Thread: Encore 7mm-08 for Caribou?

Default Encore 7mm-08 for Caribou?

Hard to know if this question should be here or in the hunting forum. I may have a chance to visit my son this fall in AK. If plans come together for a Caribou hunt, my weapon will be the TC Encore Pro Hunter pistol in 7mm-08. My son has a choice of Remington 700 in 7mm Mag or Model 1895GS Guide gun in .45/70 so I am not to worried about bear backup.
    Since Caribou are considerable larger than the Eastern Whitetail my thoughts are to go with the 150gr bullet. So far I don't reload and haven't seen a heavier factory choice.
    Your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Encore_geek View Post
    Hard to know if this question should be here or in the hunting forum. I may have a chance to visit my son this fall in AK. If plans come together for a Caribou hunt, my weapon will be the TC Encore Pro Hunter pistol in 7mm-08. My son has a choice of Remington 700 in 7mm Mag or Model 1895GS Guide gun in .45/70 so I am not to worried about bear backup.
    Since Caribou are considerable larger than the Eastern Whitetail my thoughts are to go with the 150gr bullet. So far I don't reload and haven't seen a heavier factory choice.
    Your thoughts.
    No need to go bigger in that cal. Just do some shooting and find a good well made bullet that is accurate in your gun (barnes, accubon, partision). My cousins wife has killed a dozen or more caribou w/ a 243 and 100grn core lokt bullets. I would likely take my 270 w/ 130-140 grn bullets and my wife would go after them w/ a 150 grn bullet in her 308. Just do your part on sending the bullet home, caribou are not hard to kill.

No sweat if you shoot straight. While three bou don't add up to a comprehensive study, I've shot that many with the 7mm TCU and Sierra's single shot pistol bullet. Couldn't be happier with the performance. And your 7-08 offers even more whap. I would use standard factory loads with cup-and-core bullets rather than premiums, based on my experience with lots of game. The biggest failure with rifle bullets from handguns is failure to expand at the reduced velocities in short barrels. I penciled bullets through game repeatedly using standard Sierra, Speer and Hornady bullets past 100 yards in that &mm TCU, until Sierra finally came out with their single shot pistol bullet. Yeah, the 7-08 launches bullets faster, but still not fast enough for longer shots with premium bullets I bet. The lighter construction of standard bullets will be just about perfect.

The research I have been doing on-line says all the factory bullet velocities are measured out of a 24" barrel. I found a chart that said for 2500-3000 fps rounds you loose about 20 fps per inch of barrel.

So that 7mm-08 Federal 150gr that exits at 2650 fps will go out of my 15" Encore barrel at 180 fps less, about 2470 fps.

More than enough. I have a friend that has killed several caribou with a 7-30 Waters which is significantly slower.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

RMK

Default Caribou Guns

As was stated by LuJon, you don't need much for a Caribou. I've shot a lot of them over the past 40 years with a Savage .243.

I "neck shoot" only (at least that's the plan) and I've never had a problem. I have never wounded one and had it get away.

I picked up a nice little Winchester featherweight in .257 Roberts for my wife, and it also worked fine for Caribou. It's fairly light, and I had the stock cut down for her. I think the .257 is really designed for varmits, but it is plenty for Caribou.

If I'm on a combo moose/caribou hunt, I usually opt to carry my 7mm since it works better for moose.

Of course this may not be an issue for me for a long time now that the unit 13 caribou hunting has gotten so rare. I've been hunting unit 13 for 41 years, and I'm not sure I'll ever qualify for the new Tier I permit?