Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Alaska hunt 2009

Default My Alaska hunt 2009

Ok folks, here is the story of my hunt if your interested. Itís going to take a while to type this as I have one hand in a cast. Also all the armchair quarterbacks and ethics police who like to tear apart other peopleís hunts, donít go there.
    I will include some basic info now and then for people who have never done a hunt of this type. Letís start with travel to your hunting destination... I flew a direct flight from Chicago to Anchorage with Alaska Air and every thing went smoothly. Everything arrived at the proper place at the proper time. I think most people would recommend you should always try to book a direct flight when ever possible. There is less chance of things going wrong. Also realize baggage feeís apply to every flight. This could really add up quick. Upon landing at your destination Alaska Air will hold your weapons at a separate counter. You will have to go ask for your weapon and show some type of identification. I felt comfortable with this setup. I had no issues with TSA and checking my firearms for the flight. You open the case in their presence and they look inside. They give you a form to sign and you then put this form inside the gun case. This procedure took maybe 3 minutes. No big deal at all.
    I would recommend buying a darn good hard shell gun case if you fly with your firearms. After seeing what luggage goes thru I was glad I spent some coin on a good case. There is a lot of machinery and conveyer belts involved. My BOYT gun case allows you to use 2 padlocks of your choice to lock the case. I would never trust some of the integrated locks I saw on some other gun cases.
    For baggage I had a large external backpack, gun case(duh) and a carry on bag.I put the backpack inside a very large duffel bag. You donít want all the straps and waist belt getting caught in conveyer belts.
    Well, Iím finally in Alaska and I canít stand the excitement. I grab a cab and head to the Millenium hotel where I had reservations. Nice place with a real Alaska theme. After checking in I wanted to go and visit the infamous Barneyís sport chalet so back into another cab we go. Cool place and you guys are right, itís smaller than you think for such a large following. Ya, Bob got some of my hard earned cash.
    Well the only thing left now is to wait for the Alaska-Yukon trails shuttle to pick me up in the morning and take me to HealyÖ.To be continuedÖ..

Default flights

good info on the flights Ken, you are right baggage costs do skyrocket with each flight.To give you an idea of why hunting/fishing trips costs are so high, I am on the show circuit right now trying to book guys like you and have been for weeks. Each flight to a different city hurts! It getting almost to the point where it would be cheaper to drive. Looking forward to the rest of your story!

Well, the shuttle ride up hwy 3 to Healy was fairly uneventful but I did enjoy the scenery. I will throw a few pics in here of Mount McKinley. At this point the mountain is something like 200 miles away.IMG_1780.jpgIMG_1781.jpg

When I got to my motel in Healy, I was just standing outside on the side walk with all my gear just soaking everything in. Two guys walked up and asked if I was Ken. Turns out these 2 gentlemen were hunting with the same outfitter I was. They had already talked to the outfitter that morning and he had asked them to keep their eyes open for a confused looking wanna be sheep hunter from Wisconsin, that was me. Eric & John also told me that they had just met two hunters who had been flown out of the bush the day before as they just completed their hunts with the same outfitter. These two hunters had done very well on their hunt. I was dying to hear their stories and see their trophies so we all agreed to get together later on. The 5 of us did get together later on and man the stories got me pumped.

We all decided to kill some time after dinner and go for a short ride with their rental car. Just a few blocks from (downtown) Healy a cow moose and her calf step out in front of us. Wow, I know moose are big but cmon,the legs alone are 5 feet tall.

The next morning we meet the outfitter and I find out Iím the first one to fly out. We get my gear in his truck and we head down the road to Healy international airport and load the super cub. At this point Iím just about to wet my pants with excitement. I had never flown before in a plane this size. I have to tell you, when that plane lifted off,WAY COOL. Worth the price of admission right there..To be continued

Ok, whats up with the little bitty pics? What am I doing wrong?

If you click on them they will open up. If you go here BrianM goes over how to use photobucket. Very easy and the pics show full size in the thread.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Engel View Post
    Ok, whats up with the little bitty pics? What am I doing wrong?
    No worries, the mountain more than makes up for the size of the pics.

Also all the armchair quarterbacks and ethics police who like to tear apart other people’s hunts, don’t go there.
    Looking forward to the report, but this statement made me wonder...is there something questionable about your hunt that might raise red flags with the "ethics police and armchair QBs"? Just seems like an odd statement to make for an ordinary hunt report.

