Thread: Walrus Mount

Default Walrus Mount

I recently purchased a Walrus mask at an estate sale, I'm looking for ideas on how to mount it. I would like to find a piece of wood with a burl that is large enough to cut length ways about an inch thick with the round part of the burl under the skull and the tusk over the trunk part of the tree. I want to coat the wood in bar topper. Something like this piece I used for my caribou, only a single burl. If anyone knows where I could find a piece like this please PM me the info.

The Ivory measures 31x8 and 30 3/4x8 and the total weight is 24lbs, they are beautifully carved and signed by the artist.

Nice Caribou mount.. A+ for the idea
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Thumbs up Sweet

Sweet find, I'm sure you will make it a true show piece.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I was lucky enough to find a bull walrus washed up on the beach, and I harvested the mask and oosik and then registered/sealed the tusks with F&G. I had also found a burl up high on the beach earlier in the year, and I'd cut it into slabs with a chainsaw. I mounted the mask on the burl as shown in the pictures. It's the first mount on a burl that I'd done, and in mounts I done since then, I dress up the wood more. This one is nice, but not particularly showy. However, both the mask and wood have good memories attached to them.

My mask has a bit more skull because I cut the skull in half at the narrow point between the rear lobe and front lobe. As such, you can see I have some more material and angles to work with. I mounted the skull using four long wood screws running through the mask into the wood. From the looks of your mask, I don't think you can do that without making the screws quite visible and detract from the look of the mask.

Not seeing what you have to work with on the back of the mask, it's hard to suggest another option.

Here's a couple pictures of what I did.

Walrus_Mask 001.jpg

Walrus_Mask 002.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by HuntKodiak View Post
    I was lucky enough to find a bull walrus washed up on the beach, and I harvested the mask and oosik and then registered/sealed the tusks with F&G. I had also found a burl up high on the beach earlier in the year, and I'd cut it into slabs with a chainsaw. I mounted the mask on the burl as shown in the pictures. It's the first mount on a burl that I'd done, and in mounts I done since then, I dress up the wood more. This one is nice, but not particularly showy. However, both the mask and wood have good memories attached to them.

My mask has a bit more skull because I cut the skull in half at the narrow point between the rear lobe and front lobe. As such, you can see I have some more material and angles to work with. I mounted the skull using four long wood screws running through the mask into the wood. From the looks of your mask, I don't think you can do that without making the screws quite visible and detract from the look of the mask.

Not seeing what you have to work with on the back of the mask, it's hard to suggest another option.

Here's a couple pictures of what I did.

Walrus_Mask 001.jpg

Walrus_Mask 002.jpg
    Very nice indeed, the sea provided you with quite a find!!!!
    Thanks for taking the time to share
    Steve