Thread: caribou hunt

Question caribou hunt

Starting to plan my 2008 caribou hunt, Bringing up family from the lower 48 a hunt of a lift time. Pleace help were to go and help finding a guide/outfiter for some nice bulls? THANKS

Default budget

Every thing depends on your total budget for this hunt, factor in getting to and from alaska, getting meat and antlers back with you. , What kind of gear do you have now and so on

Ak02 is absolutely correct. The budget will dictate to a great extent where you will go for caribou on a fly out or float. The cheapest overall is probably Anchorage, Lake Hood. Expanding out gains added cost for airplane tickets, shipment of camp gear, meat, trophies, etc. Also perhaps more over night costs for hotel and food in town. Things add up in a hurry.
    You don't need a guide for caribou, you can do it yourself. LEt us know a little more. If you are going to do a guided hunt, it will, of course, cost more.

Default another thing..

You said your whole family? What are the age ranges? Health issue's? Those are a couple more things to think about before flying out for a hunt in AK. We need more info about you and your party.

I second what Bills said. Caribou you don't need a guide. Get hunt Alaska now book. this will help you with your plans on coming up. I would look into hunting out of Kotzebue if it was me.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

got some good information on the link below that might help you out. Main thing is to do your research and do a lot of it.

Default caribou hunt

There will be 6 of us, 5 elk and deer hunters from Ore, 1 alaskan been here for 27 years. Age 30-60 fair to good shape. Looking for outfitted hunt for caribou from Fairbanks would work best. upto $4000.00 P/P.
    THANKS TED

For the hunt of a lifetime, I would at least converse with these guys
    www.pristineventures.com.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Self guided?

Couple of you stated you dont need a guide for bou, so what tips would you give to someone looking that route?
    I hope Im not hijacking your post Fishon..
    My brothers, father, and I are also coming up in '08 and was planing a combo hunt for Moose/Caribou. We would like to do it DIY with a transporter or something arround those lines..

If anyone is coming down to Utah in the next little while and would like some info, like always give me a holar and ill do my best to get you set up..

Thanks
    Russ
    "Give someone a fish and you will feed them for a day. Show someone how to fish and they will just steal your fishing hole and catch more fish then you. Screw them, let them eat chicken!!"

Russ, I was stationed in Utah before they sent me up here and I retired. There's a alot of choices but one of the best bets would be to take Martintrapper's advise and at least give a calll to Larry at Pristine Ventures. He arranges hunts and does an excellent job. Other than that you would need to do research (you know this) by talking to the area biologists and then air services for the drop off. Do you want to do a stationary hunt or a float? Usually you won't find moose and caribou in the same place so it may require a move if you don't want to do a float. If you contact the air services yourself, call as many references as you can to get a good feeling about the service. A float trip is a fantastic experience but its something you need to prepare for. If you are considering going that route, I would recommend Pristine Ventures "Float Hunting Alaska Vol 1" DVD.