Hurry up Ken. I'm really looking forward to the ethics police and armchair QB's. A good post always contains a little controversy!!
    Hey, maybe you could spice things up if they ain't controversial enough............haha!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Hurry up Ken. I'm really looking forward to the ethics police and armchair QB's. !
    Ummmm....Your one of them, you know that right?

Ken have your wife type for you!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Hurry up Ken. I'm really looking forward to the ethics police and armchair QB's. A good post always contains a little controversy!!
    Hey, maybe you could spice things up if they ain't controversial enough............haha!
    Wow...things slow there in Nome, Mike?
    No Muktuk to stir?....<grin>

Relax, Ken.
    Lets see and read some of your adventure...
    Proud to be an American!

No, there should be no controversy or ethics police needed. But this is the internet and thatís the direction most storylines head nowadays. Straight downhill... Itís also the reason most people wonít post their hunts anymore. Who needs the grief? Be patient and be nice. Ken

No, there should be no controversy or ethics police needed. But this is the internet and thatís the direction most storylines head nowadays. Straight downhill... Itís also the reason most people wonít post their hunts anymore. Who needs the grief? Be patient and be nice. Ken
    Can I see more pics soon pretty please with a cherry on top?

no good. no pic here...Grrrrrrrrrr.

Default Hunt

Hey, just type, the pictures can come later <grin>

No, there should be no controversy or ethics police needed. But this is the internet and that’s the direction most storylines head nowadays. Straight downhill... It’s also the reason most people won’t post their hunts anymore. Who needs the grief? Be patient and be nice. Ken
    You haven't posted here much have you, giv'em time..............

J/K, looking forward to reading your story and seeing those pics.

Default Posting

Did you notice i GRINNED. Hope no harm was done as none was meant.

Ok, we took a big detour down a long road called photo bucket crash course. Anyhoo I think we are back on track. Where were we?

The flight in the super cub was super cool. I will try to give the people who have never flown in a cub before an idea of what this like. First the pilot will give you a demonstration of how he thinks you should enter the cabin, notice I said ďhow he thinksĒ. Anyone over 4 foot tall will simply have to lower their dignity and self-respect and become some form of contortionist and do whatever it takes to wiggle you body into your seat.

That was the easy part. Now that you are actually sitting on your seat, draw your legs up into your chest to the point where breathing becomes almost uncomfortable. If you can bite your own knee cap without leaning forward, your almost there. Once the pilot enters the cockpit and takes up the remaining 2 square feet in front of you, I found it best to breathe heavily thru my nose which in turn keeps the hair on the back of his head out of my eyes and nose. This also makes it easier to see things outside. If you can time your breathing to inhale while he is somehow leaning forward, all the better. In all seriousness I found the cub flight to be 1 of the highlights of my trip.

At this point letís see if my crash course in photo bucket worked. Hopefully the next thing you will see is 2 pics of the flight in. Let us prayÖÖ..

Looks like you have the photo bucket posting down. Well done.

I spend a fair amount of time in the back seat of a super cub. I can feel your pain. Once I am in, I am okay for a couple of hours, but getting my 6' 6" frame in and out gets some interesting looks. Please, continue the hunt.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Ok, we are rolling along now folks. As mentioned before the flight in was cool. WE did see some big game along the way, Moose and sheep. One Bull Moose made my eyes open pretty wide. When you actually see those 5 foot wide white satellite dishes on top their head, you quickly realize things really are bigger in Alaska.

We continued flying along. At this point we were flying parallel along a river and just as quick as it will take to tell this, the motor suddenly cut way back and we just simply landed on the rocks alongside the river.One minute your flying along and the next minute youíre bouncing on rocks. Well, I was at Base camp.

I met the Guide and packer and I immediately felt pretty comfortable with both of them. I had heard of both of them while speaking to former clients and all had good things to say. I felt like I was in pretty good hands. The guide,( he needs a name so I will call him Tim from now on) decided that we would spend the rest of the day at base camp getting things ready. You canít hunt the day you fly anyhow(right guys).( This is where those pesky ethics police like to pop up). How am I doing so far? Anyone paying attention?

We spent the afternoon going thru gear and packs and food and such. I couldnít handle being so close to my hunt but yet so far away. The next day is a long ways off for me! I paced in circles like a lunatic all afternoon and into the evening. I took some little walks and got some photos. Hey, want to see some. I know how to do it now. OK.

Spoiled One, if your 6' 6". I bet you would have fun squeezing in. Thanks for the link on how to post pic's. Ken

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast