Thread: Kenai Hiking trails

Default Kenai Hiking trails

Was looking to do some hiking this summer down around the kenai area, also by skilak lake. I was wondering what some good trails were to hike? Wildlife is always a plus.
    Thanks,
    Trout

Ptarmigan Lake trail is really nice, beautiful scenery and good chance to see sheep and bears.

Johnson Pass is great, multi-day hike. Take a rod and reel for Johnson Lake and Bench Lake.

Crescent Lake is good, the Upper Russian, etc...

Recommend getting "50 Ways Into the Wilderness" for good reports on trails in Southcentral if you aren't familiar with these areas. Lots of great hikes in there.
    http://www.cookinlet.com/NASApp/stor...sbn=0898863899

Default Thanks

I'll look into those trails and for sure try them out. That book looks pretty good also..Thanks for the info

Default Kenai Trails

The Fuller Lake Trail is a great work out. The Hidden Creek and Kenai River Trails on the Lower part of the Skilak Lake Loop road are also adventurous. There are also some great hikes to some lakes on the Swanson River and Swan Lake Road system.

Default Wildlife Pop

Hows the wildlife back in fuller lakes? You see much?

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Not much wildlife on the way up there but once up to the lake and beyond you have an oportunity to see Sheep, Goat, Moose, Bear (both types), and Beaver.

Try Kachemak Bay State Park, across the bay from Homer. They have Miles of trails. Goats, Black Bears, and eagles (of course).