Thread: 2 Willows and 3 Rocks

Smile 2 Willows and 3 Rocks

Definately earned these beautiful ptarmigan. Steep ascents and soft drifts made the effort difficult. I jumped the 2 willow ptarmigan about 25 yards ahead of me on at least a 50* slope and made perfect shots. Had it not been for the brush, they would have rolled right past me, down the mountain face. Being content with 2 birds, I finished the ascent and took a snoozer on the rock face, up top.

After coming to my senses and getting a little rosey on the face, I snuck along the wind blown tundra and found 3 precious rock ptarmigan in their snow beds. I was happy to have harvested them too. Good thing I sighted in the trusty .22 Mag last week as all I had was a head exposed on one of them. The 40 yard shot distance, the abundant sunshine, no wind, solo on top, made taking those rockies memorable. I don't get many perfectly white birds as they're always hanging much higher than the willow ptarmies.

It looks like ptarmy chili tomorrow. I love AK.
    Attached Images Attached Images

effort pays off, great read..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Congratulations, sounds like you had a great day. Gotta love the 22 mag.

Default Congratulations...

Some people don't understand how beautiful this great state can be in winter. Great hunt, post and photo!

Was the snow pretty soft/deep? Those flotation tails make a big difference?

Thanks.

What rifle/scope is that? Maybe you need some mounts like Burke had done!

Default conditions and gun...

The snow conditions were perfect on top (wind blown) and tough on the North facing slopes (soft and deep). The South facing slopes were full of snow, but it was possible ot walk on top of the hard crust (even with my fat 180 lb butt).

The rifle I like to use is a cheap-o .22 Mag Marlin. I use hard cast bullets (I think they're like FMJ's or something) and they seem to zip in and out of birds with very minimall meat damage/loss. I tried using some TNT rounds, but if I shot a bird in the body with one of those, I regretted it once I walked up on that unfortunate loss.

By the way, the ptarmy chili was outstanding!