Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Halibut Jigs - Types & weights

Default Halibut Jigs - Types & weights

I was going through the post about jigging depths and didn't want to hijack so here is my question.

I've jigged for butts with the standard 16 oz with an 8" scampi tail many times. Last year I got introduced to Pipe Jigs. I also saw a pic of AK Capt with a good sized butt with what looked like one of the japanese type jigs. What's your favorite jig and what other types have you tried and had success with?

Scampi jigs are a wonderful thing. I like to put a glitter skirt on it in blue. That helps alot.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Butt Jigs

I have a wally whale jig (ok several) that has been great for me the last few years. Not sure of the name. It is an odd shape a skirt on it and single hooks split ringed to a brass eyes one on each side. IT IS PROBABLY 10-12 oz.
    Vik-E jigs have done well for me also at times.
    I am going to make some of my own jigs from a couple of molds I bought from Barlows and a couple more molds I bought on EBAY.
    The Barlows molds are 24oz and 16oz spire point jigs. I also bought some special Glow paint to paint them with.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I've used leadheads with scampis, grub tails and hoochies, butterfly/speed jigs, crippled herring, point wilson dart, diamond jigs and b2 squid jigs (I'm sure I've forgotten some) Sometimes the fish are picky, sometimes they'll hit anything. They'll also catch lingcod, rockfish and sometimes you nail a salmon.

I go with the lightest jig I can get away with, sometimes that's an 6 oz, sometimes it's a 24 oz.

Default grouper jigs

I have used exclusively grouper jigs for 15 years in prince william sound. These are found in bass pro shop catalog--all weights depending on the run of the current. I have had the best luck with white head and chartreuse tail, add an uncle josh pork tail and a smidgeon of baby octopus------period that is it!

16 or 24 oz. jig with a boneyard baits 11' curly tail. Works wonders.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    16 or 24 oz. jig with a boneyard baits 11' curly tail. Works wonders.
    I too love the Boneyard bait grubs, but they are very poorly made. The plastic is very cheap stuff and you'll lose lots of jigs to the fact that the fish will shred them after 1 or 2 fish. I like Kalin's personally.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

You can repair grubs by heating them up and sticking them back together.

Lings are hard on tails, after a couple of fish you need to repair the grub or change it out if their isn't anything left to repair

Which is one up sides of the metal slab jigs, teeth can't hurt em

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    I too love the Boneyard bait grubs, but they are very poorly made. The plastic is very cheap stuff and you'll lose lots of jigs to the fact that the fish will shred them after 1 or 2 fish. I like Kalin's personally.

I have that problem once or twice out last year. But for the most part I can go along time with one grub on.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

This year I am going to make some copper pipe jigs. One inch pipe filled with lead will weigh about 5 ounces for every inch of length. Add a couple of hooks and make some up to 8-10 inches long so we can try deeper plus they will hold better in the currents.
    Some fisherman report really good results with the copper as the electrolosis supposely attracks the fish and causes them to think the jig is injured prey. It's worth a shot to try.

If copper doesnt pan out plan to try some chrome tubing. Either way, a strip of fluorescent tape or paint and a piece of sponge taped to it soaked in herring oil may be the ticket.
    Tennessee

Hey Paul H,

Love the picture. What size jig is that and what size hook on the bottom. I also see you have it rigged with an "assist hook" off the top. Any thoughts as to which hook gets the most work? Any thing else you can think of with this set up?

Default Pipe Jigs

Snowwolf -

I got introduced to pipe jigs this year fishing out of Craig. We had some awesome results with both Halibut and Lingcod. Here is a link to some video of a 100+ caught on a pipe jig.

http://video.theoutdoorline.com/vide...-fishing-video

Right at the end my wife zooms in a little on the jig while it's being held by our friend Robert.

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    I have that problem once or twice out last year. But for the most part I can go along time with one grub on.
    i agree that some one with jigging knowledge could/can use one for a long time and many fish, but if you let one chomp and chew on the big grubs they wont last long!

That's a 14 oz jig, I got 3 of them off of e-bay. When I got them they were relatively cheep, and I wished I'd gotten alot more as the three I got were lost the same year bummer as the lings really seemed to like them. B&J carries similar jigs, and when you account for shipping, it's a better deal than most jigs off of e-bay.

Now I have all of those jigs rigged with the assist hook and no bottom hook. The assist hooks seem to be fine at catching the fish, and I have a feeling the bottom hook accounted for some of the lost jigs. Also don't use dacron to rig up your own assist hooks, it's too limp and the line will wrap around your line on the drop. I've used the commercially rigged hooks that use kevlar, and have also used 300# mono.

I really like the butterfly style jigs. I'd say get an assortment from 8 oz to 14 oz, maybe one or two of the real heavy ones.

I have some of the squid type lead head jigs bought on ebay that work great. But I have a couple Silver Fox Candlefish jigs that absolutely outfish everything I have. They are only 6 or 7 oz, but if I could find them again, I would buy the whole lot of them.

Talking Butt Jig

Here's my favorite Halibut jig (12oz.):

It has worked for big Butts:

And big Lings Too:

I'll hold on to my Bible & my Guns, you can keep the change!!!

I personally love to fish for butts and lings with P-Line Hex Bars. I generally use the 10-16 ounce versions and have done very well with them. I do, however, immediately switch the sub-par treble hook out for 4/0 or 5/0 Gamakatsu trebles. We usally use a combo of salmon carcasses and herring soaked in "butt juice" on the business end of the setup. Here's a pic from their website, along with a couple others of the aftermath of one of our many experiences out of Whittier. Notice the hex bar hanging out of her mouth...

Attached Images Attached Images

Default I think Paul's jigs are....

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Sloka View Post
    Hey Paul H,

Love the picture. What size jig is that and what size hook on the bottom. I also see you have it rigged with an "assist hook" off the top. Any thoughts as to which hook gets the most work? Any thing else you can think of with this set up?
    I think the jig Paul H showed is a Williamson Abyss "speed jig", they make a chunkier one called the Vortex. Tried the Abyss last year, pretty good jig and goes down really fast but I think the Vortexes we bought this year will flutter better, and they are (or were) on a good sale at Cabelas. Both come with high quality assist hooks, and they hook up great and the jigs seems to not get hung up. I switched my crippled herring and other jigs to the assist hooks, I really like them. I had left the bottom hook on some, and all the fish (ling, halibut, yelloweye) got caught on the assist hook.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default jigs

1) Krippled herring in all oz weights(rigged stinger hook like those on expensive jigs)
    2) 16 or 21 oz lead weight on dropper loop with B2 triple glow rigged with circle hook
    3)Pline hex bar(rigged like those expensive jigs)

I dont use lead head heads unless the client agrees to land the fish themselves(they are dangerous when the halibut thows them back at you)

I prefer a live bait on a dropper loop with a 16oz ball and super mutu owner hook.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Our baits are not poorly made we sell thousands of them every year and have had no complaints we strive to please our customers thank you......
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast