Thread: Exped Sleeping Mats

Default Exped Sleeping Mats

Hello all, I wanted to see if anyone has experience using the Exped sleeping mats. I am specifically looking at the Downmat 9 Pump Deluxe. All the reviews I've read have been really good, but WOW, the price is pretty high ($199). I'm not sure how others are feeling, but I find that as the years pass, the pads I've used that worked (TR), don't any longer. I seem to feel the rocks/hard ground much more than before. I like the sound of 3.5 inches of thickness and an R rating of 8. I know there are some new TR's that that are thicker than in the past, but they weigh a lot (5 lbs +).
    Any thoughts/insights will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Moose44

I bought one of these for a camping trip to Iceland a few years ago and love it. I had a thermarest before that and this is hands down better. It packs up smaller and way more comfortable.

I found that by not filling it up to be rock hard made it better, it cradled my body better.

It does take a bit to fill it, you actually use the storage bag to fill it with air which is a bit wonky but it does work.

Later
    Joe

I looked at them but saved money on the big agnes. Hard to beat them for the $$. Great warranty too!

I have the Exped DownMat 7 Deluxe. Blows my old Thermarest out of the water - so do a number of other mats on the market these days. My biggest factor when looking for a new pad was to get something that was wide enough that my arms were not hanging off the side of the pad while sleeping (my biggest pet peeve of sleeping pads), yet get something that was relatively lighweight and at least 2.5" thick. The Exped met those criteria. I spent about 40 days sleeping on my Exped this past year. Overall, I like it, no complaints. As for price ($170), yeah it's a hard pill to swallow. I bought mine at REI using purchase points combined with a storewide sale. In the end I paid as much for it as a Big Agnes pad costs. To be honest, if I were to do it all over I'd probably just go with the Big Agnes. I've heard Exped has good customer service but haven't dealt with them first hand yet.

I've heard the cross sectional "I" beam design of the BA and Exped pads are especially nice if you sleep on your side. I tend to flop all over so the "I" beam design plus something that is wide enough to go beyond shoulder width is nice for me.

I recently bought the Exped Synmat 9, but have only tried it out briefly. It certainly is comfortable, and I figured that R6 was plenty warm for what I will be using it for. Self inflating pads are only about R2 per inch, so mine should be about as warm as the 3" foam self inflation pad I was using before. A Downmat 9 is like adding another inch of foam for warmth, and could be nice for winter camping. To get anything close in a Big Agnes you would have to go with their Dual Core pad, and that pretty much shoots down the price advantage.

The built in pump was what won me over from the Big Agnes pads. It should keep more of the moisture out, although it's still a bit of an effort to pump it up. I think I'll be close to a large raft pump whenever I use mine, so that should make life simpler. Another nice feature of the Exped is the large exhaust valve, which makes the raft pump a possibility. BA pads have smaller valves, inflate & deflate slowly, and are sometimes difficult to get all the air out. The Exped seems to have that aspect down pat.

I love the air down time on the BA. I sneak an arm out of the bag and spin the valve then snuggle back in for a couple mins listening to all that comfortable air whine as it escapes. As it goes empty the feeling of hard ground under me is extra incentive to get my butt out of the bag!!

I have an Exped Downmat 9 Delux. Nothing but good things to say about it. My dad also has one and he claims it is more comfortable than his bed at home. That might be the same effect as eating Mountain House when you are on a backpack hunt and thinking "This is great, why don't I eat this all the time?", but then when you are back to town, you'd never consider eating Mtn House.

They are very warm, as light as I need, I like how wide they are, and they are down right comfy to sleep on. The up front cost is no fun, but if you figure it as cozy sleep for a ten day hunt at 20 bucks a night, it's paid for. The new model has the pump built in, and it seems slow to fill, but it really only takes a minute or two. I can't compare it to a Big Agnes, as I have never used one of those, but these days my Thermarest, which had served me well for years, stays home.

I briefly owned an Exped downmat 9 and exchanged it for a Thermarest Prolite Plus.

I planned on taking the Exped mat up Denali and not taking a closed cell foam pad. The problem with this scenario is that I have now known three different people with Exped mats and every mat has leaked. Definitely not something you can trust in my opinion.

My Exped started leaking after the last hunt of last year after two seasons of use. I haven't had it in the bathtub yet to figure out the leak, but it's always been on a cot.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Default Exped Mats

All, thanks for the replies. Sorry to hear a few folks have had issues with their mats. Has anyone tried their customer service? I understand they have a 5 year warranty and stand behind their gear. I haven't made the plunge yet, but have an upcoming 3-week trip staying on cots where I will try it. Its not the same as a hunting trip, but I can get a decent feel for it. I talked with REI and they said to try it and if I didn't like, bring it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose44 View Post
    All, thanks for the replies. Sorry to hear a few folks have had issues with their mats. Has anyone tried their customer service? I understand they have a 5 year warranty and stand behind their gear. I haven't made the plunge yet, but have an upcoming 3-week trip staying on cots where I will try it. Its not the same as a hunting trip, but I can get a decent feel for it. I talked with REI and they said to try it and if I didn't like, bring it back.
    PM me.....I'm a lab rat for Outdoor Research and have some personal preferences.