Thread: curious

Default curious

Just wondering what are the prices that some of you are getting for different furs now a days? Not looking to getting into it or make and kind of living all though I know some of you die hards are. My hats off to you.

Fur prices are way down in my area according to all the buyers I have talked to so far. I have not sold any fur yet so can not give exact prices yet. Buyers are looking for fur prices to rise because of bad weather and low fur prices starting out. A lot of people are not trapping here this year.

Unless you live somewhere in the state where there are an abundance of animals and very little pressure you don't make much at all. You'll be lucky if you break even.

I can speak for myself, I trap because its something I enjoy...
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

The biggest thing that those of us living off what we take is finding other markets ie: taxidermy, sewing, or making other things from the fur. Selling on today's market especially with the economy it would be very hard to make a decent living. Living where there is a wide variety and abundance of fur with little trapping pressure does help .
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Default Prices

I was told 90 - 100 for lynx and 35 -50 for marten and buyers are being very picky.

Supporting Member

Default Fur prices

Muskrat is supposed to be the big surprise seller this March. Last NAFA sale saw the averages pushing upward and the best quality, largest pelts sold at $9. With ranch mink prices on the increase, it tends to drag muskrat prices up. The other expected high point for trappers will be beaver castor, due to a short harvest and low demand for beaver this year. Like OtterMan said, think outside the box and look for other non-traditional markets.

Default couple of others

What are you getting for a average wolf and fox? Thanks for some of the other responses. I do see where if has become more of a hobby than a livelyhood. Glad to see that there are still men willing to carry on the tradition and my hats off to you. Its a shame that the effort isn't rewarded the way it use to be especially for the younger generations.

As I stated I don't personally sell any fur on the market anymore it all get given to my wife and she sews it up hats, mittens slippers whatever hits her fancy. But to answer or help answer your question tboehm my nephew just sold a couple xtra lrg fox for $35 I was quite surprised as that is not what they are suppose to be bringing from what I have read $25 is going to be the average this year. He does do a remarkable job putting up his fur and it shows when he sells. As far as wolves very few sell wolves on the raw market most do better selling to taxis and tourist. So coming up with an average is rather hard. I know what our sewn value of a wolf hide is and lets just say it only takes one large one to cover the bulk of my gas bill with a line that was only partialy checked today on snowmachine and I still did 120 miles and gas here is running me a bit over $5.25 a gal
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Supporting Member

Default Averages

TBOEHM,
    I average $75 for a tanned red or cross fox and $125 for a nice silver. Wolf prices (green - untanned) will vary by color, with good grays averaging $400, blacks at $500 and whites $600 plus. Once in a great while you even see a "blue" color wolf and then it usually goes to a taxidermist for a premium price.