Thread: tire repair??

Question tire repair??

what do you all use for emergency or permanent repairs of atv tires? i'd like to add something to my tool kit for tire issues (should they occur)...

Thanks!

Just the standard plug kit. It contains glue and those rubber strips you slide into the hole. I only ever had to patch one and it held till I sold the atv.
    Tennessee

I'd second Snowwolfe's comment. Wallmart sells a cheap complete little kit (no glue, sticky strips, air up immediately). For the most part you won't find anyone to put a plug in a radial tire for liability reasons but for many years plugs were a quick, easy, generally good repair. As for ATV tires, it is usually plenty good for a long time. I have seen tires with 3 plugs in one hole work for a while. Definetly a small worth while kit to carry.

I carry a fairly large plug kit and a bicycle tire pump at all times.

I carry a plug kit and a small electric compressor. If that doesnt work Ill drive it out on the rims.

Lighter fluid and some matches. If you brake a bead you can reseat it by cleaning up the rim, squirt in some fluid, throw in a match and POOF! seated bead. This is how they did tractor tires on the farm in the old days. Probably still do. Or you can use a ratchet strap and a compressor but it doesn't always work. Depends on the tires you have.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Oh, I've lost a feweyebrow hairs doing it snyds way but I was using aceteline (sp) at work. Makes a cool fireball but it works to seat a bead.

Talking

Acetylene, now that's funny Blink. I'd love to see that, your nuts. lol

Default Starter Fluid

I've seen it done with starter fluid too. On big mud tires for a pickup. Jumped 6 feet into the air! Be careful.

I have a couple of the kits from cabela's (here) They work pretty well for just reparing and re-inflating, won't help to seat the bead. I like the compactness. It takes all three of the CO2 cartridges to get a decent amount of pressure in a large tire though.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Starting fluid is fun. Now though most of the stuff you buy is more of an oil based so it just burns (Had some pretty good fires in our tire room<grins>). My boss figured it was cheaper to buy me a cheatah beadseater than the insurance deductible whenever I do tires.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Blink View Post
    Oh, I've lost a feweyebrow hairs doing it snyds way but I was using aceteline (sp) at work. Makes a cool fireball but it works to seat a bead.
    I'l bet that made you blink....
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Talking Starter Fluid

I saw a tire repairman do the starter fluid thing one time with a 50 series car tire which is a very wide low profile tire. It jumped about 6 feet in the air and then the hot air escaping out the valve stem with no core in it just screamed. The tire actually inverted and shrink wrapped to the rim. He was used to doing big truck tires and over did it with the smaller tire. The fellow that was buying the tire just stood there and watched it. He paid for the tire too which I don't think I'd have done without really checking it out first.

Contact your dealer about filling with foam. It stiffens the ride abit but flats will be a thing of the past. I have 28" Mudlites on my POL 500 with solid foam inside. I have pulled out willow stubs and can see the foam inside. Anything short of the tire wearing out would not be a problem. With the tractor treads that my tires have, I don't see that happening any time soon.

I run green slim in all of my tires. I have never had a problem. It is not supposed to rust the rim like fix-a-flat will.