Thread: HewesCraft AK Hardtop modifications.

Default HewesCraft AK Hardtop modifications.

Anyone out there have any suggestions on modifications for a new Alaskan Hardtop before it leaves Dewey's. It is the 26' with galley and stand up head. As of yet, I am only having them add 2 fans to the interior and pole holders to the cockpit. Labor is free on anything you put on before it leaves so I am up for any and all suggestions. I want this thing tricked out. Thanks

If install is free, I would add an Espar Airtronic D4 heater. This is a fantastic unit.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Not sure if you like fishing in the rain. Might want a top to cover your back deck or even a complete removable enclosure. Deweys works closely with Silverstreak boats for tops. I didn't get one, but an in final stages now to get a removable hard top for the back fishing deck. Ben with Silverstreak does make a great soft top. Had one on my first boat from him. Top notch. He also can just make a 1/2 top that doesn't get in the way. Something to think about. Also, Deweys does throw in a windlas but its not the best in the world. I recommend you upgrade if you have a good budget. Also if they have the G2 vision bluechart chip for the gps/chartplotter/fishfinder, get it. Its the cats meow!!!

Talking

I would also consider adding:

1. Scotty type plugs for the cockpit area for pot pullers and electric reels.
    2. LED lighting wherever you have lights.
    3. Isolator components for the batteries.
    4. Lewmar 700 freefall windlass. May need bow rollers.
    5. Additional cigarette lighter adapter plugs on the dash.
    6. Electronic compass/Autopilot.
    7. Secondary 4-6 gauge power wires to the front with buss-bars and fuse box for future accessories in the front.
    8. Ducting for Espar to windshield (defroster) and cabin.
    9. "baseball cap" type canvas for the cockpit.

Just my 2 cents...as long as it is free...

Oh, also, you didn't mention power but if you do not have a fuel management system, you may want to consider adding it unless you are going with a NEMA 2000 compatible system like Garmin 5200 series and then I would go with the GFS 10, Garmin Autopilot and get enough screen space to be able to display all your functions while under way. Their HD Radar is great too. If getting that, then get a high radar bracket so you can put your dinghy under it. And make sure they use Blue Sea components.

If they'll do it, have them yank the factory installed Mayfair Marine bilge pumps and replace them with Rule bilge pumps & float switches. The MM pumps are lousy, and I used to replace one each season. I switched to a Rule pump, and I haven't replaced one since.

Again, if they'll do it, have them swap the 1-2-both battery switches (or don't install them in the first place) for a BEP Marine battery distribution panel (link). It comes with 3 switches and 2 voltage sensing relays for a 2-outboard/3-battery setup. You turn your batteries on at the beginning of the trip and turn them off at the end of the trip. That it! The relays take care of all of your charging needs and prevent the starting batteries from being discharged on extended trips.

I'll second the idea of adding a fuel management system. They are certainly worth the money.

Do you already have a stereo/CD player with a jack for an iPod? Music is a nice addition.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    If install is free, I would add an Espar Airtronic D4 heater.
    Agreed! If the labor is free, have them add cabin heat.

Babyhewey, I also own a Hewescraft Sea Runner 260 HT. Here's what I would recommend:

Fish Cleaning/Bait Station on transom
    Downrigger Mounts and Electrical Plugs
    Rod Racks on side cabin
    Anchor Winch
    Magnetic Whiskey Compass
    Spacer to raise the Pilot Seat
    Clothes Hooks (for rain gear/coats)
    Cup Holders
    Fuel Management Gauge
    And hopefully, you already have cabin heat

Hope this helps,

Boy, do I have my work cut out for me. There is some good news about the standard features on this boat. It comes with a fuel mgmt system, at least 1 add'l cigarette lighter, the on/off relay for the batteries and a Wallas heater.
    Must-haves that I am currently working on are the canvas top, compass, rod holders, electrical plugs for pot pullers, Garmin 5208 with radar & G2, cup holders and coat hooks. Thanks for the suggestions. Very helpful.

Since no one mentioned it....enjoy the boat and congrats. Sounds like its going to be a very nice rig. Can you hear the jealousy in my post

Congrats on the boat! If you're looking at a canvas top here's a pic of the work silver streak did for me...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=66984

For the amount of money that boat is costing you I would want to have.

As-built wiring diagram and size of wire noted on diagram.
    Labels put on all wiring.
    Equipment list and amount of power they use.

Happy boating.

Blue Sea Systems battery switch and isolator/combiner

A crapload of rocket launchers - I have a couple of Silver Streak's three-holers on either side of my hardtop. I like to be able to herk shrimp pots up onto the roof from the back deck, so no launchers across the back of the roof. Sides only.

Marine tinned wire and shrink terminals on anything Dewey's installs.

Rule bilge pump(s) - one on a float switch, one on a manual dash switch

Split the lid on your rear fishbox in half. they'll need to add an extra couple of hinges to do this.