Thread: Beaver Castor

Default Beaver Castor

Do any of you save beaver castor? How do you save it? I know you remove the castor glands then do you dry it or freeze it or use some other method. What do you do with your's, sell or make lure?

Ive done it two ways...for use in trap baits..

I hung it and dried it in my basement for a few months, then cut it up into small peices and put it in a baby food jar to use at cat sets, etc..

Last year I hung up a pair and it hung until a month ago when I took it down and cut it into slices to use in cat sets..it still smelled fine and was slightly caky and moist still...

From now on, as long as I wont get in trouble with the wife leaving them hang, I will just hang them up on a nail in my skinning room until I need them...

mash them in a jar with corn syurp. keep adding casters to the jar as you aquire them or more syurp. dosn't take much.

....we bag them up in the freezer; then when we have time, grind a batch up in the (I mean a) coffee grinder(not the one we use for coffee-
    -then, spoon into old jars...

-I like the baby food jar idea that was posted,and also the one with adding to corn syrup-
    -neat, I think I'll try it...

Grind your castor in the same grinder you do the coffee. Sure adds a zing to your morning drink!!
    Kinda goes with the wolf steak and eggs for breakfast!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Grind your castor in the same grinder you do the coffee. Sure adds a zing to your morning drink!!
    Kinda goes with the wolf steak and eggs for breakfast!
    ....lol....-yeah, I would imagine!

......you should see the look on peoples' faces when they come over and see one of the skulls we mount, simmering in the crockpot!