Thread: BOG reclassifies black bears statewide

Default BOG reclassifies black bears statewide

According to preliminary info coming out of BOG Statewide meeting, toward the end of the meeting the Board amended a proposal asking to allow the sale of black bear parts, reclassifying black bears as both fur animals and game animals statewide, and legalized the sale of hides, skulls, and claws statewide (but not galls) from black bears taken by those under a hunting or trapping license.

Again, this is preliminary, have to say I'm kinda surprised if it pans out as told to me by someone who was there last evening.

Board also (unanimously) voted down the Anchorage AC's proposal to ban non-res hunting in active predator control areas where game populations were low. KTUU has a story on that:
    http://www.ktuu.com/Global/story.asp?S=11917069

I will be surprised if it goes through as well regarding the black bear! It is not what I "wanted" but will serve the same end of what I was hoping for! I just didn't want to have to pay a big taxi bill to harvest black bear meat. If this goes through I will just drag it all out, eat the meat and sell the rest to recoup my expenses. In fact it will get "consumed" more completely than a moose in my houshold if this passes.

Wonder what the limit will be as a fur animal

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I will be surprised if it goes through as well regarding the black bear! It is not what I "wanted" but will serve the same end of what I was hoping for! I just didn't want to have to pay a big taxi bill to harvest black bear meat. If this goes through I will just drag it all out, eat the meat and sell the rest to recoup my expenses. In fact it will get "consumed" more completely than a moose in my houshold if this passes.
    that one comes up in Febuary here in fbk Jon... meat or hide issue.. as there will be times that the hide has no value... i think i got good support on it yesterday before i left
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default fur bearers!

Mark, this is good news for us bear hunters. Now I will be able to hunt them on my trapping license, so, that means, I'll be able to call them in and use a spot light, probobly same day airborne, put some on proxies, use snares and traps, run them down with a snogo, make a living doing it. I'm gonna be RICH!!

Well until we kill the last one anyway

The blackie population in this state is completely healthy. Plenty of room for more harvest. Bout time for this and hope to see legalized sale. Trapping season on bears with a bag limit is completely in line.
    Time for logic to enter bear management.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I was so enjoying retirement...........

Yup there is alot of bears in this state. Too many in some areas.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by saltwatertom View Post
    Mark, this is good news for us bear hunters. Now I will be able to hunt them on my trapping license, so, that means, I'll be able to call them in and use a spot light, probobly same day airborne, put some on proxies, use snares and traps, run them down with a snogo, make a living doing it. I'm gonna be RICH!!

Well until we kill the last one anyway
    unfortunatly.... i don't recall any discussion of BEAR TRAPPING season... was in line for the preditor managment units not the rest of the state..

will see what comes up of it.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here