reader?

I don't have some expectation of my kids being the next robin hood or anything but it would be nice to make this a family event! I am less worried about them passing the course especially the shooting portion but it would be neat for them to go through the process.

Lujon,

Not sure on the shooting part, but they will give the test verbally. Both my sons took the Hunter Safety Course at very early ages and they had the test read to them. Gun Safety is about safety, not how good you can read.

Default Shooting

The shooting portion must be done with the equipment that you are going to hunt with. No electronic sights, nothing to hold the bow at full draw, and it must be of hunting weight as far as I know. If it isn't the minimal weight then you can't hunt with it for the IBEP required hunts.

They can take the test, but have one year to pass the shooting portion.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Dave, when did this change?

There was no stipulation as to what they shot or how much weight they shot. My x wife couldnt make weight to hunt however after a few phone calls we found out quickly there was no reason she couldnt take the course both class room and shooting and be issued a card if she passed.

There was no stipulation as to what bow either...compound or trad though I thought there should have been. The people you'd see show up 2 3 4 people shooting one bow...people showing up with tags on the bow, people openingly admitting they hadnt ever shot and arent sure whats going to happen. That unto itself is why I stopped teaching the class. (and after some guiding the reason I stopped guiding hunters also!).

Well, I guess I will find out in early March when I take the instructors course. I do recall, very specifically, that my instructor actually required every bow to be over 40# to shoot the practical portion of the test.

Personally, I wouldn't have taken my 6 or 8 yr old kids to the class. I know mine wouldn't have sat still that long, but your kids might be totally different.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default No change

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    Dave, when did this change?
    This is not a change as far as I know. We have had guys show up with electronic sights and everything and they could not shoot. Bow type, does not matter. With a handicap permit a crossbow would be allowed. Maybe we are wrong on the poundage, I will check.

Yes it is strange how people show up. One did not even have a bow. He asked until he found someone willing to loan him one for the shoot. He passed though.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    This is not a change as far as I know. We have had guys show up with electronic sights and everything and they could not shoot. Bow type, does not matter. With a handicap permit a crossbow would be allowed. Maybe we are wrong on the poundage, I will check.

Yes it is strange how people show up. One did not even have a bow. He asked until he found someone willing to loan him one for the shoot. He passed though.
    I will have to guage how they are progressing and it is a while away for now. I have heard that IBEP is required for bow hunting in the ANC area for small game. Honestly being certified should be based on accuracy. Sure you can't hunt certain game untill you can draw over 40/50lbs but I have a hard time believing that an 8yo that can shoot a lesser draw weight accurately enough to pass the shooting portion would somehow lose that capability when he was able to draw hunting weight.

Just curious, what's the hurry? Kids can't get there own draw tags until they are 10. They also can't get there own harvest tickets until they are 10.

Just be fun to shoot all summer and if they are up for it give them the opportunity to go through it with me, especially the older one. I doubt even at 10 they will be able to draw the required weight though my middle son may surprise me! This isn't a draw issue for me and I would gladly let one of my sons punch my tag.

It'll still be fun to shoot with you all summer When they are ready for it they will come to you and say they are ready for their archery card if you let them know the requirements. That's what my son is doing this summer. I let him go at his own pace and now he says he's ready.

Default IBEP Certification

I talked to one of the fish and game archery course instructors a few months ago and he told me that there is no age or weight limit on the certification. If they can pass the two parts of the test, they can certify. They would though have to pull the minimum weight for each species before they could hunt it.

That's cool, I would be o.k. with that...afterall all you have to shoot in hunter safety is a .22LR.

Cohip,

Thats exactly what I was told by Bob Hunter in the fairbanks office. It has been awhile though when my x took it.

As long as they can pass the written and shooting ie proficiency, they can pass the ibep course. It does not state you have to make weight to shoot the proficency portion...obviously there ARE small game hunts that do not require a bow weight at all. You had to make weight to HUNT! This very topic was covered in an instructors meeting years back. They were trying at the time to get everyone on the same page. Ironically only 4 instructors showed up. Del, Andy Poncho, me and I can never remember the 4th guy, great great man but his name eludes me everytime I think of him lol. It was back in the day when the anchorage instructors were touting you had to shoot broadheads at the proficiency test which again is not the standard. I dont disagree it shouldnt be the standard but it was not mandated!

And if I remember right there is nothing stating that it even has to be a legal bow..ie lighted sites elect sites whatever. I may be wrong here, but again it's a proficiency test. It's not a hunt!

The difference is you can't HUNT with that stuff it doesnt mean you can't take the shooting course!

Doug, our basic hunter ed class SUCKS! Mn STILL to this day has it set up like a hunter ed course should be in a mentorship style. 8 hour class's for a couple of months, a couple nites a week. We also had to shoot shotguns, and had an opportunity to shoot pistols, the only pass fail to any of them was handling them safely around people and on the range. A crap now ya got me heated up on the hole reason I quit teaching the 'bowhunter ed' course. The hole thing disgusts me to this day! The day they changed to a panzy online course and the shortest possible classroom schedule, I was done! The course was to short to begin with.

Trad- I see your point. I felt a need, however, to help provide a local source to instruct archery and fulfill the state requirements for the endorsement since it's a bit of a drive for some folks to get it done in my area. That is why I'm heading down to Anchorage for the next class to get my instructors ticket.

I hope to teach the state course, then offer instruction through the summer for those who are interested. It would be really nice to believe that many will take me up on the offer. I'm hoping to blend our high school N.A.S.P. program, our future homeschool N.A.S.P program, and this class all into one. We'll see how it goes.