Thread: Holster ideas for Ruger Single six

Default Holster ideas for Ruger Single six

Just got a Ruger Single Six w/6" barrel (.22LR and WMR) and wonder if you guys have a "Best" way of carrying in the field? have along for bunnies etc. Seems with longer barrel it may be a bit awkward in woods?

What works best, Holsters avail in Anch before I go home??

Also if hunting Predators, would you get a pair of sticks to make a good shot? especially if calling from a stand?

I know I'm going gearhead crazy but I know I'll see a beauty of a Fox my first time out or something.

Brand New to handgun hunting, fairly accomplished at the range.

If I'm calling fox I'm usually sitting, so I just rest across my knees.

As for holsters, the sky is kinda the limit. If you'd like to try making your own belt holster, Tandy has introduced some great kits this year. No experience required to do a nice job, and the folks at the Tandy store there in Anchorage will give you great advice. The western versions are plain rather than tooled like the ones in the photos, which is fine with me. Building your own is a great project and the price is right.

All I use is a belt holster in cross draw and they do fine even with an 8Ē barrel. Sixgun holsters are not that hard to find at about any shop but I make my own off my own patterns taken from the gun. If you make your own Tandy has kits that are very easy . . . or here is what I do and itís not that hard ether.

>Lay the gun on the leather and trace the trigger side with about 1/2" margin.
    >Roll the gun over the sights without letting it slip and trace the trigger side agene.
    >Cut the pattern out at or just outside your line leveling extra on top and bottom.
    >Fold it over and spring clamps it so you can see where you want the belt loop. I like cross draw as high as I can and canted forward some but make it like you like.
    >Sew and/or rivet the belt loop on.
    >Fold it over and glue the seam then clamp it to dry.
    >Cut the top and bottom like you want it to be.
    >Scribe a line where you want the sewing to go and punch your holes.
    >Sew the seam up.
    >Damp the leather good by wetting it and put it in a plastic bag for an hour or so.
    >While the leather is in the bag oil and plastic wrap the gun so the damp leather wonít rust it.
    >Work the gun into the holster to shape fit it like you want and let dry.
    >Clean up all the rough edges with sand paper and oil or stain it to your liking.

I use a little finish nail in a drill to poke the holes from the front side keeping the angle constant and with a board on the back side to drill into. I donít use the cheap linen thread, I like poly or nylon because it wonít rot. I like to sew with a sewing all and do a lock stitch but with two cheap needles you can do a saddle stitch. You donít need many special tools to do good work but for rivets and snaps you will be ahead to get the proper tools.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Excellent explanation, Andy! Only thing I'd add is to specify 4-5 oz vegetable tanned leather at a minimum, and if you want a stiffer holster, go for 6 oz.

And I'll point out, even though you already know it, the same procedure is great for knife sheaths.

What Andy and BrownBear said. For first time its nice haveing a Tandy kit and when you see how easy it is you will be makeing them for Christmas presents.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    ...and when you see how easy it is you will be makeing them for Christmas presents.
    Aint that the truth!!!

Before Christmas our daughter asked: "And what are you making out of leather this year?"

Yup great gifts! When my Dad died my siblings ware all wanting the leather I made him so I was able to horse trade for more of the guns. I felt vindicated because I had thought I had flooded the family market for leather goods, guess not and I'm good to go for some more years.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona