Thread: Platypus Water Tanks

Default Platypus Water Tanks

Anyone tried these? Have read some good reviews online, am curious to see if anyone has used them, and what you think of them. Here's a link:

http://www.campsaver.com/itemMatrix....4&MatrixType=1

Default ...

Don't own, but have used. My brother has a few of them, and I LOVE them for use out in the field. Fold/store anywhere. Light, hold a lot when filled. Durable too. He's had the same ones for years and we always reuse them. Definately going to be an addition to my pack....once he stops me from using his.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

I have used them quite a few times in several different sizes. Good piece of gear for hauling a bunch of water. I also use them to bulk purify water befor putting in hydration bladders. I have not had good long term luck with the zip lock closures staying waterproof for more than a year or two though, particularly in the larger sizes.

They are awesome gear. I use them with my MSR Hyerflow water filter and the neck for the filter fits inside the Platypus. Weigh almost nothing and the ones I use hold almost 3 liters. They were really nice on a sheep hunt with the water source a ways off.

Default Good bags

I haven't used the zip loc style, but have used the standard water bags and really like them. It's more durable than I thought and weighs nothing.

I carry unfiltered water in a 6 or 8 liter Platypus bag (with the ziplock top) and then dump that water into my Katydin filter bag. From there the water drips into 2 liter platypus bags for storage and use. I've yet to have a bag fail, the bags are easily stored as they fold completely flat, and carrying water in them in a pack is extremely quiet if you squeeze out most of the air in the bag before you put the cap on. IMO Platypus bags rock! It would be fabulous if all gear was as good as Platypus bags.

WhiteFish

I kind of walk the fence on these. I do use them though I don't really love them for use as a main bladder. I use the biggest camelbak that I have been able to find for that purpose. I use a Katadyne filter and fill through the drinking tube on it. For me the platypus was the perfect answer for a light weight method to carry extra water. I don't fill it unless I am going to be going up high and staying there for a while. Then I will fill one or two up to get me through and just pour them into my camelbak or use them around camp. I have not found anything better, lighter, or more compact for doubling or tripeling your water capacity!

I use caps like these on mine. It makes them much easier to pour and keep air free.

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/sho..._-na-_-3624434

Steve