Thread: Ermin Smell Help

Default Ermin Smell Help

Ok skinned Ermin, smelled well bad, any hints on how to get stink off my hands, used gloves hands still smell washed hands with everything (soap, bleach powder, Windex, whatever else was under sink...). Hands now smell like lemony Ermin (still bad with hint of lemon).

CLR?

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Supporting Member

Default Ermine-smell remover

You might try tomato juice or (and I know you'll think I'm pulling your leg, but I'm not) Massengale (sp?) ******.

Default try

Toothpaste .....

Soaked them in mouth wash, worked very well.

Interesting, good tip. I have 3 ermine in the freezer that need attention, but smell so musky.

Those glands that smell so bad are around the arse. Be extra careful there.

Yep those are the glands I cut, with an animal that small hard not to I guess. I'm I strong stomach guy and never thought I would loose my lunch but the smell was bad enough I was breaking into a cold sweat on my forehead. If you had a gallon of urine and boiled it down to about an oz and burnt it on the stove that is what I imagine the smell to be, with a light skunk dusting. But the mouth wash did work good on the smell.

...Oh!
    -yes, that's ripe.......

-we always try to cut an extra-wide semi-circle around the backside...-it inevitably happens, though.....

-glad you got the smell off....-I'll have to try the mouthwash idea, when it happens...

Skin them through the mouth not the rear like many do marten and you will avoid a lot of the stink. DO the same with mink it takes some getting use to and a very sharp knife or scalpel but is worth the time to figure it out and save yourself the agony when you hit the glands. By skinning this way you pull the hide away from the glands just make sure you are careful with the tails
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Default God, I feel for you

I made the mistake of cutting into one and also a mink years ago. When I pierced the ermine's glands, I made it all of ten feet before losing my lunch. And I thought I was a fast runner too. I have been scented by skunks but nothing beats ermine and all Mink families for that matter, when it comes to it's glands.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by otterman View Post
    Skin them through the mouth not the rear like many do marten and you will avoid a lot of the stink. DO the same with mink it takes some getting use to and a very sharp knife or scalpel but is worth the time to figure it out and save yourself the agony when you hit the glands. By skinning this way you pull the hide away from the glands just make sure you are careful with the tails
    ....now, THAT is a good idea!
    -I shared this info with my guy....
    -the look on his face was ..."now, why didn't I think of that?!"

-thanks, Otterman...-this is a really good tip-