Thread: Best sky crate cover

Default Best sky crate cover

I am tired of wrapping moving blankets around my sky crates to keep the dogs comfortable. Who makes the best INSULATED sky crate cover that you have used? What did you like about it, and what do you dislike about it? Were they water proof?
    I don't care about pockets, camoflage, or frills. I simply care about keeping labs comfortable in the back of a truck with a shell in sub zero temps, or in an open snow mobile sled when on occasion I have a dog that needs to be contained but kept warm for long trips.
    Also, on the same note about dog comfort and safety, what do you use for bedding in the crate? Again, think about dry winter and a dog that has been wet in exteme conditions. Have you tried any factory made beds that worked?
    Ok, one more. What about an insulated jacket for the dog? Not a float coat, but one that he/she could wear at night while camping, or even in the crate on cold days.
    As often as not my dogs get the back seat of my F-150. But there are times when they have to get in back. Especially after a long hard day I want them to be comfortable.
    What products have you found to be useful?

I have a Mud River kennel cover it is really nice, it does have some of the frills but it is insulated durable and I get a ton of complements on it. I got mine at Sportsman's Warehouse, they are around $100 depending on the size of the kennel.

As far as a dog jacket, my hunting dogs wear an Avery boaters dog parka, it is made of neoprene, it seems to do the trick in cold water, plus it has a handle on it for lifting a dog into a boat or up in the bed of a truck, it makes it nice for older dogs. It is also available at Sportsmans.

I have a Mud River kennel cover it is really nice, it does have some of the frills but it is insulated durable and I get a ton of complements on it. I got mine at Sportsman's Warehouse, they are around $100 depending on the size of the kennel.
    Ditto: Rugged, water repels of it, has handles on top for easier moving and d-rings for tie downs.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

Default I've got neopene coats

I think they are pretty tight on the dogs, and not sure I want to leave them on overnight in a camping situation or have the dogs wear them at -10 in back of the truck. Would be better than nothing, but I think I am looking at a horse blanket type of affair.
    My buddy has one his Chessie uses at duck camp when it is cold at night. He dresses her for bed, and she'll go make a nest and curl up comfy for the night. It is cordura/nylon and has some sort of fleece inside.
    Yeah, I know, I spoil the dogs. But I do expect them to work hard for their keep, thus having a comfortable dog makes sense.
    Now that I think of it I wonder if AK Tent and Tarp has made any of the Crate Covers?

Now that I think of it I wonder if AK Tent and Tarp has made any of the Crate Covers?
    Too funny I thought the same thing yesterday as I was reading you original post. Get the dimensions of your crate and im sure they could make something for you, if you wanted to go that route.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

Default Sportsmans

I got mine at Sportsmans Warehouse...cant remember the brand but I am sure it is the same as the others mentioned here.
    I works fine. My only problem is that they dont carry a small one. I have two, one medium and I had a friend with a sewing machine alter one to fit my small dog's box. She did a great job.You can hardly tell it from the other one.
    A little straw and that cover and they are pretty cozy. They have zippered windows which I have had to open on numerous occasions because they are so warm in there.
    Attached Images Attached Images