Thread: New to boating in Alaska

Default New to boating in Alaska

Hello all,

I'm looking for a boat that will navigate the Deshka mainly. I want to get one that will get me there, up to the good holes, and back down. Not looking for something to run super skinny water or anything, just something to get a little experience in and be able to take the family out. I was looking at a little 17' semi-V with a 115 HP jet on it and thought it would probably do the trick. When I was up here for the summer in 2002 my buddy took me up there several times in a flat bottom jon with a 50 HP jet. Would the 17' semi-V be able to get to the same places on the deshka that the jon could? I know later in the year I remember there are some rocks and such and the navigation gets trickier, but could the semi-V still make it to the good holes all season?

Thanks for all the help on this site, it really is great!

how far up you wanting to go?...you should be able to make it up to the closed fishing sign most of the time with most any jet boat....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

A few years back I had a 17' Aumaweld Stryker semi V with a 90 hp jet. Took it up the Deshka 8-10 times. Got up close to the weir a couple times but never tried to get up further. Their are a couple decisions to be made around a couple islands. My first trip I did a classic "display my boat on a sand bar" maneuver. Be sure to have a good file or an extra impeller. After the first trip it is a pretty easy run.

I take my 14 foot semi-v Hewes with a 20 hp jet all the time over that way. As others have noted, it is always pretty easy to beach the boat, but that happens on any river. With my little boat it is never a big deal....It seems to be a lucky boat as it always seems to catch fish. A lot of guys invest a lot more money to go river fishing, but mine gets me there just fine. I think the boat you selected would work just fine.

TR Bauer,

Sorry for the hyjack but what boat do you have and how's it been working for you? I have a 40hp Etec I just got and was looking for something to put it on. The plan is to eventually get a jet to run rivers for hunting and fishing.

I figure the lighter the better and was even thinking riveted. Any suggestions.

Default 17' to 20' will do

For this -- bigger is better when can afford it. A 17' to 20' with a 115ph (prop) 80 jet will work well for you. I have had my 115/80 Yamaha jet about 27 miles up the Deshka... picked many a rocks out of my jet but you can do it.

Since you say your new to it, my preferred boat would be a 18' or 20' Sea Ark with a tunnel and the 115/80 Yamaha jet. It'll do what ever you'll want to do in my opinion.

But the best advice -- besides the boat of your choice, pay someone to take you up the deshka. The money will be well spent... trust me. Depending on the water level, past the weir, watch very close going through rock island... Big, Big, BIG rocks with lots of shiny tops on them....

But several miles up the Deshka is awesome, both for fishing and the tranquility. Just an awesome area when the water level allows.

Good luck.

Tony
    Tony

Thanks for all the replies guys. I've been up the deshka probably 10 times (passenger, never navigating), but that was back in the summer of 2002 so I don't think I would remember all the specific landmarks of the river. I just moved up here permanently last June and tried fishing without a boat (i.e. eklutna ratrace, willow creek, cottonwood creek etc) the last couple months of the season and would just like to get to better fishing this summer. In 2002 I went up past the weir several times and I don't remember exactly where the fishing boundary sign is, but I am mainly looking to fish in the boat so it really only needs to get me to the fish

One more question, if you're buying a used jet boat out here in the winter time, what options do you have for verifying that the boat is in good condition other than visual inspection? Would it be worth the $99 to take it to south port marina to have them inspect it?

Default get it looked at

learned this one the hard way. Bought a jetcraft off the outdoors forum here in 2004 in March. My limited knowledge and the fact the guy was a liar ended up costing me an extra $3000. You need to run the motor for an extended period, test compression, etc. I would recommend J Kimberly Service in ANC. O yeah called the guy a couple times and even went by his house to no avail. But Karma is a "" so i'm sure he has gotten his some way or another