Thread: Total Gear Weight for day hunt?

Default Total Gear Weight for day hunt?

I'm curious to know how much weight everyone carries for a day hunt for lets say Moose or Grizzly then returning to camp in the evening.

Weight of:
    -Day Pack w/gear inside
    -Clothing Wearing (Packed clothing can be added to day pack weight)
    -Firearm
    -etc.

and to get an idea of gear weight to body weight ratio maybe state your size/weight.

I always have the tendacy to overpack my day pack and it's not even close to being a big pack. I find I try to bring everything for the "just in case" scenerio. I like to walk a lot and I can hold my weight but I know it will eventually effect my hunt for those longer 10-14day hunts. Anyway, just curious to see how much weight the average hunter holds on a day hunt.

Paolo

I have always used 30/33 pounds as a daily weight estimate for an empty pack. Empty pack is one without game parts. Why would you carry a day pack...? Are being guided.....?

Wyoming Saw & extra blades
    three butchering knives
    three plastic trash bags
    2# sleeping bag
    spotting scope
    Tripod
    Camera
    Six Game bags
    First aid kit
    Fire starting kit
    road flare
    two pair of socks
    rope
    bungee cords
    rain gear
    Lunch + candy bars
    Binoculars
    aluminum cleaning rod
    Two space blankets
    compass
    maps
    pencil and paper
    water container
    Flashlight + extra batteries
    Gloves
    hat
    coat
    The pack & frame
    Ammo
    survey tape
    it all adds up

Am I being guided? Yes and No. I will be doing a guided trip but I'll also do unguided trips. Regardless of being guided or not, I always like to have a backpack on me to carry my rain gear, extra clothing in case of a chill or need to undress and store my clothing, etc...

I got some good excel hunting lists from the forum and will try to create something of my own.

Paolo

Default I like that list

I am rethinking my own pack now.
    about the only thing I might add is water and or a stove to melt snow, and or purify water.

Never weighed it. I carry an eberlestock day pack w/ my ~8 pound browning in it along w/ a camelback. Some snack food, an otis cleaning kit, perhaps an extra jacket or fleece and maybe a packable rain jacket. I don't carry full rain gear on day hunts, I just get wet it is only a day hunt. I just don't see much reason to weigh a pack that is under 40lbs.

I usually keep the following in my pack and depending on weather I may add or remove items. This is what I usually keep when the temperature is around the freezing mark. I haven't got around to weighing everything and I'm sure I missed a few items.

Backpack
    2lbs 4oz Back Pack
    ??? 10 Bullets in case
    ??? GPS
    4oz 4AA spare batteries
    1oz Scope cleaner/brush
    2oz Safety whistle/match holder
    3oz Fire Starter Fuel (3 pack)
    4oz 1/2 Roll toilet paper
    1oz Glow stick
    2oz Hot Feet/Hands (2 Pack)
    6oz Headlamp
    4oz Thin rope
    2lbs 8oz Insulating jacket/sweater rolled & mounted on top of pack
    2oz liner gloves
    4oz spare medium insulated gloves
    2oz UA face mask
    ??? Rain gear
    6oz Gerber folding knife
    ??? Knife sharpener
    1lbs 4oz Small Gerber Axe Or (???)Saw mounted on side of pack
    1lbs 6oz Food (Snacks, water bottle, etc.)
    ??? Safety Kit
    TOTAL Approx: 15lbs

Clothing
    6oz Insulated Winter Gloves
    3oz Insulated Hat
    4oz Wool Socks
    1lbs 0oz Base Layer Top/Bottom
    1lbs 4oz Sitka 90% Pants
    1lbs 0oz Sitka Celcius Vest
    1lbs 4oz Sitka 90% Jacket
    ??? Boots
    TOTAL Approx: 8-9lbs

Equipment
    8lbs 0oz Rifle w/scope
    1lbs 8oz Binoculars
    11oz Range finder
    1lbs 8oz Shooting Stick
    TOTAL Approx: 13lbs

I would say I usually carry Approx: 35lbs of gear including what I'm wearing. I'm about 160lbs. The only difference I might have next season is my new Eberlestock X2 backpack with the rifle holder and binocular case. As of right now i can't justify adding the extra 2-3lbs+/- from the eberlestock backpack for just day hunts where I return to camp. The only benefit is comfort, more storage so I can keep my insulated jacket/sweater dry in the pack, hands free with rifle holder and if I need to I can help carry the game meat (limited) in the pack. I agree comfort goes a long way but the added weight also adds up. My current day pack is a cheapie (not even waterproof) BUT it has served me well for 10+ years and it's fairly comfortable up to 15lbs and it's only 1000cu/in. Small enough to limit what I can take which in my case is usually a good thing. The minute I get a large pack I start bringing extra clothing, food, etc and it really adds up.

Paolo

Why the extra batteries? Put in fresh batteries when you leave home and forget about it. I never, ever carry extra batteries afield. That is unnecessary weight, in my opinion.

As for extra knives, I've also never needed that. That is especially true now that I have a Cutco hunting knife. I cleaned two caribou with my Cutco last year, and it was still very sharp. Before that, I just carried a folding Gerber and it did the job as well. That along with a havelon and I'm set. I don't carry a sharpener, either. Again, unnecessary weight.

