Thread: running in april...fan or liquid?

Default running in april...fan or liquid?

if your doing some riding in the back country in mid april, temps warming up, which sled would you rather be on and why? a liquid powerhouse or a 550 fan?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I would trade my V-800 liquid cooled engine in a flash for a 550 Fan.

In April, it's still winter in most places. The snow could be light and powdery or wett and granular, or the worst...crust over sugar. But as long as there's snow...liquid cooled sled. Then air temp is irrelevant, besides blowdryer powered sleds just don't have the grunt.

If you're talking early bears Jake then you're going to the hills/mountains which means a long(er) track sled and the powerband to push it.

That only comes in a liquid cooled package.

ya thats kinda what i'm getting at..lookin' at a 144" with 2" lugs behind an 800, with maybe a seatbelt...
    Master guide 212

Have run both types (550 fan/ 440fan/600 liquid/700 liquid). Would have to say that liquid wins. If you are getting to hot its easier to cool the liquid back down. Fans, once they get hot you have to wait quite a while for them to cool back down. Just bought a 600 144" and think this will be the perfect spring hunting sled. Not too much power but plenty to hot rod and still be able to tow all the camping gear. Biggest thing with spring running is keeping the Hi fax cool. Either type of machine can obviously be affected so may want to invest in a set of ice scratchers. They will also help in the cooling of the machine if you end up with a liquid variety.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    ya thats kinda what i'm getting at..lookin' at a 144" with 2" lugs behind an 800, with maybe a seatbelt...
    If that 800 says Polaris on it and it's an 02-05 make sure it's had the crank work done, unless you already own it then be warned that motor was notorious for main crank bearing failures* around 1,800 to 2,300 miles.

* If the sled is stock than the failure rate drops significantly.

the sled says polaris on the side and its an '01 with 3100 miles and no failures..figured i'd have to pop it open and do some preventative maintaince on it first...its cheap and might be a good place to start.

hyfax...scratchers. good thinking. other spring hunts i've done we just had bolts ran thru the back of the skis, kinda accomplished the same thing, we ran alot on just flat ice.
    Master guide 212

01 800 should be fine. I think you have the right idea about inspecting the top end though. As with any used sled it could have been easy miles or hard miles but should be pretty easy to tell which. We have used the bolts before on widetracks hauling freight in the spring but one problem we found is it hanging up on tree roots. Plus we were using polaris's and their coolers are under the footwells so it kept the machine cool where ice scratchers wouldn't have done much. Good luck on the purchase though.

I got an 01 RMK 800 with 151" track and about the only time it overheats is if I'm pulling a heavy sled on a packed trail. I think it just does that because it doesn't like being treated like a truck!

The coolant is running through a pipe molded into each foot rest. You can pack snow on them to cool it off pretty quick in a pinch. Scratchers work well too.

thanks for all the insight guys, stuff i woulda never know. thanks
    Master guide 212