Thread: new Flambeau decoys

Default new Flambeau decoys

Other topics are all but dead so on a good note I wrote flambeau and told them that I was very disappointed in there new decoy paint because it stated chipping off as I was taking then out of the box. Well they wrote me back today and they are redoing their paint and decoy style. They say they made a very durable paint and the decoys are in 4 different positions. They only talked about mallards and geese so maybe next year for other ducks. Just thougt other people would like to know before they bought new.

It seems like a lot of decoys are like that these days. GHG decoy paint is easily scratched, Foiles Migrators, Flambeau, Carry-light, tangle free. The only decoy company I have found that has durable paint are the G and H decoys. But on the plus side, the decoy companies are making more and more realistic looking decoys, with different head positions, feeding positions, and resting positions.

Hopefully they all realize that not everybody uses slotted decoy bags and decoy socks to keep them from scratching.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

The slotted bags won't save your Green Head Gear decoys from chipping. They chip just from the abrasion that they recieve in the bag and getting jostled around while loading and unloading the bag from the boat. I've hunted over some of the new progrades that were purchased this year and only been stored in slotted bags and even they have some "scarring" on them. Just get some paint and touch them up each season.

The G&H are by far the most durable of any of the decoy brands out there. I have some mallards, pintails, and gadwall that are 10 years old and older. They still look great. I will admit though that the GHG are by far more anatomically correct and certain species have much more realistic colors.

My dad has some G&H decoys that are probaly close to 16 years old, and they still have the original paint on them. They make some very durable decoys.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I like the look of the GHG decoys but the paint goes bad real fast.

It looks like we have reached the era of disposable decoys. They are cheap enough to toss in a dumpster every few years.

As cheap as they are made and sold, replacing them every few years might be the most cost-effective way to maintain a good looking spread.

Quote Originally Posted by Ring King View Post
    The slotted bags won't save your Green Head Gear decoys from chipping. They chip just from the abrasion that they recieve in the bag and getting jostled around while loading and unloading the bag from the boat.
    Agree 100%.
    Mine have taken a beating and it's something I'm totally unaware of until end of season.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK