Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunday Double

Default Sunday Double

I almost stayed on the couch Sunday but had to go pull a couple of traps. I got them pulled and decided to call in a clearing where I'd called in a fox 3 weeks ago, but he spooked before I could get a shot. I set up the e-caller and decoy at the edge of the clearing and I tucked myself back in the treeline to blend in. I hadn't called 5 minutes when I caught something out fo the corner of my eye in the woods to my right. It was a lynx at 20 feet. I must have moved a little because it looked at me then quickly turned back to the decoy. It moved on through the woods out of my sight. I debated getting up and trying for an off hand shot but decided to wait it out figuring it would stick to the trees while stalking the decoy. Patience paid off and it appeared as I'd hoped in the trees 10 feet from the decoy. One 30 yard shot and it was over.
    I loaded the cat in the truck and motored down the road a few miles to the Tanana. I walked out onto the river and set up to call. I saw quite a bit of coyote sign so started off the e-caller with female invitation howls. I was answered by a small pack in the distance to my front and to a couple of them to my rear; all out of sight. After 20 minutes the dog behind me started threat barking. I figured I was busted by him but the couple to my front were still responding and seemd to be coming closer. I was just about to give up after 35 minutes of calling when I spotted the barker trotting right down the middle of the river. He stopped once momentarily, looked at my decoy, but appeared to be headed towards the pair to my front. I readied my gun and he stopped again almost on request. One shot at 220 yards put him down. After pacing it off, I came up to him and met with disappointment. He was a good size male, but had 3/4 inch of crusted ice on his back. Another victim of lice. I hauled him out so nothing else would catch what he had eating his remains. This is the second dog this year I've taken like this. I enjoyed being 2 for 2, but bummed about the wasted hide.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 31 Jan Lynx rr.jpg   31 Jan Double rr.JPG  
    PC gag in place.

Here's the ice on the coyote....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bad Coyote rr.JPG  
    PC gag in place.

Wow, great day. 220 yds, nice shot.....what were you shooting? Nice to know they have begun talking to each other. Sounds like you shot the top dog if he was trotting up the middle of the river towards other coyotes. I haven't seen ice on critters like that....just occassionally on the feet or a little on the underside guard hairs. You're sure that is from mange? I think nearly everything has lice, but mange is caused by mites. What causes the ice to form like that? I have seen lots of lice, but haven't seen mange in person yet. Good post.

Did you keep the 'yote? It would be interesting to see what that looks like after it is thawed out. At the very least, you might be able to donate the hide to a visitor center or a school that could use pieces of the hide for samples. Or...maybe use what is salvagable for edging on a hat or jacket? Regardless, congratulations on a very successful day!

Default Great Job

Great job, that's awesome. I've never seen a Coyote with lice like you've mentioned. Were the Coyotes you've killed with that in the same areas? Glad to know the dogs are starting to talk to each other, I'll be giving that a try here this week. Great looking Lynx too, congratulations.

I also heard some 'yotes talking to each other a week ago in Ship Creek valley. The two dogs were about a mile apart and were very vocal for about 15 minutes.

ooooh, tha agony! I am missing it all!! I wonder if my 17hmr and AR15 are lonely without me dragging them out to play...

I shot them both with my CZ .204 Ruger with 39 grain factory load Blitzking. I had been using the Varmint Grenades, but will most likely exclusively use the Blitzking. Neither critter had bullet damage. I wa way too scared about domestic dogs around my place getting whatever this yote had. Sorry, I double bagged it and disposed of it. I wasn't happy about it, but acted on the side of caution. I sure wish F&G would give better guidance.
    PC gag in place.

Default Yote

Yote's with mange(Ticks) are pretty common, as far as iam concerned you did the right thing, ive always just left them where they fell because i didnt want to touch them and spread it. As far as what it looks like, the back will be mostley hairless with sores and scabs, not good.Google Mange

Default Congrats

Nice work Bill! Haven't been out to post for awhile, we'll have to catch up sometime. Nice looking cat.

I am not biting my lip on this one. That coyote should have never been thrown away. It kind of reminds me of the Point Hope Natives claiming they did not deal with some of their dead caribou because of disease. You killed it, you should salvage whatever you can off it. If you do not do that, you should not even be hunting.

I personally do not think that coyote had lice and even if it did, there was more than enough salvagable fur on it where it should have been skinned. An ice patch on the lower back is not a green light to throw it away.

I personally think you wasted that animal. Fur looks fine everywhere else, and probably would not have been as bad as it looks if you thawed it.
    Life is short........spend it wisely and hunt sheep.

Default Throw it out!

I shot a Coyote on the Tanana last year that had "Canine lice" (according to F&G). And I was with a friend the year before that shot a coyote that had canine lice. The coyotes of the Tanana around Fairbanks have this problem and that is just how it goes. I think there was a guy who posted a wolf with a similar problem on this forum or a similar one.
    The fur on a yote' with lice is worthless and you did the right thing by removing it from the field. It's a bummer when you call one in and it is all tore up.

Quote Originally Posted by hawgquest View Post
    I am not biting my lip on this one. That coyote should have never been thrown away. It kind of reminds me of the Point Hope Natives claiming they did not deal with some of their dead caribou because of disease. You killed it, you should salvage whatever you can off it. If you do not do that, you should not even be hunting.

I personally do not think that coyote had lice and even if it did, there was more than enough salvagable fur on it where it should have been skinned. An ice patch on the lower back is not a green light to throw it away.

I personally think you wasted that animal. Fur looks fine everywhere else, and probably would not have been as bad as it looks if you thawed it.
    I disagree on 2 counts. The first being that shooting 1 coyote to later find out it has a likely contagious condition does not equal shooting 50 plus caribou with no intention of harvesting. The second is that lice and mange can spread to other coyotes and dogs and it is not recommended that yotes with these conditions be allowed to contact pets or other animals.

OP, thank you for carefully disposing of your damaged goods, I think you did right. Would anybody like to offer an alternate explanation for the giant patch of fur missing off the back of the yote in the pic?

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    I disagree on 2 counts. The first being that shooting 1 coyote to later find out it has a likely contagious condition does not equal shooting 50 plus caribou with no intention of harvesting. The second is that lice and mange can spread to other coyotes and dogs and it is not recommended that yotes with these conditions be allowed to contact pets or other animals.

OP, thank you for carefully disposing of your damaged goods, I think you did right. Would anybody like to offer an alternate explanation for the giant patch of fur missing off the back of the yote in the pic?
    I agree completely. I consider disposal of the carcass a prudent action and result to the situation. It is a form of quarantining the illness. Responsibly disposing of a single contagiously diseased animal is hardly comparable to the excessive open range wanton waste of many food animals. Diseased caribou, yeah right, likely legal defense BS? Rediculous comparison.

Default Question

I've shot a handful of Tanana Coyotes, but have never seen anything like that on them. My question is this. If you were to put the Coyote in a large garbage bag and spray some flea/lice killer into that bag and let it sit overnight, would it completely kill the lice? Also, would that carcas and hide still pose a risk to other animals if they came into contact with it? I'm asking so that if I get one like this, which sounds like it'll happen sooner or later, I can still salvage parts of the hide if nothing else for making up a decoy or cheap ruff. I think comparing this to the slaughter of a bunch of Caribou is like comparing a parking ticket to manslaughter. Thanks.

Thank you all for your input. I will no longer be posting narratives. I doubt seriously if I will post on here again. It's been real.
    PC gag in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Sportsman View Post
    Thank you all for your input. I will no longer be posting narratives. I doubt seriously if I will post on here again. It's been real.

Now that's a shame, but unfortunetly it appears to be the sign of the times.

It was a good post though, Thank you.

Ryan
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Sportsman View Post
    Sorry to hear that, I hope you will reconsider and not let one rotten apple in the bunch ruin this site for everybody. There seems to be a rash of PETA types who can't zip their cake hole lately on this site and it's running a lot of good Alaskan's off.

I really enjoyed your post and hope you reconsider in the future if you have more success stories. I hope my questions and statements weren't a deterrant for you, I was just curious if there was a way to deal with that type of problem. Thanks again, great post and photos.

Maybe this particular coyote had a tendency to duck under low overhangs (e.g., a fallen or heavily leaning tree) and tended to lift up its hind end before its body was completely clear, hence rubbing its lower back on the bottom of the obstruction. This tendency could cause hair to break and snow to fall on the lower back, eventually forming ice chunks.

All these sportsmen on here, and I am the only one who thinks this coyote should not have been disposed of so quickly? The prudent thing to do would have been to take some pictures, and take them along with a small hide/hair sample to ADF&G and get their opinion. They have a veterinarian over there who specializes in this stuff (Fairbanks Office- Kimberly Beckman)

I am not trying to throw a log on the fire or anything, nor do I want someone to quit posting on this forum because of me. BUT, I really think throwing this coyote away without investigating the cause of the hair loss on the lower back was ethically wrong, and possibly illegal. I think it sets a very bad example on how to handle situations like that. And yes, other than the quantity and species, the principal is the same as the Point Hope deal.
    Life is short........spend it wisely and hunt sheep.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast