Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: salmon shark show & tell

Default salmon shark show & tell

check these out... baby salmon sharks taken from a female caught off of pogi a couple days ago.
    what is so neat about this is that in 13 years of salmon shark research there have been only 4 (including this one) pregnant females sampled on the west coast. in 35 years there have been another dozen sampled in japanese studies.
    the female was just over 7' measured to the caudal peduncle, which likely would have made her about 8 1/2' nose to tail, just about as big as they get.
    ken (the shark bio here) has never measured one that broke 9'.
    these pups would likely have been born in late spring after about a 9 month gestation. the female would have been heading south to the birthing grounds off central and southern CA sometime soon.
    all the 0-1 year old sharks they have found have been in that area, as you move north the age class increases, and no sharks in AK samples have been less than 5 years old.
    these sharks have a body temperature greater than ambient, and to accommodate their northern range salmon sharks have a 4th (most related sharks have 3) heat exchange organ located just above the uteri.
    after the pups hatch inside the mother, she produces non-viable eggs that are yolk only that the young actually eat in utero. she produces 100's of these, and the baby sharks stomachs distend to the size of soccer balls ( the one in the picture had the stomach accidently cut off when the shark was gutted)
    pretty amazing creatures, and it was neat to get the chance to see these pups.
    they were about 18" and were roughly 1/2 way to birth.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default couple more pics

you can see the stomach in the one in the formalin.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow, very cool! Thanks for sharing that, Dave. Do you know if the fishermen that caught the shark were intentionally targeting sharks today? If so, I didn't realize folks targeted them in the winter. Interesting.

i don't know if it was targeted, but there had been a lot of folks losing flashers to sharks lately , and i know that the charter skipper had everything on board to target them if he wanted to.

Very cool!

Dave,

Was that shark caught off the boat the Huntress on Sunday? I was down there this past weekend and had a king hooked and then lost him. Initially thought he broke off but after looking at the leader it was a clean cut way up by the flasher. Couldn't figure out what caused it but later heard from the Huntress they landed a Salmon Shark and right away figured that is what took our King.

Very cool pics. Thanks for sharing.

yep, that's the one.

My good friend was there and was the one that hooked and landed the shark. After losing one fish and some gear, he dropped back the remains of the salmon head with some wire and got the shark. I have some pictures waiting for me at home and will see if he will let me post them here in a week when I get off work. She was supposedly looking "rough" with chew marks in her fins and didn't pull as hard as one might expect, perhaps to the cold water temps this time of year, or the fact she was preggers?
    Anyway, he called me right after they got it on the boat. Good times.

That is one ugly baby!!!

That is WAY cool! Any pics of Mama?

Charterboat Operator

first for me!
    thanks for sharing Dave!

Default Shark Fisherman

I think most people who just had their King salmon ripped off would probably have been disappointed but would have shurgged it off and just went back to fishing for slamon.

Waldo2382's .....yr buddy, who had the presence of mind to give it a shot to catch his shark, with the head of his King, I say "good on ya"...... I'd like to hear the "rest of the story".

Thx, Homer Dave, for posting the shots, the background information and the biology of the salmon shark, interesting.

Fascinating stuff Dave, thanks for sharing it. I've always been intrigued by sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by pontiac-chief-51 View Post
    I think most people who just had their King salmon ripped off would probably have been disappointed but would have shurgged it off and just went back to fishing for slamon.

Waldo2382's .....yr buddy, who had the presence of mind to give it a shot to catch his shark, with the head of his King, I say "good on ya"...... I'd like to hear the "rest of the story".
    From what he told me, they used the head of one of the fish they had in the box. Tied on a wire leader that they always have on the boat for "just in case" to a halibut rod and tossed it out there. No weight. Just wire, hook, and head. As soon as the bait dropped back about 60 feet, the bait started taking swimming off especially fast, put the reel in gear and the fight was on. Like I said in an earlier post, the shark did not fight nearly as hard as some would suspect. I know my friend didn't pull very hard because there was fresh spectra that was not put on really really tight, like it should be; therefore not pulling very hard to keep the spectra from digging in. The shark came to the boat in 15 minutes or less. From my experience from fishing sharks, the harder you pull, the harder the shark pulls back.

Barbara Block, a scientist with the Monterey Aquarium in California would be VERY interested in those Salmon Shark pups. I've worked with her in the past with her Pacific blue fin tuna trips in San Diego and she also comes up to Alaska every year to tag and study Salmon Sharks aboard the DFG research vessel Solstice out of Cordova.

A face only a mother could love.

Thanks for passing along the info Dave. Very interesting.

Interestingly, we hooked into a salmon shark while halibut fishing two summers ago when I had a bunch of folks up for my wedding down in Homer. The shark didn't put up much of a fight but as you said, the harder we tried the harder it pulled. If we just dragged it in nice and easy it came on it. Once it saw the boat though it decided it had had enough and was gone immediately. Captain said it looked like a 7-8 footer. Pretty cool stuff.

WOW...that's crazy crazy! Do they get passed on for research...just thinking out loud here.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Default Homer News story

Here's the story from the Homer News with picture of "momma"...
    Last edited by Cliffhanger; 02-05-2010 at 20:29. Reason: typo

The pups are in the possession of one of the two top shark researchers on the west coast. I am sure that the knowledge gained will be share throughout the scientific community. Ken also has some one year old pups that washed up in Oregon last year.... When it comes to salmon shark reseach he is who peole refer to!

With a chin like that the father might be Jay Leno.

Anyone ever snag a tiger shark in the tail while fishing halibut? I have.....story time? Actually that's most of the story. Glad we got to see it after 45 minutes or I would have assumed I lost the derby winner (valdez). Ended up busting halibut line while we tried to gaff it after the 2nd 45 minute fight got him back in. Not sure what we were going to do with it if the line hadn't busted....smallish boat (Trophy).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast