Thread: Brooks Range Sheep Gear

Default Brooks Range Sheep Gear

I had someone ask me about the Barney's clothing system for an August Brooks Range sheep hunt. Just an FYI as I thought some of you might be interested:

Sitka makes good gear, but I think some of their garmets are so/so. I like merino wool base layers......as long as you don't have a wool sensitivity. -33 makes top quality wool briefs, tops, and bottoms.

For pants I like 2 on a hunt. Part for backup and part for versitility with weather and physical output. The two warm/cold weather pants I like are the Sporthill SP3 and the Mammut Champ. For sheep/mountain hunting I would give the nod to the Champ due to it's durability. It was designed for mountain climbing. For the cool/warm weather pant you have the Sitka Accent and the Westcomb Syncro. I would give the nod to the Syncro. It is a ridiculously tough pant, near waterproof, comfortable, stain resistant, light weight, and breathable.

For a mid layer top I would pick the Sporthill Infusion (I think that's the name, there are two and I can't remember). It's a top designed for X-country skiers. It has SP3 fabric on the front which is extremely fast drying, wind resistant, and warm. On the back there is a lighter weight synthetic blend. It allows for breathing when back packing.

For outer insulated look no further than Barney's own Brook's Range coat with hood and pant. It's made for us by Integral Design from primaloft sport and purtex endurance. Very light, very warm, and very compactable.

For rain gear you have your choice. Helly Hanson is cheap and bomb proof, but low tech and sweaty. Sitka 2 layer stormfront light should be avoided. The seems are pathetic. The 3 layer is spendy, but very good. Otte gear makes a 3 layer rain suite that is spendy, but less than the Sitka 3 layer. It is a roomier cut, has more generous shoulder space, and a recessed hood. Mountain Hardwear makes a precep coat that is middle of the road in price and the lightest, but not bomb proof.

Marmot makes a wonderful light weight and HIGHLY affective wind breaker. It also can act as a lubricant between layers.

I like the Sporthill beanies. Outdoor Research makes very nice gloves. Darn Tough makes excellent marino wool socks. Bridgedales make great liners.

I don't claim this to be the be all end all, but it's a great start for anyone looking for the right gear.

Brett

Default Here's what I'm going with

Made a few changes for this year, but mostly stayed with the same stuff on all my sheep hunts: I have a pair of Mammut Champs but these Arcteryx are just much more comfortable, and a little more functional to me.

Arteryx Gamma Pants
    Patagonia capilene thermal pants
    "Darn Tough" wool socks ( these impressed me last year! only need 1 pr)
    Xgo base layer shirt (new this year)
    Sporthill Fusion shirt (new this year)
    Sitka Celsius jacket
    Sitka Nimbus rain jacket
    REI gloves
    Scarpa "Omegas" pebax mountaineering boots (new this year)
    Sitka beanie/ and O.R. seattle sombrero (for heavy rain)
    Last edited by kahahawai; 02-02-2010 at 13:05. Reason: spelling

Default what version of arcteryx pants

kahahawai,

what version of the arcteryx gamma pants are you wearing? when i look on their website there are 5 or 6 versions of the gamma pant(AR,LT,MX,SV,SK). do you use your gamma pants as a wind shear layer as well? i assume that would be your setup if you were to hunt the brooks in early august? do you use an outer down layer, like brett suggests? thanks for your help.

Default Arcteryx Gamma Pants

I will have to look and see what type they are online because I looked at the two pairs I have and it doesn't specify. It does have a thin layer of polartec inside of it, has a built in belt, and two side cargo pockets with velcro and the two front pockets that have zippers on them, No pockets on the back. They are very strong and sturdy, however the outer material is real similar to the schoeller material used in the Mammuts, and water just beads of of them (so no need for rain pants) they are expensive (IMO) at regular price but I got one pair in 2006 and the other in 2007 at Beaver Sports at their end of Winter season super sale at 50% off (I have a brown and black pair). I used them for my last two sheep hunts, 1 goat hunt, and several times for Alpine skiing. I had to do a shale slide this past year sheep hunting and there are no holes in them.

Default Arcteryx Gamma pants

Sdr hunter,

Check out my profile pics, the brown pair I wore this year looks like it took a beating, and blood stained, but after a good washing in cold water they look like new. The picture should give you an idea what type Gamma pant they are. You might know more about them than I do, I just know that they are pretty good for what I do.

I usually wear the patagonia capilene thermal under them "IF" it gets real cold, other than that, it stays in the pack.

Lightbulb

I have most of the Stuff From Barney's Frontier Gear line. It is great stuff. The Koflack socks I bought there, did not hold up. But, I do like the Bridgedale, or Smartwool Lt. Hikers.

I have the original Sporthill 3SP, Black without the fly and have used them many times. Very windproof and comfortable. But, a seam eventually blew out. I now use and prefer Mammut Champ pants with the Mammut suspenders, much more durable and water resistant than the 3SP's. My Champ pants are black, the Gray would be ideal for blending in with the rocks. I also have the Arc Teryx Combat pants and think they too would work well, for this application.

Patagonia Capilene Lt. Wt zippered top and botttom, with 1 H.H. Medium
    Wt. zippered top to change into something dry and warm once at the top glassing, while the Patagonia sits on a rock, or bush drying out from the climb up.

Base Layer: T.N.F. 100 Wt. Fleece, or Arc Teryx RHO zippered shirt

Raingear: H.H. Impertech 2 Camo

Outerwear/shell: Brook's Range Jacket w/ hood. Lightweight and can handle any cold, or high winds. Like toast.

Jacket: Sitka Gear 90 Degree Jacket, or M.H. Windstopper Tech Jacket 1lb. 5 oz with pit zips, love it.

Gloves: OR Vert, or Storm Tracker

Boots: (German, not Cabela's version) Meindl Canada Pro.

Hats: OR Windpro in Coyote and H.H. LIFA to sleep in.

Pack: Barney's Frontier Gear, Pinnacle pack, Kevlar

Choose carefully what you will wear and pare it down as much as you can. The less weight you have to carry, the happier you will be on the Mtn. You will find that you will find something that works for you and you will wear it, even though you had something else that serves the same purpose. On the Mtn., there is no clean and dirty clothes, just wet and dry clothes. Be safe, be warm, be comfortable. MHO

Q: Brett, do you work for Barney's ? When will the web site be finished ?

After a few years of backpacking I've finally parred my backpacking clothing down to very little.

I find that if hiking I really only need my base layer top and columbia fish pants or the light as they dry fast and are lightweight and breathable. With this as long as I'm hiking I'm good down to 40 degrees or less. Down to 30 degrees or so I just throw on my windproof fleece vest.

After that when I stop at temps in the 40s lower or sometimes higher depending on the wind, in order to glass or whatever, I find that puffy high loft insulating garment have a much higher warmth to weight than jackets like my Sitka celisus and the like. I personally like synthetic insulation for AK purposes and prefer the lightweight Barney's Supercub jacket over the brook range as the brooks range jacket just seems a little over kills for my August/September backpacking packing hunts. If I can't keep warm with my vest, merino wool baselayer, and Supercub jacket I probably need to get hiking.

Also I have the Mountain Hardwear Compressor pants as well to really keep me warm on the windy ridge lines glassing. I have found that the Supercub jacket will keep me much warmer when needed than a Sikta 90% or Celisus jacket as I have had both of those and are less than impressed when compared to high loft jackets. Another good inexpensive option for a good insulated jacket is the Cableas Insulator Jacket at 1/4 the price of the Supercub, but its not windproof however warm in its own right. Plus the high loft insulation garments compress much smaller than their fleece/wool counterparts.

Brett you gotta pretty good list going there. The key is for folks to get out and find out what works best for their uses and hunting styles and body type. No real right or wrong gear for what you hunt with if it works for you. What keeps one guys warm at a certain temp another might find himself freezing.

this is great information. thanks to everyone contributing. shane.

Quote Originally Posted by cold zero View Post
    Q: Brett, do you work for Barney's ? When will the web site be finished ?
    On rare occasion yes. I'm biding my time for hunting season. People walk in looking for ski gear this time of year and my response is "Sorry I'm the fly by night ski guy!" No idea about the website?????

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Brett you gotta pretty good list going there.
    You bet. I'm trying to not mess around and buy right the first time. Cheaper that way in the long run and I'm core comfortable/functional!

Brett

For mid/late August trips for sheep I like the Sitka Mountain pant and shirt or their Core Crew shirt, all in Mountain Mimicry camo.

For the later hunts I like the 90% pants and jacket paired with the Core Crew should the temps drop some.

For rain gear I like the HH Impertech, works great as a windbreker as well when sitting on those high ridgetops glassing for sheep.

I don't like poofy jackets no matter how light or stowable they are so the Sitka Celsius jacket gets the nod over poofy.

For gloves, I like the OR windproof gloves and for colder temps I like a fleece glove which I use to get at Costco but they no longer carry them.

Hats, I prefer ball caps and those with the ear flaps.

I do not use a base layer unless it is really cold out, then I use my old standby poly pro bottoms and tops. I plan on trying the Smartwool stuff soon.

For boots I really like my Lowa Sheep Hunters which I clean and waterproof before each hunting season.