I do a lot of day hunts- more than I want to in fact.

Generally I'm walking and usually not too far from camp or the truck- so I usually have a pack frame and heavy boots in the truck or camp should I have to haul one out. A downed animal means multiple trips so as long as I have game recovery (hauling) stuff in camp I don't worry so much about carrying it with me.

My daypack is about 10-12 pounds and my rifle is 7.25lbs
    Lunch and possibly my Jetboil.
    A few snacks.
    Binos
    5 rounds of ammo
    Water bottle
    TAG bags/ field dressing stuff
    Leatherman
    a skinner
    some paracord
    light rain jacket or down vest if I expect if to be chilly
    small first aid kit/ survival kit
    pair of light gloves
    small headlamp
    SPOT

I try really hard to keep my daypack light- schlepping a pile of stuff on a day hunt kinda defeats the purpose.

For one of my trips we will be walking anywhere from 3-9miles from camp, possibly further, really depends on where the game is and how adventurous we want to be. Our camp is being built as we speak. Approx. 20miles from their regular base camp. They are going to make some ATV trails from their regular base camp to the new camp and then from there it's on foot.

My annual Moose trip doesn't really require much gear at all since we drive to the destination from our camp and then walk maybe 1 or 2 miles or at least I do as I don't like sticking to ATV trails. I like going into areas only accessible by foot.

A future trip will be a Grizzly/Moose hunt in Alaska and maybe a 2nd for Caribou and Ram. Africa will also be in the near future to do list but that will require a totally different list.

I'm putting together an Excel spreadsheet with all my items and have had lots of great help from other members who posted their spreadsheets.

Paul

I carry this...
    • Enough food for lunch and dinner.
    • 2quarts water
    • My belt knife and Havalon knife
    • Rain gear top and bottom
    • dress appropriately for the day.
    • 2 lighters and magnesium fire starter.
    • game bags
    • compass and map of the area.
    • headlamp with fresh batteries
    • small GPS
    • machete
    • rainfly off of my old North Face tent (1 lb)
    • roll of 550 cord
    That's about it. For winter I throw in an extra fleece coat, spare gloves and warm hat.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

i'm doing all guided hunts so my pack is a bit heavier than most on day hunts, its usually closer to 50lbs. i'll try and run down what i've got.

Double the lunches
    sat phohe
    gps
    camera
    fixed blade knife and havalon and about a million blades
    game bag
    garbage bags
    sitting pad (ohh nice to have, just a cut up thermarest foam pad)
    rain gear
    extra coat
    spotter/tripod
    about 20 rounds of .416 ammo
    binos
    spare pack pins, headache pills
    water
    "magic juice mix" (won't leave home without it)
    maps/land use permits/hunt contracts/emergency contact numbers/guide lic.
    sun screan
    compass
    headlamp
    POSSIBLES BAG...matches/candle/batteries/extra havalon blades/first aid kit/surverys tape/emergency bivy bags

i'm sure i'm forgetting something, stuffs been in the same pocket for 6 years or so..but thats about it.
    Brian mentioned not bringing extra batteries...i've walked out in the dark and its took long enough that the batteries i did have...just about died. and when you need light and can't get it..it sucks. batteries are cheap insurance to help an already miserable hike out. or worse your buddies forgot his and his light dies..thenyou have to work double with your light and that makes it a all the tougher.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I don't do "Day Hunts". I have spent two unplanned nights, siwashed in alder thickets, at 32* alternating snow and rain, driven at 30 to 65 MPH. When I leave in the AM there is a 2# Bag and plastic or rain fly. You never know when you might get hurt, fall through the ice, the river that was crossed at 28" in the morning, is 5 feet of boiling He11 at 9:PM. A 35 pound pack is priceless peace of mind. And for the life of me I just don't get why hunters don't wear their pack frame every time they leave camp.

Jake, care to expound on the 'magic juice mix'?

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I don't do "Day Hunts". I have spent two unplanned nights, siwashed in alder thickets, at 32* alternating snow and rain, driven at 30 to 65 MPH. When I leave in the AM there is a 2# Bag and plastic or rain fly. You never know when you might get hurt, fall through the ice, the river that was crossed at 28" in the morning, is 5 feet of boiling He11 at 9:PM. A 35 pound pack is priceless peace of mind. And for the life of me I just don't get why hunters don't wear their pack frame every time they leave camp.
    I hear ya brother. I think anyone who has been afraid to go to sleep for fear of not waking up while spending an unexpected night out freezing to death feels the same way. My list is very similar to yours. I'm prepared to spend the night each and every time I leave camp.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I hear ya brother. I think anyone who has been afraid to go to sleep for fear of not waking up while spending an unexpected night out freezing to death feels the same way. My list is very similar to yours. I'm prepared to spend the night each and every time I leave camp.

Steve

That is reassuring...........I was beginning to think I was the only posy in the patch....

oh ya, my magic juice mix is Shaklee Performance drink mix, like gatoraid only better..its the only drink used by the the US SKI TEAM, stuff is amazing...you hear stuff about products and kinda think ya ok sure whatever. but dang...i carry a gallon ziploc bag full on every sheep hunt, thats like four or five lbs right there in just magic juice...but i'd sooner forget my bino's.
    oddly it was a client that started calling it magic juice...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Thanks, will have to try it out!