Thread: Skiff rental?

Default Skiff rental?

Hey guys,
    Im looking into renting a skiff this spring. Im fairly flexible, I will consider either Homer, Seward, or Whittier.

A net search revealed a couple companies; one in Homer and one in Whittier. They were renting 22' Hewes. However they wanted 500+ a day!! That's ridiculous. Prices were sooo much cheaper in Ketchikan.

Im looking for something on the scale of 16' Lund or similar. 100-200 a day I could swallow.

Anyone know of a place where I could find what I am looking for??

Appreciate the assistance.

If you want a fishing partner, I can rent one from the MWR on Fort Rich for a loooooot less than $500 a day. Drop me a PM if your interested.

Default Skiffs

I've looked as well...

The only place that meets your criteria that I'm aware of is Miller's Landing in Seward. They rent a bayrunner-type skiff (maybe a bayrunner ) that's going to be in your price range, I believe.

The only other place I have found that rents that type/cost of boat is Fish Central in Valdez.

Travis

500 bucks for a comfortable safe boat that 4 people can fish is not too unreasonable. I rented a small skiff in Valdez 11 years ago. Beautiful day or so I thought. Cost me about 180 bucks if I recall. Got out to Jack Bay and started to fish. Weather came up and we started to head back in that open under powered skiff. I, along with my family am lucky to be here today. If you want to do it yourself and have the freedom, 500 bucks a day plus fuel is cheap for a fully equiped boat. Still no guarantee to catch fish.

Quote Originally Posted by sthrcave View Post
    If you want a fishing partner, I can rent one from the MWR on Fort Rich for a loooooot less than $500 a day. Drop me a PM if your interested.
    Well I was thinking spring bear hunt. But now that you mention fishing ... I might just PM you.

Quote Originally Posted by HiPlainsDrifter View Post
    I've looked as well...

The only place that meets your criteria that I'm aware of is Miller's Landing in Seward. They rent a bayrunner-type skiff (maybe a bayrunner ) that's going to be in your price range, I believe.

The only other place I have found that rents that type/cost of boat is Fish Central in Valdez.

Travis
    Right on, I'll give them a call. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    500 bucks for a comfortable safe boat that 4 people can fish is not too unreasonable. I rented a small skiff in Valdez 11 years ago. Beautiful day or so I thought. Cost me about 180 bucks if I recall. Got out to Jack Bay and started to fish. Weather came up and we started to head back in that open under powered skiff. I, along with my family am lucky to be here today. If you want to do it yourself and have the freedom, 500 bucks a day plus fuel is cheap for a fully equiped boat. Still no guarantee to catch fish.
    Im sorry, but A 14' Lund in Ketchikan is 100$ a day. A 16' is 135$, a 17' or 18' woolridge is 250$ a 19' hewes for 250$ and the 22' hewes is 300. So Im a little shocked at the 500+ price tag for the exact same thing.

Im not planning on any crazy open water fishing. This is for a spring bear hunt. I won't be terribly far from shore at any given time. The 22' hewes is just more boat than I anticipate needing for this adventure both size wise and price wise.

Thanks for the help so far! Keep the ideas coming.

Default In Seward

If you're thinking bear hunting, I'm not sure where that will take you, but...

Something I forgot about is Miller's limits how far you can take their skiffs. Not outside Resurrection Bay, they have a map online of the specifics.

The place in whittier used to rent 20' bayrunners w/ 50 horse hondas for ~$200/day.

Costs me $100 just to tow my boat to whittier, pay the tunnel fee, pay the launch fee, and pay the parking fee.

If you're just looking for transportation to a location in the sound, the outfitters might be more cost effective then renting a boat. But $500/day is much cheaper than going out with a 6 pack for a day charter, and way less than opperating costs of your own boat.

Personally I'd say that a 16' lund isn't suitable for boating out of Whittier or Seward.

Paul, do you happen to know if they still have those bayunners available in whittier? I would be interested if they did, but when I went looking recently I couldn't seem to find them.

Thanks,

Travis

You'll have to e-mail them or call them. I didn't see them listed on their web page when I checked last year.

I rented one ~5 years ago, before I'd finished building my tolman. The 20' bayrunner is a nice little skiff for going with 2 or 3 people. But, what I've found is that to consistantly get into fish out of Whittier, you have to run much farther than I'd be comfortable running a 20' skiff.

Kinda the same thing for Seward. You don't have to run as far out from Seward as you do in Whittier, but the water in Seward generally get's bigger/faster with no place to hide. I wouldn't mind going out of Seward in a 20' skiff, but no way with a 16' lund.

Default Skiffs

South passage outfitters ,near elfin cove

fish cental in valdez must have raised there prices i paid 300 for a 21ft underpowerd open skiff last summer took me about 4 hrs. to get to galena bay let me tell you what i would gladley pay the extra $200 for a cabin cruiser once the weather set in on the way home.

Quote Originally Posted by HiPlainsDrifter View Post
    If you're thinking bear hunting, I'm not sure where that will take you, but...

Something I forgot about is Miller's limits how far you can take their skiffs. Not outside Resurrection Bay, they have a map online of the specifics.
    To be honest, Im not really sure where that will take me either...

Kind of half the point. Just to get out and do something a little different and have a good time on a (safe) adventure. Experience somewhere new and see things that I haven't seen. Hopefully without completely shattering the already fractured bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    The place in whittier used to rent 20' bayrunners w/ 50 horse hondas for ~$200/day.

Costs me $100 just to tow my boat to whittier, pay the tunnel fee, pay the launch fee, and pay the parking fee.

If you're just looking for transportation to a location in the sound, the outfitters might be more cost effective then renting a boat. But $500/day is much cheaper than going out with a 6 pack for a day charter, and way less than opperating costs of your own boat.

Personally I'd say that a 16' lund isn't suitable for boating out of Whittier or Seward.
    Thanks! I'll be sure to double check with them.
    If I had a boat, Id tow it and such. But alas I am among the boatless.
    I appreciate the candid advice. Thats why Im here!

Sounds like the best option is a water taxi out of Homer.. for a drop off and hunt via the best way.. boots on the ground.

Thanks again guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy View Post
    South passage outfitters ,near elfin cove
    I was half hoping to stay on Kenai Pen. I checked out their website though. Would be pretty fun. Somewhere I haven't been in quite a while.

I could fly to Juneau on the constituent fare.. float plane. wonder how much they would charge for just the skiff.. minus the cabin and food and stuff. Camp on the beach for a couple days. worth looking into. Thanks.