Thread: entry level equipment catalogs etc?

Default entry level equipment catalogs etc?

I am looking at fly fishing stuff in a very preliminary manner. I like to imagine myself standing on a sand bar by myself wearing a cool fly fishing hat and looking like a guy from an LL Bean catalog dragging a hand tied mouse imitation in front of some elusive rainbow trout that I have stealthily spotted that has never seen a hook before. Realistically I will probably one Bozo fishing for reds in a crowd of Bozos at the Russian River. I have looked at some catalogs, but might like to get some entry level equipment before I look to get the cu$tom fly rod that costs more than my pickup. Are there any catalogs or sources for information that I might look at to learn more and to find entry level equipment? I get Cabelaís and have looked at theirs. I will probably be casting it in my back yard most of the time while learning how to cast and donít really want to look at the Loomis, Sage and other rods right now. I want to learn how to cast and maybe hook into a few reds before upgrading my equipment.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Default St. Croix

You may want to look into St. Croix Rods. They make a quality product for a good price with the best warranty in the business. They have entry level rods for around a hundred bucks.

Also the best part of buying a Croix rod is that if/when you decide to trade up you can send your old rod in and they will give you the FULL purchase price toward a new rod. I just sent in a 9wt Imperial for one of their new center pin rods and only had to pay 100 bucks on what would have been a 300 dollar rod.

For my money the quality and service you get with St. Croix are hard to beat.

Temple Fork Outfitter rods are pretty nice as well. I started out fishing TFO rods and loved them. After all, the fish you are fishing for do not bite your fly because you are using some top of the line fly rod, or top of the line anything for that matter. I usually try and browse the Bargain Caves, or sale items on fly fishing sites I visit. Alaska Fly Fishing Goods has some good deals on Sage rods right now, and I've never used Cabelas rods but they usually have some good deals in their Bargain Cave as well.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    I like to imagine myself standing on a sand bar by myself wearing a cool fly fishing hat and looking like a guy from an LL Bean catalog dragging a hand tied mouse imitation in front of some elusive rainbow trout that I have stealthily spotted that has never seen a hook before.
    No problem. Drive to any river within an hour or two of Anchorage and you ought to get that experience right out of the parking lot

Cabelas brand stuff is actually a good route for a first rod because their warranty is pretty decent. The bargain cave in the back of the store sometimes has rods for $20-30 that would make for great practice/learning rods. Hopefully I'll pick one up in Lehi in a couple of weeks.

Togen has some attractive prices, not sure about the quality.

I would also take a look at tfo's... They make some pretty decent rods with a great warrenty.

Was just looking in the 2010 cabelas flyfishing cat. tonight here at work and noticed a lot of new, not so spendy rods out there.

And dont turn a cheek to something used! you usually can find a smoking deal on something that will do just fine for what you want without breaking the bank. Depending the manufactorer you may or may not get a warrenty with it...something worth paying just a tad more then rock bottom dollar on.

Default Don't do it.

Don't do it! Fly fishing is like crack! Once you get started its hard to stop. It can become an addiction that will consume you.

You'll buy some cheap gear to get you started (my first setup cost me all of $40.00) and you catch some fish. Then you start upgrading. You then start learning how to tie your own flies. You may even find yourself building your own rods. Notice that I said rods. One will never me enough. Oh yea did I mention reels? Oh then like all addictions you will want bigger and better, so you will be looking at switch and spey. More rods more reals and more lines.

When your not fishing you will be surfing the net looking for more information on fly fishing. The habits of fish. Understanding the life cycle of a caddis or mayfly. You will be planning your vacations and trips and try to figure out how to get some fishing in.

You will stand in the river with the rod you built yourself and the fly you tied yourself. You will cast many times like a monk saying a mantra clearing your mind. And on one cast a fish take that fly. For the next x number of minutes you will think of nothing but fighting and landing that fish. You will not be thinking of your job, wife, problems or life problems you will only be thinking of how to work that fish as the adrenaline flows through every fiber of your body. Once you land that fish you will have and afterglow. And within a few seconds you will be looking to do it again and again.

My advise is walk away while you can....

OP1
    PS. But if you don't walk away. You'll have a great time.

"Don't do it! Fly fishing is like crack! Once you get started its hard to stop. It can become an addiction that will consume you."...true

A buddy of mine took me fly fishing for greyling last fall one time. I bought a cheap $45.00 5wt set up and it sat in the garage until last weekend. Third cast I hooked a 12lb silver on the Kenai last Sunday I now tie flies (thanks to George) every night, I can't stop, I will drive to the Kenai again this Saturaday...can't stop...I shop new rods and reels all of the time...make it stop....the wife thinks I am crazy....I saw a guy casting soooo smooth and shooting line like a spinning rod and he explained all I have to do is buy better line ($70)....

I am going shopping now.....

there is still silvers around? man I'd love to bend a rod!!!

Echo rods. inexpensive, well made, better cork and finish than TFO (which isn't saying much).

Nothing wrong with starting off with less expensive gear. For that matter, you may never need to spend more. As mentioned, Cabelas, Echo, TFO, etc.. are great values and make some nice rods. Which ever route you take, get a rod with a good warranty. Being your first rod, you may very well use it (warranty). I started off with a Cabelas kit. Rod, reel, tube, etc.. perhaps called the "Genesis" kit. That is a pretty cheap way to get into flyfishing. I will also throw Scott rods in the loop. Fantastic rods for the money and can be bought for $99 at Sierra Trading Post. The warranty would make Cabelas or TFO the obvious choice though. If you want some info on learning to cast, get Lefty Kreh's "Fly Casting" (or similar title) from Cabelas. That dvd is how I learned to flyfish. Great no nonsense dvd from a flyfishing legend. This is the best time of year to get your feet wet. Spring is upon us. Good luck and have fun man. Got any "stupid" questions you don't want to post here? Shoot me a PM. I always have time to talk with you. Flyfishing is a lot easier than many make it out to be. Nothing to it man. Except LOADS OF FUN

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

If you insist on fly fishing here is an excellent series on you tube that will take you from casting to tying. Great start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2Sgc...x=0&playnext=1

OP1

Without reading all the previous posts I suggest you look at Sierra trading Post. The Targus rods are excellent rods for the money and they usually have some other pretty good deals as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Armo_Ak View Post
    You may want to look into St. Croix Rods. They make a quality product for a good price with the best warranty in the business. They have entry level rods for around a hundred bucks.

Also the best part of buying a Croix rod is that if/when you decide to trade up you can send your old rod in and they will give you the FULL purchase price toward a new rod. I just sent in a 9wt Imperial for one of their new center pin rods and only had to pay 100 bucks on what would have been a 300 dollar rod.

For my money the quality and service you get with St. Croix are hard to beat.
    ditto....

what ever you decide on, get a rod on the faster end....with the stuff you'll be chucking up here you'll have an easier time with a fast rod...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I started tying a few months ago. This **** is worse than a crack addiction

The tip on http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ is a good one that is a pretty cool website, I have several catalogs on the way. http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/ looks pretty good too. I found a sage dealer near my house too. Thanks for the tips.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

So I was poking fun at LL Bean in my original post, I may have spoken too soon. My brother recently mailed my daughters some stuff, he doesnít fish and he had recently received an LL Bean catalog in the mail so he threw that in with their package. There were some good looking outfits in there. The angler fly rod outfit http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/39110?page=angler-fly-rod-outfit&parentCategory=504968&cat4=2136&shop_method =pp&feat=2136-sub2&np=Y looks pretty good and is only $80. There is also a Quest II outfit for $99 http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/50620?page=quest-ii-two-piece-fly-rod-outfits&parentCategory=504969&cat4=2136&shop_metho d=pp&feat=2136-sub2&np=Y I am thinking about one of those in 5 wt. Too small for reds, but good enough to learn on and catch a trout or two. Any thoughts from those who know more than I do about these options?
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Any cheap outfit will be great to get you started. Focus on the warranty. Fly rods break easy, especially in the hands of newer users (and trunks, doors, branches, etc..). I would compare the LL Bean warranty versus the Cabela starter outfits. I know Cabelas is great about returns. Seems the cheaper Cabelas rods had a 2 year warranty. They will replace without question in that time frame. I know from experience. Perhaps comparing the warranties would be a good move. A 5 wt is a great choice. If you get into flyfishing (and you will) you can use that cheaper rod as a back up rod later and get a nicer 5 wt. There is great utility in having two rods of the same wt. Particularly on extended and/or remote fishing trips. I take 5-6 rods on my float trips. Having a spare is required at times. You could later add an 8 wt outfit and between the 5 wt and 8 wt systems, you would be in great shape for many species of fish. Spring is on it's way. Get your rod, Lefty Kreh "Flycasting" dvd, and get out and start practicing. You will have the hang of it in no time at all.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Take a look at this outfit from Cabelas on sale for $84. They have the 5 wt in 4 piece.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...430&hasJS=true

Thumbs up Looks Good to Me

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Take a look at this outfit from Cabelas on sale for $84. They have the 5 wt in 4 piece.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...430&hasJS=true

On Sunday, I ordered the 8 weight, four-piece version of this setup. Only thing missing is a rod case, but it should be fairly easy to find an inexpensive one somewhere.

Can't wait for it to get here. I needed a travel rod to take on four-wheeler trips out to my buddy's cabin this summer. Cabela's Wind River combo should be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post

Only thing missing is a rod case, but it should be fairly easy to find an inexpensive one somewhere.

25 bucks at Cabelas...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...026&hasJS=true